Textpattern is a PHP-based open-source content management system that is popular with both bloggers and website owners. The system is flexible and can be used for a very wide variety of purposes. Like other open-source CMS options, such as WordPress and Drupal, Textpattern has a strong online community with plenty of resources available. Here you’ll find the most comprehensive collection of resources, tutorials, plug-ins and more for Textpattern.
You may also be interested in these related posts:
1. Official Resources Link
Textpattern is well documented, and these official resources are tremendous resources for new and experienced developers alike. You’ll find answers to most of your questions, and you can get acquainted with the Textpattern community.
Why Textpattern? An Interview with the Authors of Textpattern Solutions6
Digital Web Magazine did this interview last year. If you’re considering using Textpattern or just want to learn more about it, the interview is worth the read.
2. Community Resources Link
In addition to assembling the official resources, the online community has contributed and collaborated on these resources:
Textpattern programmers and designers can join xPattern. xPattern is an open-source fork based on the 4.0 dev branch of Textpattern. Its goal is to improve the application to better fit the needs and desires of the community at large.
At CodeSnippets, developers can share all kinds of source-code snippets, including a decent selection for Textpattern.
3. Beginner’s Resources Link
If you’re new to Textpattern or new to developing and designing for Textpattern, these resources are excellent starting points. They will help you quickly become comfortable with the system and its essential functions.
This is a great resource for new users of Textpattern, and it’s also something you may want to bookmark for when you have a question in future.
This resource is a “manual for impatient users.” This resource will help you become more familiar with various TXP tags.
Textpattern Solutions is a book, not just for beginners, that can make learning Textpattern easier than visiting a number of different websites to get similar information.
Understanding Textpattern Building Blocks
This is a rather detailed article that will help you understand the basic building blocks (tags, pages, forms, etc.) if you’re unfamiliar with Textpattern.
Textpattern Building Blocks Mechanics
A follow-up to the previous article that takes you a step further and helps you get started with your own Textpattern-powered website.
Textpattern CMS or Blog?
This article looks at the issue of using Textpattern as both a CMS and a blogging platform.
4. Tutorials Link
Taking your knowledge of Textpattern development a step further is very achievable with the amount of tutorials and articles available from other developers. This is a collection of some of the best places to find tutorials and a sampling of individual tutorials on various topics.
Managing Static Pages
If you’re using Textpattern as a CMS instead of just for blogging, you’ll want to set up static pages.
Textpattern: Flexible Article Placement
If you want more control over static pages, this tutorial can help (be sure to read to the end because the original post has been updated).
Using Textpattern to Manage an E-Commerce Website
Textpattern can be used for much more than just blogging. This article/tutorial looks at how the CMS can be used to power an effective e-commerce website.
Anatomy of a Textpattern Plug-In
This four-part series is “a PHP developer’s guide to writing Textpattern plug-ins.”
- Part One
- Part Two
- Part Three
- Part Four
Avoiding the Digg Effect on Textpattern: How to Install Page Caching
For websites that get or will get high traffic volumes in a short period of time, page caching can play a critical role in the performance of the website.
A Better Textpattern Search
This tutorial shows you how to improve the standard Textpattern search functionality.
5. Templates/Themes Link
Textpattern users are fortunate to have a large number of themes and templates freely available for their use. If you’re a designer or developer, you can modify these themes or study them as you learn more about building your own. The list below features many of the best places to find Textpattern themes.
Textplates ran a competition for developing Textpattern templates, and the submitted templates are available for free downloading.
A sizeable collection of Textpattern themes is offered here.
More Admin Themes
Nemoorange.com offers seven different admin themes for downloading.
6. Plug-ins Link
Like other content management systems, Textpattern comes out of the box as a lean version that can be adapted or added to by using plug-ins. The list below includes the best places to find plug-ins, as well as some useful plug-ins to use in your own projects.
HicksDesign provides a list of recommended plug-ins.
Plug-Ins from Utter Plush
More than 15 plug-ins are available from Utter Plush.
7. Textpattern Design Inspiration Link
If you’re building a blog or website using Textpattern you may want to see what others are doing with the platform. The resources below will provide you with design inspiration specific to Textpattern.
CMSShowcase currently includes more than 60 inspirational designs built on Textpattern.
The Textpattern tag at CSS Based includes over 20 exemplary designs.
8. Compared to Other CMS Platforms Link
How does Textpattern stack up against WordPress, ExpressionEngine and Drupal?
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/15/wordpress-developers-toolbox/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/24/drupal-developers-toolbox/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/10/29/expressionengine-developers-toolbox/
- 4 http://textpattern.com/
- 5 http://textpattern.com/
- 6 http://www.digital-web.com/articles/why_textpattern/
- 7 http://www.digital-web.com/articles/why_textpattern/
- 8 http://forum.textpattern.com/
- 9 http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Index
- 10 http://textpattern.com/faq
- 11 http://textpattern.org/
- 12 http://textpattern.org/
- 13 http://xpattern.net/
- 14 http://xpattern.net/
- 15 http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Textpattern_First_Steps
- 16 http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Textpattern_First_Steps
- 17 http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Tag_Reference
- 18 http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Tag_Reference
- 19 http://www.jdueck.net/article/10/textpattern-semantics
- 20 http://www.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Tutorials
- 21 http://txptips.com/
- 22 http://txptips.com/
- 23 http://babblative.com/article/your-first-textpattern-theme
- 24 http://textpattern.com/faq/31/how-do-i-manage-static-pages
- 25 http://textpattern.com/faq/31/how-do-i-manage-static-pages
- 26 http://textpattern.com/faq/34/how-do-i-use-php-code
- 27 http://textpattern.org/tutorials/447/setting-up-a-thumbnail--gallery
- 28 http://textpattern.org/tutorials/447/setting-up-a-thumbnail--gallery
- 29 http://www.wilshireone.com/article/95/textpattern-comments-tutorial
- 30 http://www.dev.michaelgravel.com/text/podcasting-with-textpattern-a-tutorial
- 31 http://hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/playlist-a-how-to
- 32 http://www.last.fm
- 33 http://hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/playlist-a-how-to
- 34 http://www.graphicpush.com/moving-txp-from-one-install-to-another
- 35 http://www.graphicpush.com/moving-txp-from-one-install-to-another
- 36 http://textgarden.org/
- 37 http://textgarden.org/
- 38 http://www.siteground.com/textpattern-hosting/textpattern-templates.htm
- 39 http://www.siteground.com/textpattern-hosting/textpattern-templates.htm
- 40 http://txp-templates.com/
- 41 http://textpattern.org/templates
- 42 http://www.flickr.com/photos/hicksdesign/989595974/
- 43 http://www.flickr.com/photos/hicksdesign/989595974/
- 44 http://textpattern.org/plugins
- 45 http://textpattern.org/plugins
- 46 http://www.wilshireone.com/textpattern-plugins
- 47 http://www.wilshireone.com/textpattern-plugins
- 48 http://sitening.com/blog/8-essential-plugins-for-textpattern/
- 49 http://www.wilshireone.com/article/45/best-textpattern-plugins--hacks
- 50 http://www.graphicpush.com/seo-plugins-for-textpattern
- 51 http://www.graphicpush.com/seo-plugins-for-textpattern
- 52 http://simplepie.org/wiki/plugins/textpattern/simplepie_plugin_for_textpattern
- 53 http://simplepie.org/wiki/plugins/textpattern/simplepie_plugin_for_textpattern
- 54 http://textpattern.org/plugins/433/pap_xpoll
- 55 http://code.google.com/p/vdhflickr/
- 56 http://textpattern.org/plugins/1038/arc_popular_category_cloud
- 57 http://www.dev.michaelgravel.com/text/plugin-mg_recent_comments
- 58 http://www.dev.michaelgravel.com/text/plugin-mg_page_title
- 59 http://textpattern.org/plugins/1038/arc_popular_category_cloud
- 60 http://textpattern.org/plugins/1001/htn_antispam
- 61 http://textpattern.org/plugins/1001/htn_antispam
- 62 http://textpattern.org/plugins/641/ebl_txp_akismet
- 63 http://textpattern.org/plugins/625/jas_popular_articles
- 64 http://welovetxp.com/
- 65 http://welovetxp.com/
- 66 http://txpmag.com/all_sites/
- 67 http://txpmag.com/all_sites/
- 68 http://www.cssglance.com/category/gallery/cmsblog/textpattern/
- 69 http://hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/expression-engine-vs-textpattern
- 70 http://hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/expression-engine-vs-textpattern
- 71 http://www.robspangler.com/blog/wordpress-vs-textpattern
- 72 http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=21343
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.