Because we have published several other comprehensive resources for developers of other content management systems (CMSs), we didn’t want to forget Movable Type1. Like the other CMSs we have featured, Movable Type is a popular choice for bloggers, website owners and those developing websites. Over the years, Movable Type has made many advancements and had many changes in its system.
The current version is even capable of creating social networking websites with many users. The most recent version, 4.21, is available open source for developers. Individual bloggers (those who are not incorporated) can download Movable Type for free, while there are a few different licensing options for businesses.
This post provides you with a large collection of resources for working with Movable Type, whether you’re just getting started or have plenty of experience. We’ll feature some official resources, such as documentation, as well as plenty of tutorials, sources of inspiration, the best places to find plug-ins, resources for working with templates and styles and more.
For similar resources related to other CMSs, please see:
- WordPress Developer’s Toolbox2
- Drupal Developer’s Toolbox3
- ExpressionEngine Developer’s Toolbox4
- Textpattern Developer’s Toolbox5
1. Official Resources Link
Six Apart and Movable Type provide excellent documentation and resources for users and developers. This is typically the best place to go if you’re just getting familiar with Movable Type, and the resources listed here are also good to keep bookmarked for when you’ll need them in the future.
Movable Type Pricing FAQ17
Because of the different licensing scenarios involved with Movable Type, designers and developers who are working with Movable Type for client websites are likely to have some questions.
Movable Type Forums
Looking for some help with Movable Type in your work? The forums are home to an active community of users who are helping each other. Your question may have already been asked and answered by others, and if not, you can post the question yourself.
Designer and Developer’s Guide to Movable Type
If you plan to work with Movable Type as a designer or developer, this is a resource that you may want to bookmark:
2. Getting Started Link
In addition to the official resources listed above, these items are especially useful for those who are new to Movable Type.
Movable Type 4 Installation, Step by Step with Screenshots
This is a very helpful resource for getting started with Movable Type. Step-by-step instructions are provided to lead you through the process, and the screenshots help with visualization.
3. Tutorials Link
The Movable Type community has provided a wide variety of tutorials. Some focus on using the system, and others are especially relevant for developing your own themes or making some customizations to exiting themes.
How to Customize Default Styles in MT432
This is a tutorial for beginners who have chosen one of the default styles and now want to customize it. This is a quick tutorial that covers the basics of styling your Movable Type blog or website.
Template Macros: The Coolest Template Trick You Don’t Know About35
This article/tutorial goes into a real-world example of the power of template macros in MT4.
Creating a Photo Gallery Using jQuery and the MT Asset Manager36
In this tutorial you’ll be led through the fairly simple process of setting up a nice photo gallery with MT.
Easy Surveys and Polls38
If you’re interested in creating your own poll, this article will show you how to code it. You may also want to see this follow-up article39 that provides some adjustments to the original.
List Random Authors40
Many blogs powered by Movable Type include multiple authors. This tutorial provides you with the code to include a randomly generated list of authors with links to their archives.
Alternating Comment Styles with Movable Type 441
Comment styling is a great way to improve the overall look of a blog and improve usability for readers and commenters. This tutorial provides the code to produce different styles for alternating comments.
Things to Consider When Using Movable Type as a CMS53
Devlounge published a post just a few months ago that focuses on using MT for CMS purposes rather than just for blogging.
Get an Email List of All Authors on Your System55
If you’re managing a multi-author Movable Type blog, this tutorial will show you how you can quickly create an email list of all authors. The code is also provided to generate an email list of commenters.
4. Inspiration Link
There are a few resources that are excellent for seeing what others are doing with Movable Type-powered websites and blogs.
Movable Love is a gallery that showcases only websites and blogs powered by Movable Type. Those that are showcased are great for inspiration, but the archives are not very extensive.
Unmatched Style is a general gallery, but the Movable Type tag includes a few websites powered by MT.
CMS Showcase categories feature websites arranged by CMS. There is a small collection for Movable Type.
5. Plugins Link
Like WordPress, Movable Type users and developers have a huge number of available plug-ins to choose from. Rather than trying to list individual plug-ins of note, below you will see the best websites for finding plugins. On these websites, you’ll find a wide variety of plug-ins for all sorts of purposes.
Movalog currently has 18 different plug-ins available for download. Its plug-ins cover a variety of different aspects of working with Movable Type, including , , and more.
6. Templates, Styles and Themes Link
Movable Type makes extensive use of templates to power websites and blogs. Both templates and styles are used to create the themes used by bloggers and website owners. There are a number of resources for working with templates and styles, and there are also some themes available for download. The resources listed here will help you build or customize a website for yourself or clients.
Movable Type Design Assistant69
The design assistant is a helpful tool, especially for getting started with designing for Movable Type. With the design assistant, you can choose from a number of basic styles and layouts, and you can apply your own CSS to quickly get a custom theme.
Movable Type Style Generator
Movalog has a helpful style generator that allows you to choose from and download a few different layouts. This could be a starting point in your theme development.
Random Style Generator
Movalog also has a fun, random style generator that you may want to play around with. You simply click a button for a new style, which is randomly generated. If you find something you like, you can download or edit it.
Another Random Style Generator
Refresh the page and you’ll get a different style. When you find one that you like you can download the style.
Two free themes are available from CMSTheme.net.
7. Movable Type Compared to Other CMS Options Link
If you’re considering using Movable Type or if you just want to see how it stacks up against some of the other options, you may be interested in reading the opinions of other users.
Movable Type 4 vs, WordPress 2.287
A little over a year ago, Mashable did an in-depth comparison of the two. Both MT and WP change and evolve so quickly that this post is not completely relevant today, but much of the information is still helpful for a comparison.
WordPress vs. Movable Type: The Smackdown Comparison90
iThemes published a post from an experienced user of both, with comparisons of several different areas.
- 1 http://movabletype.com/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/15/wordpress-developers-toolbox/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/24/drupal-developers-toolbox/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/10/29/expressionengine-developers-toolbox/
- 5 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/06/textpattern-developers-toolbox/
- 6 http://www.movabletype.com/
- 7 http://www.movabletype.com/
- 8 http://movabletype.org
- 9 http://www.movabletype.org/opensource/
- 10 http://plugins.movabletype.org/
- 11 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/
- 12 http://wiki.movabletype.org/Main_Page
- 13 http://movabletype.org
- 14 http://www.sixapart.com/
- 15 http://www.typepad.com/
- 16 http://www.sixapart.com/
- 17 http://www.movabletype.com/download/pricing-faq.html
- 18 http://www.movabletype.com/services/partners/reseller/
- 19 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/kb/index.html
- 20 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/kb/index.html
- 21 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/appendices/tags/
- 22 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/appendices/tags/
- 23 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/designer/
- 24 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/developer/
- 25 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/installation/
- 26 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/installation/
- 27 http://www.movabletweak.com/templates/movable_type_template_map_pdf.php
- 28 http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/designer/creating-themes-for-movable-type.html
- 29 http://www.eatdrinksleepmovabletype.com/tutorials/selectively_formatting_an_entry/
- 30 http://www.devlounge.net/code/make-your-blog-more-evergreen-with-movable-type
- 31 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/000282recent_comments/
- 32 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/how_to_customize_default_styles_in_mt4/
- 33 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/001529show_entry_categories/
- 34 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/working_with_mo/
- 35 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/template_macros_the_coolest_template_trick_you_don/
- 36 http://www.devlounge.net/code/creating-a-photo-gallery-using-jquery-and-the-mt-asset-manager
- 37 http://www.devlounge.net/code/creating-a-photo-gallery-using-jquery-and-the-mt-asset-manager
- 38 http://www.eatdrinksleepmovabletype.com/tutorials/easy_surveys_and_polls_with_a_movable_type_weblog/
- 39 http://slapnose.com/archives/2007/02/14/creating_polls_in_movable_type/
- 40 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/list_random_authors/
- 41 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/alternating_comment_styles_with_movable_type_4/
- 42 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/create_a_contact_form_using_mt4/
- 43 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/rotating_banner_ads_mt_style/
- 44 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/tag_cloud_on_php_in_movable_type_4/
- 45 http://www.movabletweak.com/categories/creative_subcategories.php
- 46 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/08/creating_drop-down_navigation_with_movable_type.html
- 47 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/08/creating_drop-down_navigation_with_movable_type.html
- 48 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/001865subcats_for_one_category/
- 49 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/000862pull_down_menus/
- 50 http://www.devlounge.net/code/related-entries-in-movable-type
- 51 http://www.devlounge.net/code/related-entries-in-movable-type
- 52 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/001043php_random_entries/
- 53 http://www.devlounge.net/publishing/things-to-consider-when-using-movable-type-as-a-cms
- 54 http://www.devlounge.net/publishing/things-to-consider-when-using-movable-type-as-a-cms
- 55 http://www.movabletweak.com/templates/email_list_of_all_authors.php
- 56 http://www.movabletweak.com/templates/email_list_of_all_authors.php
- 57 http://www.learningmovabletype.com/a/how_to_export_tags_from_movable_type_33x/
- 58 http://www.movabletype.com/showcase/
- 59 http://www.movabletype.com/showcase/
- 60 http://www.cssglance.com/category/gallery/cmsblog/movabletype/
- 61 http://www.cssglance.com/category/gallery/cmsblog/movabletype/
- 62 http://plugins.movabletype.org/
- 63 http://mt-hacks.com/
- 64 http://mt-hacks.com/
- 65 http://www.staggernation.com/mtplugins/
- 66 http://www.eatdrinksleepmovabletype.com/plugins/
- 67 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/styles/library
- 68 http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/styles/library
- 69 http://www.movabletype.org/design/assistant/
- 70 http://www.movabletype.org/design/assistant/
- 71 http://www.mttags.com/
- 72 http://www.mttags.com/
- 73 http://www.devlounge.net/articles/an-introduction-to-movable-type-templates
- 74 http://www.devlounge.net/articles/an-introduction-to-movable-type-templates
- 75 http://www.devlounge.net/code/anatomy-of-a-movable-type-template
- 76 http://www.devlounge.net/code/anatomy-of-a-movable-type-template
- 77 http://stopdesign.com/templates/photos/
- 78 http://stopdesign.com/templates/photos/
- 79 http://www.majordojo.com/projects/cutline/
- 80 http://www.majordojo.com/projects/cutline/
- 81 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/09/sandbox_for_movable_type.html
- 82 http://plugins.movabletype.org/sandbox/
- 83 http://sndbx.org/results/designs/
- 84 http://www.movabletype.org/2008/09/sandbox_for_movable_type.html
- 85 http://www.blogskins.com/
- 86 http://www.blogskins.com/
- 87 http://mashable.com/2007/08/15/movable-type-wordpress/
- 88 http://mashable.com/2007/08/15/movable-type-wordpress/
- 89 http://blogbuildingu.com/articles/wordpress-vs-movable-type
- 90 http://ithemes.com/wordpress-versus-movable-type-the-smackdown-comparison/
- 91 http://ithemes.com/wordpress-versus-movable-type-the-smackdown-comparison/
- 92 http://www.cmswire.com/cms/micro-cms/movable-type-40-vs-expression-engine-16-001642.php
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.