Joomla is a popular free and open-source content management system (CMS) that can be used to power all kinds of websites. After we published developer’s toolboxes for a variety of other CMS’, many readers requested a collection of resources for Joomla users and developers, so here it is. Joomla grew out of the Mambo1 CMS and has since built a large and loyal group of users, much like the other popular open-source options. What this means for users and developers is that there is a wealth of information and resources available, and in this post we’ll take a look at many of the best.
Other developer’s toolboxes from Smashing Magazine:
- WordPress Developer’s Toolbox2
- Drupal Developer’s Toolbox3
- ExpressionEngine Developer’s Toolbox4
- Textpattern Developer’s Toolbox5
- Movable Type Developer’s Toolbox6
1. Official Resources Link
Although the Joomla community of users provides plenty of valuable resources, there are also some official resources from Joomla that are worth noting:
Each working group within the Joomla community maintains its own blog to communicate with the community.
2. Getting Started Link
If you’ve decided that you want to give Joomla a try, take a look at these three resources to help you get started the right way:
3. Tutorials Link
If you’re looking to learn more about working with Joomla-powered websites, developing your own templates, working with plug-ins and more, here is a collection of categorized tutorials:
3.1 Working with Templates Link
Joomla Template Tutorial
Learn how to create a Joomla template in the developer network.
How to Determine Which Page You Are on from within a Joomla 1.5 Template19
When developing templates, you may want to style pages differently. This tutorial will help.
Understanding Output Overrides in Joomla 1.5
An explanation for designers and developers about the output generated by Joomla.
Page Titles in Joomla 1.5
A look at working with page titles and modifying them to suit your needs.
Custom 404 Error Pages
How to set up your own custom 404 error page on Joomla.
3.2 Working with Databases: Link
Export Joomla Database
The basic steps for exporting your database with phpMyAdmin.
Joomla Coding Practices: Tables and Primary Keys
Some helpful information about naming tables.
3.3 Website Administration Link
How to Change the Administrator Template in Joomla 1.525
Learn how you can make changes to your admin interface to suit your needs.
How to Change Your Default Images Directory in Joomla 1.527
It’s possible to change your image directory in a Joomla website, and this article shows you how.
Keeping Your Joomla Installation Safe Against Hacks and Exploits
Some quick advice for securing your website.
Securing Your Administrator Directory Using .htaccess Files
A quick tutorial on securing your Joomla website against hackers using .htaccess.
3.4 Working with Feeds Link
Leveraging Feeds in Joomla 1.5
A helpful guide to working with feeds in Joomla.
How to Have RSS on Any Page of Joomla 1.5
A very quick tip for getting an RSS feed from any page.
3.5 Working with Modules, Plug-Ins and Components Link
How to Create a Joomla Plug-In
Are you looking to enhance the core functionality of Joomla for yourself or others? Here is a look at the basics.
3.6 Other Tutorials Link
The Super Secret Site Map Trick
Get a site map without installing any extensions.
How to Embed a YouTube Video in an Article in Joomla 1.537
This article shows you how to use a simple plug-in to insert YouTube videos easily.
4. Joomla Templates Link
The Joomla community has already created thousands of templates. There are several different websites that offer premium theme membership clubs, and there are also plenty of free templates available. Here we’ll look at some of the best places to get free and premium templates.
JoomlaJunkie offers club memberships that give users, designers and developers access to premium templates, and it also offers several free templates.
Design for Joomla
A large collection of free templates for downloading.
Offers a number of free templates for downloading.
IbolDesign offers some free templates for downloading.
A marketplace for free and premium templates.
A premium theme marketplace that offers three different levels of membership.
A home for free and premium templates for Joomla, WordPress and Drupal.
5. Extensions, Plug-Ins, Add-Ons Link
Like any other open-source CMS, Joomla comes with certain features and functionality out of the box, but additional features are available through extensions, plug-ins and add-ons. Like the templates, some are free and some are premium. In this section, we’ll include links to the best places to find the right extensions for your projects.
A collection of Joomla add-ons, some free and some premium.
A blog that includes a number of free extensions.
6. Inspiration Link
If you would like to see what other designers and developers have been able to accomplish with Joomla, you’re in luck. There are several websites dedicated to Joomla inspiration, and a few others that include Joomla along with inspiration from other CMS’.
A Web design gallery specifically for Joomla-powered websites.
There are currently almost 40 Joomla-powered websites featured on CMS Showcase.
Joomla Zone includes a Joomla Powered section, where website owners and designers can submit their Joomla-powered websites to be displayed
7. Compared to Other CMS’ Link
If you haven’t used Joomla before, you’re probably wondering how it stacks up against other CMS options. The following resources, featuring the opinions of others on Joomla and other open-source CMS’, should help. Keep in mind that each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and no CMS is right for every project.
Joomla and Drupal – Which One Is Right for You?
This article is about two years old, but it may still be helpful if you’re trying to compare.
8. Developer Resources Link
These resources don’t fit very well in the other categories in this post, but they’re all worth pointing out, and they all focus on meeting various needs of Joomla developers.
Joomla Developer Resources
A resource for developers who are developing, or want to develop, custom components and add-ons for Joomla.
- 1 http://www.mamboserver.com/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/15/wordpress-developers-toolbox/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/24/drupal-developers-toolbox/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/10/29/expressionengine-developers-toolbox/
- 5 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/06/textpattern-developers-toolbox/
- 6 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/12/08/movable-type-developers-toolbox/
- 7 http://www.joomla.org/
- 8 http://www.joomla.org/
- 9 http://docs.joomla.org/
- 10 http://docs.joomla.org/
- 11 http://community.joomla.org/magazine.html
- 12 http://forum.joomla.org/
- 13 http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/getting-started.html
- 14 http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/getting-started.html
- 15 http://help.joomla.org/content/category/48/268/302/
- 16 http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners
- 17 http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla_tutorials/joomla_1.5_tutorials/administration/edit_template/details.html
- 18 http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla_tutorials/joomla_1.5_tutorials/administration/edit_template/details.html
- 19 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/85/2/
- 20 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/85/2/
- 21 http://www.joomlatutorials.com/walkthrough/visual_tutorials.html
- 22 http://www.joomlatutorials.com/walkthrough/visual_tutorials.html
- 23 http://www.joomla-developer-resources.com/database/paging-in-joomla-2.html
- 24 http://www.joomla-developer-resources.com/template/styling-frontpage-in-different-way.html
- 25 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/94/2/
- 26 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/94/2/
- 27 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/92/2/
- 28 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/92/2/
- 29 http://www.joomlaspots.com/Tutorials/Smart-and-Fast/how-to-import-wordpress-to-joomla.html
- 30 http://www.joomlaspots.com/Tutorials/Smart-and-Fast/how-to-import-wordpress-to-joomla.html
- 31 http://www.joomlaspots.com/Tutorials/Smart-and-Fast/Joomla-Tutorial.html
- 32 http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla_tutorials/joomla_1.5_tutorials/administration/module_manager/details.html
- 33 http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla_tutorials/joomla_1.5_tutorials/administration/module_manager/details.html
- 34 http://www.joomlaspan.com/general/include-any-module-within-content-in-joomla-15.php
- 35 http://www.joomla-developer-resources.com/components/introduction-to-joomla-component-develo.html
- 36 http://www.joomlahacks.com/content/view/503/64/
- 37 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/90/2/
- 38 http://www.joomreem.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=30
- 39 http://www.bestofjoomla.com/
- 40 http://www.bestofjoomla.com/
- 41 http://www.joomla24.com/
- 42 http://www.joomla24.com/
- 43 http://www.rockettheme.com/joomla-downloads/folder/113-free
- 44 http://www.rockettheme.com/joomla-downloads/folder/113-free
- 45 http://www.joomlart.com/
- 46 http://www.joomlart.com/
- 47 http://www.howtojoomla.net/content/view/84/2/
- 48 http://djoomla.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,2/func,select/id,2/
- 49 http://www.siteground.com/joomla-hosting/joomla-templates.htm
- 50 http://extensions.joomla.org/
- 51 http://extensions.joomla.org/
- 52 http://www.joomla-addons.org/
- 53 http://www.joomla-addons.org/
- 54 http://www.joomlaworks.gr/
- 55 http://www.joomlaworks.gr/
- 56 http://www.joomlabamboo.com/free-joomla-addons/
- 57 http://www.joomlabamboo.com/free-joomla-addons/
- 58 http://virtuemart.net/
- 59 http://virtuemart.net/
- 60 http://djoomla.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,2/func,select/id,6/
- 61 http://extensions.ijoomla.com/
- 62 http://www.joomlabased.com/
- 63 http://www.joomlabased.com/
- 64 http://www.bestofjoomla.com/component/option,com_bestofsites/Itemid,78/
- 65 http://www.bestofjoomla.com/component/option,com_bestofsites/Itemid,78/
- 66 http://www.joomlacase.com/
- 67 http://www.joomlacase.com/
- 68 http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=514
- 69 http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530161
- 70 http://marketingblog.net/2008/12/08/ultra-light-startups-drupal-joomla-wordpress/
- 71 http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/wordpress-vs-joomla-a-handy-guide
- 72 http://www.communicopia.net/blog/joomla-versus-drupal
- 73 http://joomlacode.org/
- 74 http://joomlacode.org/
- 75 http://www.joomlancers.com/
- 76 http://www.joomlancers.com/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.