By Glen Stansberry and Smashing Magazine Editorial Team
Google AdSense1 is a simple and low-risk way for publishers to quickly monetize their content. The pay-per-click ad system has created an opportunity for anyone to instantly have advertising on their website, without the hassle of having to actively sell ad space. AdSense makes up a good portion of the advertising revenue for many websites, and other websites may use AdSense to earn the bulk of their revenues. Either way, AdSense is an excellent system for monetizing your content.
In this post we present an ultimate collection of resources, tools and tips to help you make the most out of Google AdSense. Among other things, this post covers various Google AdSense tools, Firefox-extensions, WordPress-plugins and related resources.
1. Google AdSense Tools Link
iPhone AdSense Statistics Application
SenseApp is a program that lets you track your Google Adsense earnings on your Apple iPhone.
AdSense Earnings Tool
Free and fast tool to monitor adsense earnings in realtime. This tool posts all the correct post fields to Googles universal Account Services login and collects information about your earnings. You’ll able to see today, yesterday, this month and since last payment earnings. You don’t need to log in to Google anymore.
Google AdSense Toolbox3
Type any web page URL (e.g. cnn.com) or keywords (e.g. web development), select a country (optional) and hit Enter to see the latest Google Ads that are contextual and geo-targeted.
Google AdSense Preview Tool4
an addition to the right-click menu for Windows Internet Explorer 6.x, allowing you to preview the ads that may show on any webpage. With just a few clicks, you can see what ads may appear on your new webpages, or make an educated decision on whether to add AdSense to your existing site pages.
SpyFu allows you to look up any website and see how much it is spending on AdSense, how it ranks for each keyword, and which keywords it buys. The tool is quite useful for researching competitors.
2. Google AdSense Online Tools Link
Contextual Ads Preview/Comparison Tool11
This comparison tools comes in handy when you compare AdSense ads to those of other advertisement services (Chitika, Yahoo). You also have the ability to customize the colors and view what ads a certain URL would be likely to display.
Google AdSense Calculator
This AdSense Calculator is designed to help you to predict changes in your earnings depending on improvement (or deterioration) of Page Impressions, Click Through Rate and Cost Per Click. You can download further calculators here13.
During the search, people use different keywords. Using this tool, you can find the most effective words before deciding what content to include on your page. Not free, but the free trial is available.
Traffic Estimator Sandbox15
To use this tool, you need an AdWords account. This traffic estimator helps you to figure out what keywords result in the highest paying AdSense ads (more details on uphook16).
While Pubmatic isn’t strictly an AdSense tool, it will definitely help you earn more money from your website by optimizing your ads. With each page view, Pubmatic determines whether showing an AdSense ad or an ad from a different network would be best, based on the CPM.
Instead of earning nothing from the PSA ads that Google fills the page with when it has no ads to show, earn a set fee by giving AlterNut Ad your unused PSA ads.
3. Google AdSense Firefox Extensions Link
Money Quake allows you to see your real-time earnings for many popular advertising programs, including AdSense.
GraphSense gives you a visual look at your AdSense reports by adding graphs to the interface. As of this post, the extension is still classified as “experimental,” so you’ll have to log in to Mozilla to install it.
4. Official AdSense Resources Link
Google has provided some official tools and resources to help publishers get started with AdSense.
Interest-based advertising with Google AdSense29
Just recently Google announced the launch of interest-based advertising30. This help section addresses the new mechanism and explains how you can benefit from it.
5. Getting Started with AdSense Link
Because of the popularity of AdSense, many so-called “experts” out there try to give “inside information” or sell their secrets in the form of ebooks. If you’re truly a beginner to AdSense, use the official AdSense help database31 that Google provides.
Here are some “getting started” articles by a few trusted authors.
The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Effective AdSense Link Units Optimization
A great rundown of the different types of link units and how they’re best used in a website layout.
6. Optimization Tips Link
Like any ad system, AdSense can be optimized to generate more clicks and revenue. Here are some tips to help boost AdSense performance.
My top 5 tips for increasing adsense earnings (without increasing traffic)38
Experiment with color and position, use different adverts for different dates, use content targeting, referrals and take care of the SEO.
Adsense Tips, Layout Optimization Tricks for Higher CTR42
A collection of excellent do’s and don’ts for new publishers, as well as advice for more advanced AdSense users.
Rotate Google AdSense Ad Colors : Reduce Ad Blindness43
One of the many enemies of publishers who rely on ads is banner blindness44. Rotating ad colors is a good way to combat banner blindness, resulting in more clicks on ads.
How to Display Ads Only to Search Visitors47
Click-through ratios are much higher if you show your AdSense units only to visitors who were referred by search engines. Here’s an article on how to implement that functionality on your website.
Using the Competitive Ad Filter to Increase AdSense Earnings48
Learn how to block made-for-AdSense websites as competitors, allowing only the best and most relevant ads to show on your units.
100 Google AdSense Tips
While this article is a few years old, it still has some very valuable tips on how to optimize Google AdSense. Perfect for the beginner.
20+ Practical and Ethical Tips to Earn More Revenue from Google AdSense49
eTechBuzz shows us some useful and ethical AdSense tips.
Little Known ‘Boring’ Websites that Make Incredible Money with AdSense52
An article highlighting that nearly anyone with a niche website can make money from AdSense.
7. AdSense WordPress Themes Link
WordPress is the most popular blogging platform, so it’s no surprise that a few themes come AdSense-ready, with ad placements already determined.
8. AdSense WordPress Plug-Ins Link
If you want to integrate AdSense in your existing website, here are some plug-ins to help display your ads.
The AdSense Manager widget allows for the automatic creation of AdSense ad zones on your WordPress blog. The plug-in also supports other ad networks, such as YPN57, AdBrite58 and Commission Junction59.
Easy AdSenser is a feature-filled plug-in that allows you to easily insert AdSense into your posts and layout. It has an extremely user-friendly interface, with lots of features that make adding AdSense much easier than it is with other plug-ins.
All in One AdSense and YPN
Use the All in One AdSense and YPN plug-in to automatically insert YPN and AdSense ads into your existing blog posts.
AdSense Deluxe 2
Another plug-in to automatically insert AdSense ad units into blog posts.
9. AdSense Books Link
If you’re looking for an entire collection of tips and advice on making the most out of AdSense, you might want to try a print book instead. Plenty of excellent AdSense articles are available online, but on the whole, it is easier to find more accurate information in print media. Here are some of the most popular books on AdSense.
Google AdSense Secrets
10. AdSense Forums and Communities Link
Webmaster World AdSense Forum72
The WMW forum is by far the best forum for getting expert advice on AdSense. A member of the Google AdSense team actually reviews all the threads and answers questions, so the information is legitimate.
11. Those Against AdSense Link
It’s always a good practice to hear the other side of the story when rounding up resources on a topic, especially one as controversial as AdSense. Many experts argue that AdSense isn’t the best choice for publishers to monetize their content. Here are a few articles that criticize AdSense.
Have You Weaned Your Blog from AdSense Yet?
A convincing argument for moving from AdSense’s cost-per-click structure to CPM ads and other affiliate programs.
10 Reasons Why People Hate Google AdSense
A round-up of thought-provoking reasons as to why Google ads repel publishers. Some of the reasons include: the ads are ugly, Adsense is everywhere, poor email support with the Google team and many others.
- 1 http://www.google.com/adsense
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/03/22/google-adsense-facts-faqs-and-tools/
- 3 http://www.labnol.org/google-adsense-sandbox/
- 4 https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/topic.py?topic=160
- 5 http://www.google.com/sktool/
- 6 http://www.google.com/sktool/
- 7 https://adwords.google.com/select/TrafficEstimatorSandbox
- 8 http://www.spyfu.com
- 9 http://www.spyfu.com
- 10 http://www.adsblacklist.com/
- 11 http://googleadspreview.blogspot.com/
- 12 http://googleadspreview.blogspot.com/
- 13 http://adsense-calculator.qarchive.org/
- 14 http://www.wordtracker.com/
- 15 https://adwords.google.com/select/TrafficEstimatorSandbox
- 16 http://uphook.blogspot.com/2006/04/getting-most-out-of-adsense-top-10.html
- 17 https://adwords.google.com/select/TrafficEstimatorSandbox
- 18 http://www.pubmatic.com
- 19 http://www.pubmatic.com
- 20 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/500
- 21 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2132
- 22 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2132
- 23 https://www.google.com/adsense/support/
- 24 https://www.google.com/adsense/support/
- 25 http://adsense.blogspot.com
- 26 http://groups.google.com/group/adsense-help
- 27 https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/static.py?page=tips.html
- 28 http://www.youtube.com/user/InsideAdSense
- 29 https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/topic.py?topic=20310
- 30 http://www.affilorama.com/blog/improved-adsense-earnings-interested
- 31 https://www.google.com/adsense/support/
- 32 http://www.problogger.net/archives/2004/09/23/adsense-tips-for-bloggers-1/
- 33 http://www.problogger.net/archives/2004/09/23/adsense-tips-for-bloggers-1/
- 34 https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=17954
- 35 https://www.google.com/adsense/static/en_US/Success.html
- 36 http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-01-02-n17.html
- 37 http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-01-02-n17.html
- 38 http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/2007/08/tips-increasing-adsense-earnings/
- 39 http://www.binarymoon.co.uk/2007/08/tips-increasing-adsense-earnings/
- 40 http://www.useit.com/eyetracking/
- 41 http://www.useit.com/eyetracking/
- 42 http://labnol.blogspot.com/2005/09/z-adsense-tips-for-increasing-revenue.html
- 43 http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2005/09/rotate-google-adsense-ads-colors-reduce-ad-blindness/
- 44 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banner_blindness
- 45 http://www.wolf-howl.com/22/google-adsense-tips-tricks-and-secrets/
- 46 http://www.wolf-howl.com/22/google-adsense-tips-tricks-and-secrets/
- 47 http://www.scratch99.com/2008/09/avoid-smart-pricing-show-adsense-only-to-search-engine-visitors/
- 48 http://www.johnchow.com/using-the-competitive-ad-filter-to-increase-adsense-earnings/
- 49 http://www.etechbuzz.com/tips-to-earn-more-revenue-from-adsense/
- 50 http://www.etechbuzz.com/tips-to-earn-more-revenue-from-adsense/
- 51 http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/01/blogtimize.html
- 52 http://nichegeek.com/little_known_boring_websites_that_make_incredible_money_with_adsense
- 53 http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/get-some
- 54 http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/techblue-adsense-ready-theme
- 55 http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/techblue-adsense-ready-theme
- 56 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-manager/
- 57 http://publisher.yahoo.com/
- 58 http://www.adbrite.com
- 59 http://www.cj.com
- 60 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-manager/
- 61 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-revenue-sharing/
- 62 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-revenue-sharing/
- 63 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-under-image/
- 64 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adsense-for-feeds/
- 65 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ozh-who-sees-ads/
- 66 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ozh-who-sees-ads/
- 67 http://www.amazon.com/Best-Damn-GOOGLE-ADSENSE-Book/dp/1440423903/
- 68 http://www.amazon.com/Best-Damn-GOOGLE-ADSENSE-Book/dp/1440423903/
- 69 http://www.amazon.com/Google-Advertising-Tools-Cashing-AdSense/dp/0596101082/
- 70 http://www.amazon.com/AdSense-Code-Google-Never-Making/dp/1933596708/
- 71 http://www.amazon.com/Google-Adsense-Millionaire-Advertising-Marketing/dp/1440498075/
- 72 http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum89/
- 73 http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum89/
- 74 http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27
- 75 http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27
- 76 http://www.adsensechat.com
- 77 http://www.adsensechat.com
- 78 http://forums.seochat.com/affiliate-marketing-58/
- 79 http://www.problogger.net/archives/2008/01/16/dear-adsense-you-broke-my-heart-my-open-letter-to-adsense/
- 80 http://adsense.blogspot.com/2008/01/upcoming-referrals-changes.html
- 81 http://www.problogger.net/archives/2008/01/16/dear-adsense-you-broke-my-heart-my-open-letter-to-adsense/
- 82 http://www.copyblogger.com/no-money-blogging/
- 83 http://www.copyblogger.com/no-money-blogging/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.