The most popular and best open source database is MySQL. Simple as that. It is consistently fast , reliabile and very, very easy to use. One of MySQLs main features is its cross-platform support, it will run on almost all operating systems, including Windows, OSX, Linux and many more. So, MySQL is the best database, and we all use it. The question now is which is the best MySQL Admin and Development Tool?
In the overview below we present some of the most useful and most popular MySQL Admin and Development Tools for Mac, Windows and Linux, for beginners and for professionals. Among other tools we feature phpMyAdmin, MySQL Workbench, HeidiSQL and SequelPro. Please let us know if some useful MySQL-tool is missing in the list by commenting upon this article.
You may be interested in the following related posts:
MySQL Workbench (Win, Linux, Mac) Link
This application is a fully featured visual database design package that includes database design, modeling, creation and maintenance bundled into a single environment for the MySQL database system. The free version is the Community Edition, which is loaded with features that will meet almost all your requirements. If you feel adventurous you could always go for the commercial version (Standard Edition).
HeidiSQL – MySQL made easy (Win, Linux) Link
Heidi SQL is lightweight and fast with a flexible interface, it allows you to browse and edit your databases databases, manage tables, view and edit records, manage user-privileges, import data from text files, run SQL queries, synchronize tables between two databases and export selected tables to other databases or SQL scripts, and all this from an intuitive Windows interface.
Aqua Data Studio (Win, Linux, OS X, Solaris) Link
Aqua Data Studio12
This complete IDE, has four major areas of functionality: Database query and administration tools; a suite of compare tools for databases, source control and file systems; integrated source control client for Subversion (SVN) and CVS; and a powerful database modeler. The Studio has a single consistent interface to all major relational databases, this allows the developer to simultaneously tackle several tasks from within a single application.
This very popular, feature rich and easy to use free tool, written in PHP (obviusly), has been built to handle the full administration of MySQL. It can create and drop databases, create/drop/alter tables, delete/edit/add fields, execute any SQL statement, manage users and permissions, and manage keys on fields. A nice feature from this legendary tool is that you can download and change the theme (not exactly a monumental feature, but a unique feature), download themes here: phpMyAdmin Themes17 (remember themes are version specific).
SQLyog MySQL GUI (Win) Link
SQLyog is another popular SQL management tool that has a couple of useful features such as visual schema designer, visual query builder, intelligent code completion and a data / structure synchronization. It support HTTP / HTTPs / SSH tunneling and SSL connections. You can also specify a job manager, define a scheduled database backup and use a notification service to be reminded when some jobs are finished. There is a free Community version and a commercial Enterprise edition. You may also use MONyog23, a MySQL Monitor and Advisor.
MySQL-Front (Win) Link
This graphical GUI for the MySQL database, is a “real” application, it can offer a more refined user-interface than is possible with systems built on PHP and HTML. Response is immediate, as there is no delay of reloading HTML-pages. If your provider allows it, MySQL-Front can make direct contact with the database. Otherwise, only one small script needs to be installed on the publishing website. Login information are stored on your hard disk, so you no longer have to log on to different web interfaces.
- Help and Support
MYSQL Front Forum
MYSQL Front Downloads Page
Sequel Pro (Mac OS X) Link
This MAC OSX database management app gives you direct access to your MySQL databases on local and remote servers with support for importing and exporting data from popular files including SQL, CSV and XML. Sequel Pro started as a fork of the open source CocoaMySQL project. It is the self proclaimed “Best Looking MySQL Database Management App for the Mac OS X“, going by the screenshot below they wouldn’t be wrong, it is sleek and cool.
SQL Buddy (Web-App) Link
This cool lightweight ajax powered database management tool is amazing. It is very, very easy to install, unzip the folder to your server and thats it. As for upgrading, delete the older version and replace with the new version, simple. Being powered by Ajax, it is browser friendly so you can use normal browsing actions like “bookmark”, “back” and “refresh”. There is also a useful range of keyboard shortcuts, which you can view here: SQL Buddy Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Help and Support
SQL Buddy Support
SQL Buddy Downloads Page
EMS SQL Manager (Win) Link
EMS SQL Manager36
EMS SQL Manager is a fairly high performance tool for database administration and development. Features include MySQL triggers, views, stored procedures and functions, InnoDB foreign keys, it allows you to create/edit all MySQL database objects, design databases visually, run SQL scripts, import and export database data, manage users and their privileges and has many other useful features. There is a commercial version, but download the free version, its fairly powerful and offers plenty of features.
Navicat Lite MySQL Admin Tool (Win, OS X, Linux) Link
Navicat Lite MySQL Admin Tool40
Navicat is a fast, reliable and popular (millions of downloads) Database Administration tool purpose-built for simplifying database management and reducing administrative costs. Designed to meet the needs of database administrators, developers, and small and medium businesses, Navicat is built with an intuitive GUI which lets you create, organize, access and share information in a secure and easy way. Navicat Lite is available as a free download only for non-commercial customers.
DreamCoder for MySQL (Win) Link
DreamCoder for MySQL
DreamCoder works with all MySQL versions from 3.23 to 6.0 and it supports all MySQL features including tables, views, procedures, functions, triggers, InnoDB Tables, foreign keys , UDFS, BLOB Types, etc. It also includes the most advanced options for data manipulation, build queries visually, execute queries, script execution, reports generation, database monitoring and export and import data to/from most popular file formats. DreamCoder for MySQL is easy to use for the novice MySQL user and is powerful enough for any expert user.
- Help and Support
DreamCoder Downloads Page
Toad MySQL (Win) Link
Toad for MySQL is a database development and administration tool that provides productivity features for rapidly creating and executing queries and managing complex database systems. It provides utilities to compare, extract and search for objects, manage projects, import/export data and administer the database. Changes to the interface recently has been the the introduction of the “Tabbed Document Interface”, this means you can view a fully maximized window without the need for you to constantly resize, arrange, or tile the windows.
- Help and Support
Toad MySQL Support
Toad MySQL Downloads Page
DB Tools Manager Professional (Win) Link
DB Tools Manager Professional44
DBManager is a fairly powerful application data management data management. With builtin support for MySQL, PostgreSQL, Interbase/Firebird, SQLite, DBF tables, MSAccess, MSSQL Server, Sybase, Oracle and ODBC database engines, making it one of the most advanced database application. The free edition (Standard Edition) has a minimun set of features that makes it ideal for new database users to perform basic database management, you can use this for non commercial use.
MyCon – MySQL GUI (Win) Link
MyCon – MySQL GUI48
MyCon is an extremely powerful windows based graphical user interface, MySQL GUI, for administering and working with MySQL server databases. This easy to use MySQL GUI front-end client includes all the functionality and tools you will need to be productive in MySQL as a DBA, developer, manager, report writer or a general end-user.
MyDB Studio (Win) Link
MyDB Studio is a complete collection of powerful tools for MySQL Server administration. MyDB Studio (freeware) is designed for MySQL developers and administrators to rapidly manage, create and execute queries and develop SQL and Php code more efficiently. Keep an eye out for the upcoming Adobe Air version of MyDB Studio, that will be cool.
MySQL Sidu (Win) Link
MySQL Sidu is a FREE MySQL client that works via your web browser, it is simple, intuitive and an easy database tool to use. Sidu is not as powerful as other similiar tools but packs enough punch to merit its place in this list, its features may be limited but it does do exactly what the name says (Sidu stands for Select Insert Delete Update).
You can also use a Firefox Extension in conjunction with Sidu that enables you to insert data from text fields & textareas in a webpage. View the details here: Firefox addon for MySQL Sidu.
- Help and Support
MySQL Sidu Support
MySQL Sidu Downloads Page
apache friends – xampp (Win, Mac, Linux, Solaris) Link
apache friends – xampp57
It’s not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. It is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start.
Further MySQL Links Link
Finally, here are some further general references to MySQL and MySQL-related resources.
- MySQL Homepage61
- MySQL Developer Zone62
- MySQL Downloads63
- MySQL Forums64
- MySQL on Wikipedia65
- MySQL Cheat Sheets66
What MySQL Admin and Development Tool Do You Use? Link
Related posts Link
You may be interested in the following related posts:
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/12/18/8-useful-wordpress-sql-hacks/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2006/10/30/cheat-sheet-round-up-ajax-css-latex-ruby/
- 3 http://dev.mysql.com/workbench/
- 4 http://dev.mysql.com/workbench/
- 5 http://dev.mysql.com/workbench/?page_id=10
- 6 http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/5.1.html
- 7 http://www.heidisql.com/?&
- 8 http://www.heidisql.com/?&
- 9 http://www.heidisql.com/support.php
- 10 http://www.heidisql.com/jheidi/
- 11 http://www.heidisql.com/jheidi/
- 12 http://www.aquafold.com/
- 13 http://www.aquafold.com/
- 14 http://www.aquafold.com/support.html
- 15 http://www.aquafold.com/downloads.html
- 16 http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php
- 17 http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/themes.php
- 18 http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php
- 19 http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/support.php
- 20 http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/docs.php
- 21 http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/downloads.php
- 22 http://www.webyog.com/en/index.php
- 23 http://www.webyog.com/en/screenshots_monyog.php
- 24 http://www.webyog.com/en/index.php
- 25 http://www.webyog.com/forums/
- 26 http://www.webyog.com/faq/
- 27 http://www.webyog.com/en/downloads.php#sqlyog
- 28 http://www.mysqlfront.de/
- 29 http://www.mysqlfront.de/
- 30 http://www.sequelpro.com/
- 31 http://www.sequelpro.com/
- 32 http://www.sequelpro.com/support.html
- 33 http://www.sequelpro.com/download.html
- 34 http://www.sqlbuddy.com/
- 35 http://www.sqlbuddy.com/
- 36 http://www.sqlmanager.net/en/products/mysql/manager
- 37 http://www.sqlmanager.net/en/products/mysql/manager
- 38 http://www.sqlmanager.net/products/mysql/manager/faq
- 39 http://www.sqlmanager.net/en/products/mysql/manager/download
- 40 http://mysql.navicat.com/
- 41 http://mysql.navicat.com/
- 42 http://support.navicat.com/
- 43 http://mysql.navicat.com/download.html
- 44 http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/dbmanagerpro/
- 45 http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/dbmanagerpro/
- 46 http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/forums
- 47 http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/downloads
- 48 http://www.scibit.com/products/mycon/
- 49 http://forum.scibit.com/
- 50 http://www.scibit.com/products/mycon/
- 51 http://www.mydb-studio.com/
- 52 http://www.mydb-studio.com/
- 53 http://www.mydb-studio.com/index.php?lang=en&p=4
- 54 http://www.mydb-studio.com/index.php?lang=en&p=3
- 55 http://sidu.sourceforge.net/mysql-sidu.php
- 56 http://sidu.sourceforge.net/mysql-sidu.php
- 57 http://sidu.sourceforge.net/mysql-sidu.php
- 58 http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
- 59 http://www.apachefriends.org/en/contact.html
- 60 http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
- 61 http://www.mysql.com/
- 62 http://dev.mysql.com/
- 63 http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
- 64 http://forums.mysql.com/
- 65 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysql
- 66 http://www.addedbytes.com/cheat-sheets/mysql-cheat-sheet/
- 67 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/12/18/8-useful-wordpress-sql-hacks/
- 68 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2006/10/30/cheat-sheet-round-up-ajax-css-latex-ruby/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.