From a web designer’s perspective, it can be very interesting to look at the top websites from a particular industry to see how they relate to their target audience, the different approaches that are used, and how they compare to websites in other industries. The fashion industry consists of companies that make their mark by designing beautiful and stylish items, and by setting trends for consumers, so one could expect to see some creativity and a focus on appearance in terms of their websites also.
In this article we’ll take a look at the websites of leading fashion companies, as well as some fashion news sites, and see when fashion, style and web design come together.
You may also be interested in the following related posts:
- Fashion Websites: Trends, Showcase, Interviews1
- 70 Beauty-Retouching Photoshop Tutorials2
- Finding Inspiration in Uncommon Sources: 12 Places to Look3
As you browse through the sites that are showcased below, you’ll see some variety, but you will also notice the presence of certain trends. Here is a brief look at a few of them.
Large Photos Link
Naturally, and industry that is very dependent on image will make heavy use of photos and models. Many of the sites use large background images, some will use a slideshow type of approach to feature multiple photos. Going a step further from photos, some of the sites use large video areas on the homepage.
Black and White Link
Black, white and gray color schemes are very popular among the sites showcased here. Simple color schemes are capable of creating an elegant look, plus with so many colorful photos it helps to keep focus on the products rather than on other design elements.
Minimal Content on Homepage Link
There are a few different types of sites showcased here. Most are sites that belong to a particular designer or fashion brand, while other are fashion news sites. Those that are news sites will obviously include a larger amount of content, which means a homepage that can be very involved. However, looking at the sites that represent a designer or a brand, you will see that the majority have very little content on the homepage. In some cases the homepage is nothing more than a large photo and a navigation menu.
Fashion Website Showcase: Link
Net-a-porter focuses on fashion-related photos, a magazine-style look and a simple navigation without unnecessary Flash-effects. The result is usable and still beautiful (submitted by Andrew E in comments).
The website of Pepe Jeans uses a white, black and gray color scheme. The homepage includes a large photo that the user can change.
Giorgio Armani’s website is very dark and contains a large video of runway models.
Issey Miyake Pleats Please30
Very simple, yet compelling design that strongly focuses users’ attention on the products. Flash-based. The Japanese version31 of the site tries to achieve the same aim with a more interactive approach (via @litherland32 on Twitter).
A very dynamic and interactive site that not only showcases available products, but also tries to entertain users. And it works! Flash-based, music-autoplay included.
Gucci’s website has a brown background. The homepage includes navigation and a large photo area.
Oilily’s homepage has a video area surrounded by purple covered with colorful floral decorations.
Dolce & Gabbana 59
The top of Dolce & Gabbana’s website uses three photos as part of the navigation. The lower section of the page includes navigation to specific collections and products with horizontal scrolling.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/09/fashion-websites-trends-interviews-showcase/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07/70-beauty-retouching-photoshop-tutorials/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/02/finding-inspiration-in-uncommon-sources-12-places-to-look/
- 4 http://www.net-a-porter.com/
- 5 http://www.net-a-porter.com/
- 6 http://www.prada.com/
- 7 http://www.prada.com/
- 8 http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/
- 9 http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/
- 10 http://www.aquascutum.com/
- 11 http://www.aquascutum.com/
- 12 http://www.freepeople.com/
- 13 http://www.freepeople.com/
- 14 http://www.thesak.com/
- 15 http://www.thesak.com/
- 16 http://www.ralphlauren.com/home/index.jsp?ab=fd_us_bottom
- 17 http://www.ralphlauren.com/home/index.jsp?ab=fd_us_bottom
- 18 http://www.rugby.com/
- 19 http://www.rugby.com/
- 20 http://www.armaniexchange.com/
- 21 http://www.armaniexchange.com/
- 22 http://www.asos.com/
- 23 http://www.asos.com/
- 24 http://www.lizclaiborne.com/
- 25 http://www.lizclaiborne.com/
- 26 http://www.mulberry.com/
- 27 http://www.mulberry.com/
- 28 http://www.hugoboss.com/
- 29 http://www.hugoboss.com/
- 30 https://pleatspleaseshop.com/
- 31 http://www.isseymiyake.co.jp/
- 32 http://www.twitter.com/litherland
- 33 https://pleatspleaseshop.com/
- 34 http://www.bcbg.com/home/index.jsp
- 35 http://www.bcbg.com/home/index.jsp
- 36 http://www.calvinklein.com/home/index.jsp
- 37 http://www.calvinklein.com/home/index.jsp
- 38 http://www.agnesb.fr/
- 39 http://www.agnesb.fr/
- 40 http://www.jcrew.com/index.jsp
- 41 http://www.seanjohn.com/
- 42 http://www.seanjohn.com/
- 43 http://usa.tommy.com/#/home_page
- 44 http://usa.tommy.com/#/home_page
- 45 http://www.louisvuitton.com/
- 46 http://www.louisvuitton.com/
- 47 http://www.luckybrand.com/
- 48 http://www.luckybrand.com/
- 49 http://www.benetton.com/portal/web/guest/home
- 50 http://www.benetton.com/portal/web/guest/home
- 51 http://www.apc.fr/
- 52 http://www.apc.fr/
- 53 http://www.net-a-porter.com/
- 54 http://www.net-a-porter.com/
- 55 http://www2.victoriassecret.com/index.html
- 56 http://www2.victoriassecret.com/index.html
- 57 http://www.dailycandy.com/everywhere/
- 58 http://www.dailycandy.com/everywhere/
- 59 http://www.dolcegabbana.com/
- 60 http://www.dolcegabbana.com/
- 61 http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/
- 62 http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/
- 63 http://www.style.com/
- 64 http://www.condenast.com/
- 65 http://www.style.com/vogue/
- 66 http://www.style.com/
- 67 http://www.kineda.com/
- 68 http://www.kineda.com/
- 69 http://www.elle.com/
- 70 http://www.elle.com/
- 71 http://www.wwd.com/
- 72 http://www.wwd.com/
- 73 http://www.harpersbazaar.com/
- 74 http://www.harpersbazaar.com/
- 75 http://www.glamour.com/
- 76 http://www.glamour.com/
- 77 http://www.fashionserved.com/
- 78 http://behance.net/
- 79 http://www.fashionserved.com/