Twitter appears on innumerable personal and professional websites nowadays, whether it is a simple “Follow me” badge in the header or a display of the author’s latest tweets in the sidebar. No longer a fad, Twitter is now a necessity for every website, not just for sharing your thoughts and keeping in touch with people, but also for marketing, advertising and even searching. But you may be wondering, How can I make Twitter work the way I want on my website?
Below, we present Twitter Web Designer and Developer Toolbox, API and Tutorials, a series of tutorials, links, references, libraries and plug-ins that will help you do everything you’ve always wanted to do with Twitter.
Twitter Development Links Link
Introduction to the Twitter API Link
Using the Twitter API7
This is an excellent introduction to using the Twitter API. The API offers many different ways to connect to your details including XML, JSON, Atom and RSS. This tutorial uses XML, PHP and cURL.
Get Started With the Twitter API
If you’re looking to try out an API for the first time, Twitter’s is a great one to start with. Its API is simple and easy to use. The only thing to keep in mind is that Twitter limits you to 70 requests per 60-minute intervals, so remember to cache or otherwise store your results.
Getting Started with the Twitter API8
Twitter’s API lets you read and write Twitter messages with minimal coding in nearly any programming language. In fact, you can use this API without doing any programming. A slightly more advanced tutorial than the previous three.
Building Your Website Around Twitter Link
How to Create an RSS-Enabled Micro-Blog with Twitter11
Have you ever wanted to create a simple multi-person blog but didn’t want to bother setting up an entire WordPress installation? If so, this tutorial is for you. By combining Twitter Search, Atom feeds, hash-tags and PHP, you can create an RSS-enabled, micro-blog using Twitter and be up and running in less than 10 minutes.
How to Make a Unique Website for Your Twitter Updates13
How to Build a Maintainable Website Using CushyCMS and Twitter15
In this tutorial, you build a simple one-page website and then, in less than 5 minutes, set it up with a Twitter feed for daily updates and with CushyCMS for general content.
This is a very simple tutorial (really just a few lines of codes!) that explains how to post a message using the Twitter API from a PHP page.
How to Run Multiple Twitter Feeds on the Same Page17
What if you want to display the Twitter feed of someone you admire or perhaps the feed of another author on your blog? This tutorial shows you how.
Scripting Twitter with cURL
cURL is a versatile command-line utility designed to script Web page interactions. As a little demo, this tutorial shows you how to use it to easily to overcome the shortcomings of Twitter’s API. You can also view the Perl + LWP version of this tutorial here: Scripting Twitter with Perl + LWP21
PHP + Twitter + Google Calendar + SMS22
This tutorial shows you how to add an event to Google Calendar by text message. It shows you how to hook up your Twitter account to Google Calendar using their APIs.
Twitter and AJAX Tutorials Link
Tweet! Unobtrusive jQuery Twitter Widget Tutorial
Tweet is an unobtrusive, fast-loading, feature-rich jQuery plug-in that lets you easily display your tweets on your website.
jQuery Plug-in for Twitter24
This is a simple, unobtrusive and customizable client-side method for easily embedding a Twitter feed on a Web page. From Coda, you know it’s going to be smooth. View demo here25.
PHP and Ajax with the Twitter API
This tutorial shows you how to use jQuery, PHP and a little AJAX to connect to the Twitter API and return results.
Authenticating Twitter API Calls with PHP and jQuery
In this tutorial, you are shown how to authenticate the API calls to your Twitter credentials (to be able to return your favorites).
Twitter Followers Counter Tutorial
Here, you are taught how to create your very own Twitter counter, showing how many followers you have. View demo here.
Juitter – jQuery Plug-In to Put Twitter Live on your Website
Juitter is a small and fast-loading plug-in. It not only shows tweets to or from a user, but can be filtered to show tweets containing a specific word or restrict searches by language. You can also show avatars, which makes this jQuery plug-in quite unique. View demo here.
Twitter Emulation, Using MooTools 1.2 and PHP27
Sidebar, Widgets and Badges Link
Create a Twitter Box in Your Sidebar
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to easily create a fancy box that displays your latest Twitter rants in your sidebar, without having to turn to clunky plug-ins that bog down your blog.
Display your latest tweet in a nice speech bubble. It can be a pain in the neck creating this with pure CSS and images, so this tutorial will help. A nice effect.
A Resizable CSS-Based Twitter Website Badge
If you find the official Twitter badges too big and clunky, then this tutorial is for you. Display your latest tweet in a neat CSS-designed widget that resizes depending on the size of your tweet.
Custom Twitter Badge Tutorial CSS33
If you’re struggling to get Twitter to suit your website, then this tutorial will show you how to customize the different elements and create your own Twitter badge. View demo here34.
Building My Own Twitter Badge with RSS
Official Twitter Badges
Display your latest updates with a customized widget (or “badge”) from Twitter itself.
Building a Twitter Application Link
How to Build Your First Flash Twitter Mash-Up in Four Lines of Code!37
Build a Twitter mash-up in four lines of code? That’s all you need, according to this tutorial, to get the latest public timeline updates from Twitter into Flash.
Building an Application with the Twitter API39
Twitter API libraries are available for most popular programming languages, and they’re opening up new possibilities for publishing information. In this tutorial, you will use a short Python script to create tweets when the Dow Jones Industrial Average (or any stock or index you like) makes a big jump.
How to Build a Twitter Agent
In this article, you will build a useful Twitter service to track the blogosphere.
Building Your Own Twitter Client with Fluid and jQuery40
Twitter Libraries of Note Link
This is an ActionScript 3.0 library for accessing Twitter’s APIs. This was originally code from Twitter, but it is being open sourced so that it can be maintained and kept current.
QTwitLib is currently in a functioning stage, which allows a user to make calls to the library, which in turn makes POST/GET requests to Twitter and returns a message and status code for the action request.
PHP Twitter (PHP)
PHP Twitter is a (wrapper) class for communicating with the Twitter API.
- 1 http://dev.twitter.com/
- 2 http://apiwiki.twitter.com/
- 3 http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-api-announce
- 4 http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk
- 5 http://twitter.com/twitterapi
- 6 http://twittut.netsensei.nl/
- 7 http://papermashup.com/using-the-twitter-api/
- 8 http://www.devx.com/webdev/Article/40359?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
- 9 http://css-tricks.com/build-your-own-social-home/
- 10 http://css-tricks.com/build-your-own-social-home/
- 11 http://thinkvitamin.com/features/how-to-create-an-rss-enabled-micro-blog-with-twitter/
- 12 http://thinkvitamin.com/features/how-to-create-an-rss-enabled-micro-blog-with-twitter/
- 13 http://tutorialblog.org/how-to-make-a-unique-website-for-your-twitter-updates/
- 14 http://tutorialblog.org/how-to-make-a-unique-website-for-your-twitter-updates/
- 15 http://nettuts.com/site-builds/how-to-build-a-maintainable-site-using-cushycms-and-twitter/
- 16 http://nettuts.com/site-builds/how-to-build-a-maintainable-site-using-cushycms-and-twitter/
- 17 http://forthelose.org/how-to-run-multiple-twitter-feeds-on-the-same-page
- 18 http://forthelose.org/how-to-run-multiple-twitter-feeds-on-the-same-page
- 19 http://remysharp.com/2007/05/18/add-twitter-to-your-blog-step-by-step/
- 20 http://remysharp.com/2007/05/18/add-twitter-to-your-blog-step-by-step/
- 21 http://www.sakana.fr/blog/2007/03/18/scripting-twitter-with-perl-lwp/
- 22 http://dotjay.co.uk/2008/feb/php-twitter-google-calendar-sms
- 23 http://crunchbang.org/archives/2008/02/20/twitterzoid-php-script/
- 24 http://coda.co.za/blog/2008/10/26/jquery-plugin-for-twitter
- 25 http://coda.co.za/content/projects/jquery.twitter/demo.html
- 26 http://coda.co.za/blog/2008/10/26/jquery-plugin-for-twitter
- 27 http://nettuts.com/tutorials/php/twitter-emulation-using-mootools-12-and-php/
- 28 http://nettuts.com/tutorials/php/twitter-emulation-using-mootools-12-and-php/
- 29 http://www.problogdesign.com/wordpress/how-to-create-your-own-twitter-widget/
- 30 http://www.problogdesign.com/wordpress/how-to-create-your-own-twitter-widget/
- 31 http://www.wait-till-i.com/2008/04/11/example-of-an-unobtrusive-lazy-loading-badge-using-the-twitter-api/
- 32 http://www.wait-till-i.com/2008/04/11/example-of-an-unobtrusive-lazy-loading-badge-using-the-twitter-api/
- 33 http://www.nouveller.com/css/get-yourself-a-great-looking-custom-twitter-badge/
- 34 http://www.nouveller.com/css/get-yourself-a-great-looking-custom-twitter-badge/
- 35 http://www.drweb.de/magazin/20-twitter-icons-websites/
- 36 http://www.drweb.de/magazin/20-twitter-icons-websites/
- 37 http://aralbalkan.com/999
- 38 http://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/11/21/twitter-client-for-android-how-to-make-xml-over-http-calls/
- 39 http://www.devx.com/webdev/Article/40511?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
- 40 http://www.peterkrantz.com/2008/twitter-client-with-fluid-and-jquery/
- 41 http://www.peterkrantz.com/2008/twitter-client-with-fluid-and-jquery/
- 42 http://code.google.com/p/twitterscript/
- 43 http://twitlib.googlecode.com/
- 44 http://code.google.com/p/java-twitter/
- 45 http://www.winterwell.com/software/jtwitter.php
- 46 http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/4075.html
- 47 http://github.com/jdp/twitterlibphp
- 48 http://code.google.com/p/php-twitter/
- 49 http://code.google.com/p/python-twitter/
- 50 http://github.com/dustin/twitty-twister/tree/master
- 51 http://rubyforge.org/projects/twittery
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.