Below, we present the Adobe AIR Developer’s Toolbox: Resources and Tutorials, a round-up of tutorials, links, references, cheat sheets and showcases that will help you create the next popular app.
What is AIR and How To Get Started? Link
First things first: Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) is a cross-platform runtime environment for building rich Internet applications using Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, HTML, or Ajax, that can be deployed as a desktop application. The runtime bridges the “classic” user experience within Web-applications and rich, highly sophisticated user experience in modern desktop-applications.
The only requirement is that the users of AIR-applications have the AIR runtime engine installed (very much like Adobe Flash users need to have the Flash-plugin installed on their system). In fact, Adobe AIR is becoming more and more popular with over 100 million installations of the engine across the globe and over 470 AIR-applications2 featured on Adobe AIR Market Place.
Adobe AIR SDK Link
To get you started, you will need the runtime environment for running AIR applications on your OS (download the latest version of Adobe AIR3 – you will be asked for the OS you are using). You will also need the Adobe AIR Software Development Kit (SDK) to develop, build and deploy Adobe AIR applications.
This development kit (will provide you with the framework for AIR APIs, a template for the Adobe AIR application install badge, the command-line Adobe AIR Debug Launcher and the command-line Adobe AIR Developer tool. The kits are available for Mac OS X (22.1 Mb), Windows (15.8 Mb) and Linux (18.5 Mb).
Official Adobe AIR Resources Link
For quick reference here is a brief overview of the essential official Adobe AIR resources that may come in handy for developers of AIR-applications.
- Adobe AIR Developer Center home4
- Developer Center for HTML and AJAX5
- Developer Center for Flash6
- Developer Center for Flex7
- AIR SDK home page8
Adobe AIR Help, Support and Forums Link
- Official Adobe AIR Cookbook Beta
- Official Adobe AIR Forums9
- Official Adobe AIR Support Center10
- Aptana Adobe AIR Forum
- Troubleshoot Adobe AIR installation issues (Windows, Mac OS)11
Adobe AIR Development Tools and References Link
- Developing Adobe AIR projects – Aptana Docs
- Developing Adobe AIR with Aptana Studio
Adobe Flex Builder 312
An Eclipse-based developer tool that allows for coding, interactive debugging and visual design of the user interface and behavior of Flex applications. Includes support for building desktop applications with Adobe AIR.
Adobe AIR Extensions for Dreamweaver15
The Adobe AIR extension for Dreamweaver allows you to package and preview AIR application files directly in Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 or CS4, so you can leverage your existing Web development skills to build rich Web-applications on the desktop.
ScaleNine provides inspiration and resources to designers and developers working with Adobe technologies. The site offers a variety of themes and skins to turn vanilla Flex and AIR applications into custom visual experiences.
Adobe AIR Cheat Sheets Link
Understanding the Potential of Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) (PDF)
Most of the information that’s been made available about Adobe AIR so far, has been written for the programmers that are building applications, not for the visionaries that are designing the client experiences. The objective of this paper is to provide executives, project managers, marketers and other visionaries with an introduction to Adobe AIR, and information about how Adobe AIR can be leveraged to create next generation web experiences.
Adobe AIR Free Samples Link
Download free sample applications that will help you get started using Adobe AIR.
Six must-see Adobe AIR sample applications
Applications available include Twitter Desktop, Kuler Desktop, Fresh, Finetune Desktop, DiggTop and SearchCoders.
A great collection of 75 Adobe Air samples from Kevin Hoyt.
Adobe AIR Beginner Tutorials Link
Introduction to Adobe Air27
“This tutorial introduces you to Adobe Air, a framework to build rich Internet applications.” The first introduction shows you how to create a simple application using HTML/JS technologies.
Build your first Adobe AIR App28
This walks you through all of the basic steps of setting up your development environment for the AIR SDK, with explanations of file dependencies and AIR’s Sandbox Security model. One of the coolest parts of the tutorial is learning how to store data via the AIR API.
To be launched in AIR, an HTML or SWF application requires an application XML file (a.k.a. an application descriptor file). You can almost consider this application XML file the actual AIR application file: it is initially opened and read by AIR, it specifies application properties such as application window name and size, and it identifies which file (HTML or SWF) is to be loaded into the AIR container.
AIR Beginner Tutorials: Publishing an Application
In this tut, you’ll learn how to publish your work and create an installer for it.
In this tutorial, you will be shown how to build a simple Web-based application for the desktop with Adobe AIR.
Adobe Air Tutorials Link
Build a Desktop Application within Aptana and AIR31
Introduction to SQLite in Adobe AIR33
A few tuts are on this page. You will learn about: SQLite in Adobe AIR, SQLite Contact Manager, SQLite wrapper classes, SQLite Editor and SQLite YouTube Database.
Using SQL with Adobe AIR
If you didn’t know already, AIR comes with a genuine lightweight database: an implementation of SQLite. You can create tables and views, insert and delete data and run queries. The API that does this is the flash.data package. If you are interested in using the SQL capabilities of AIR, then read on.
Flash Applications for Use in the Browser and AIR
This tutorial shows you how applications can be developed for both the Web and AIR runtime using a programming pattern known as the “factory pattern.”
Creating an Image Viewer in AIR With Drag and Drop
Here, you will see how an AIR application can be created to accept image files using drag-and-drop and then individually display those images within the application window.
Custom Move and Resize Window Controls in AIR
This tutorial covers how to use ActionScript to both move and resize an AIR application’s window using Flash controls.
Setting Up an AIR Application with File Associations
You can associate any file type with your AIR applications. This means associated files open in your AIR application. This greatly streamlines your ability to work with external files. This tutorial shows you how to do that.
Using AIR to Get and Set Clipboard Text
In addition to offering the advantages of running as a desktop application, AIR applications are also able to both get and set content from the operating system’s clipboard. This tutorial shows you how to do both with simple text data.
Building an Adobe Air application with Flex37
In this tutorial, you will learn how to build an Adobe Air application with Flex, an open-source set of technologies for the development of rich Internet applications.
Adobe AIR and Flex – Getting Started
This tut, a short one, helps you get your first AIR application going. The first thing you do is get everything in place to start running and building AIR applications. This tutorial requires a little knowledge of Flex.
Create a Data-Driven Application42
The SQLite database engine is fast, lightweight and well suited to client-side data management. In this tutorial, you will learn how to build data-driven Adobe AIR applications using the SQLite components.
WebSnapshot – a simple Adobe AIR application
25 Excellent And Useful Adobe AIR Tutorials and Resources43
An overview of useful tutorials for newbies and professional developers.
Adobe AIR Video Tutorials Link
Webcams, PNGs and AIR
Build an AIR application that takes webcam shots and saves them to the desktop.
Drag and Drop in AIR
Learn how to drag and drop files from the desktop to your AIR applications.
Developing AIR in Flash
This tutorial shows you how to develop AIR using Flash CS3 Professional.
Getting Started With AIR on Linux
In this tutorial, Mike Chambers explains the basics of getting set up with AIR on Linux.
Cool Adobe Air Applications Link
GMDesk lets you run Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs and Google Maps as a stand-alone application, letting you do all your mail handling, calendar planning, document reading and map browsing in one spot.
A useful app that lets you browse and preview your computer’s fonts.
Further resources Link
101 Adobe AIR Resources to Add to Your Toolbelt of Awesomeness
Adobe AIR application showcase and resources.
- 1 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/
- 2 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.categories&marketplaceId=1&categoryid=
- 3 http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
- 4 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/
- 5 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/ajax/
- 6 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/flash/
- 7 http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/flex/
- 8 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/sdk/
- 9 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/index.cfm?forumid=75
- 10 http://www.adobe.com/support/air/
- 11 http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403150
- 12 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=flex3email
- 13 http://www.monsterdebugger.com/
- 14 http://www.monsterdebugger.com/
- 15 http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/ajax/
- 16 http://www.scalenine.com/
- 17 http://www.scalenine.com/
- 18 http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/air/1/jslr/index.html
- 19 http://onair.adobe.com/files/AIRforJSDevPocketGuide.pdf?sdid=CEYFA
- 20 http://www.actionscriptcheatsheet.com/pdf/AIRcheatsheet.pdf
- 21 http://www.actionscriptcheatsheet.com/pdf/AIRcheatsheet.pdf
- 22 http://airexamples.com/
- 23 http://airexamples.com/
- 24 http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/samples/
- 25 http://code.google.com/p/jsairsamples/
- 26 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-and-tips/introduction-to-adobe-air/
- 27 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-and-tips/introduction-to-adobe-air/
- 28 http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajaxian-featured-tutorial-build-your-first-adobe-air-app
- 29 http://www.sitepoint.com/article/adobe-air-todo-list-5-minutes/
- 30 http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/introduction-air
- 31 http://extjs.com/blog/2007/06/29/building-a-desktop-application-with-ext-air-aptana-and-red-bull/
- 32 http://extjs.com/blog/2007/06/29/building-a-desktop-application-with-ext-air-aptana-and-red-bull/
- 33 http://www.peterelst.com/blog/2008/04/07/introduction-to-sqlite-in-adobe-air/
- 34 http://www.peterelst.com/blog/2008/04/07/introduction-to-sqlite-in-adobe-air/
- 35 http://jurnal.tripmedia.ro/phone-book-adobe-air/1536.html
- 36 http://jurnal.tripmedia.ro/phone-book-adobe-air/1536.html
- 37 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 38 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 39 http://www.sitepoint.com/article/learn-adobe-air-part-1/
- 40 http://www.sitepoint.com/article/learn-adobe-air-part-2/
- 41 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 42 http://learnola.com/2008/12/03/adobe-air-tutorial-create-a-application/
- 43 http://www.smashingapps.com/2009/03/06/25-excellent-and-useful-adobe-air-tutorials-resources.html
- 44 http://www.thetechlabs.com/
- 45 http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/building-an-adobe-air-application-with-flex/
- 46 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hsDh1Qq5Zw
- 47 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3Ib216HVU
- 48 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1f5WnMFnUM
- 49 http://snippage.gabocorp.com/
- 50 http://snippage.gabocorp.com/
- 51 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?marketplaceid=1&event=marketplace.offering&categoryid=6&offeringid=10118
- 52 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?marketplaceid=1&event=marketplace.offering&categoryid=6&offeringid=10118
- 53 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.offering&marketplaceid=1&categoryid=6&offeringid=10162
- 54 http://kuler.adobe.com
- 55 http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.offering&marketplaceid=1&categoryid=6&offeringid=10162
- 56 http://funkatron.com/spaz
- 57 http://funkatron.com/spaz
- 58 http://code.google.com/p/readair/
- 59 http://code.google.com/p/readair/
- 60 http://www.twhirl.org/
- 61 http://www.twhirl.org/
- 62 http://www.xeroproject.com/diggReader/
- 63 http://www.robertnyman.com/gmdesk/
- 64 http://snook.ca/snoto/
- 65 http://www.danieldura.com/code/moderator
- 66 http://refreshingapps.com/
- 67 http://refreshingapps.com/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.