The characteristics of Lomo photographs are oversaturated colors, extreme optical distortions, rainbow-colored subjects, off-kilter exposure, blurring and alternative film processing, all things usually considered bad in photography. In short, Lomography is the act of taking photographs without thinking, and ignoring the established rules of “good” photography.
Just take your camera along with you anywhere and everywhere, and start taking photographs. Sometimes it will yield amazing and creative results. Because it often does, we have collected over 35 Beautiful Oversaturated Pictures (among other things Lomography, but also other techniques), from many amateur photographers.
Further Reading on SmashingMag:
- Uncovering Toy Cameras and Polaroid Vintage Effects
- 50 Beautiful Examples Of Tilt-Shift Photography
- Weird, Confusing and Irritating Photography
- 10 Easy Steps To Advanced Photography Skills
The names and images below are all linked to their sources, so please feel free to check out some of the other works of these very talented photographers.
The Art Of Lomography
Lomographer - Photoshop Action
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to make digital photographs look like Lomo photos.
Further articles and related resources.
- Flickr Pool: e-Lomography
- Flickr Pool: Digital Lomography
- Flickr Pool: Dumpr Lomography
- Flickr Pool: iPhone lomography
- SUPER Saturated
- Lomographic Society International