Every now and again we take a look around, select “fresh” high-quality free fonts and present them to you in a brief overview. The choice is enormous, so the time you need to find them is usually the time you should be investing in your current projects. We search for them and we find them, so you don’t have to.
In this selection we’re glad to present you Junction, Nadia Serif, Nilland, CartoGothic Std, Bergamo Std, Comic Serif, Birra Stout, Vegur and a couple of other high-quality free fonts. Please read the license agreements carefully before using the fonts — the license can change from time to time.
- Fight The System: Battling Bureaucracy1
- The Path To Advertising Nirvana2
- What Every Designer Should Do Right Now3
- What I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Freelancing4
15 Fresh High-Quality Free Fonts Link
Junction5 [ Download the .zip-package6 ]
Designed by Caroline Hadilaksono, Junction is a humanist sans-serif typeface. It has elegant, clearn and very sharp glyphs, but contains only 100 most common symbols. Like Gentium7 it perfectly fits to body copy, but can also show its strengths, balance and beauty in headlines. Here are some insights from the designer:
“Inspired by my favorite humanist sans serif typefaces, such as Meta, Myriad, and Scala, Junction is where the best qualities of serif and sans serif typefaces come together. It has the hand drawn and human qualities of a serif, and still retains the clarity and efficiencies of a sans serif typeface. It combines the best of both worlds.” Available as OpenType. Released by The League of Moveable Type338, an open-source type movement.
Nadia Serif [ Download Mac (Postscript) | Download PC (TrueType) ]
This serif typeface is available for free download; the only requirement for using it is to send a PDF or any other copy of the work using this typefaces to its designers.
A beautiful slab-serif typeface, designed by Manfred Klein. The family consists of 6 weights, regular, bold, extra bold, black, small caps and small caps bold (link and images via DerSven.de12).
A legible sans-serif typeface, in the opentype format; 4 weights are available: book, italic, bold and bold italic. License agreement. Win and Mac.
A free serif typeface, in the opentype format; 4 weights are available: regular, italic, bold and bold italic. License agreement.
HVD Comic Serif14 [ specimen15 ]
So many designers hate Comic Sans. They think people who don’t know design are overusing this funny little friendly font, which is nearly every time out of place. Some years ago, type designer Hannes von Döhren created a free alternative to Comic Sans. The difference: It has serifs and a much cooler look. OpenType Pro, designed by Hannes von Döhren.
Whiteboard Modern21 [ currently offline, the link was removed ]
An original hand-drawn typeface, designed by Jay Hilgert. The typeface is currently being designed, so currently only the demo-version is available.
Neighbourhood Type [ Download the .zip-package ]
“I took Neighbourhood as a challenge to create something that had the graphic expression of a display face while still maintaining some of the functionality of a text face. In the end I created something that I feel has the best of both worlds; an ultra simple sans serif text face with a large set of alternates which when combined with the regular characters create a new graphic display look”. Designed by Andy Chung.
Resonance Bold23 (Registration is required)
This type family consists of smooth curves and fine lines, and evokes the spirit of the 1970s. Resonance is a great typeface family for use on retro and vintage posters, flyers and also headings.
Bonus: Eco Font and Flaminia Type System Link
Eco Font27 [ Download .ttf28 ]
A Dutch company SPRANQ from Utrecht has developed a new typeface that is supposed to cut ink usage by about 15% – the trick is that the “Ecofont” has little holes in the letters. There is also Ecofont Professional Edition29 available: every corporate typeface can be adjusted. (via Twenteinside)
Flaminia Type System31 [ Download the .zip-package32 ]
Flaminia is a typographical system that allows its users and its future designers to quickly morph (through the use of Multiple Master axes) different variants of the glyphs. By allowing minimal changes of only one variable in the letter shapes, Flaminia also provides a tool to study which are the most relevant factors in the process of reading signs, and can be used free of charge for further researches in this field. Created by Andrea Bergamini, released by The League of Moveable Type338, an open-source type movement.
More free fonts! Link
For more free fonts, please consider visitiong our previous posts:
- 15 Beautiful High-Quality Free Fonts36
- 40 Excellent Free Fonts For Professional Design37
- You can find over 80 more free fonts in our section Fonts38.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/09/fight-the-system-battling-bureaucracy/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/04/the-path-to-advertising-nirvana/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/03/designer-do-right-now/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/04/what-i-wish-someone-told-me-about-freelancing/
- 5 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/1-junction
- 6 http://s3.amazonaws.com/theleague/fonts/junction.zip?1234204632
- 7 http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium
- 8 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
- 9 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/1-junction
- 10 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/1-junction
- 11 http://www.dafont.com/nilland.font
- 12 http://blog.dersven.de/freefonts-sansation-und-nilland
- 13 http://www.dafont.com/nilland.font
- 14 http://www.hvdfonts.com/freefonts.php
- 15 http://www.hvdfonts.com/PDF/HVD_Comic_Serif_Pro.pdf
- 16 http://www.hvdfonts.com/freefonts.php
- 17 http://www.dardenstudio.com/typefaces/birra_stout
- 18 http://www.dardenstudio.com/typefaces/birra_stout
- 19 http://www.dotcolon.net/font/font.php?id=1
- 20 http://www.dotcolon.net/font/font.php?id=1
- 21 http://www.bittbox.com/fonts/bb-free-font-whiteboard-modern-demo/
- 22 http://www.bittbox.com/fonts/bb-free-font-whiteboard-modern-demo/
- 23 http://www.ascenderfonts.com/info/resonance-bold-free-font.aspx
- 24 http://www.ascenderfonts.com/info/resonance-bold-free-font.aspx
- 25 http://www.justmytype.org/
- 26 http://www.justmytype.org/
- 27 http://www.ecofont.eu/downloads_en.html
- 28 http://www.ecofont.eu/assets/files/spranq_eco_sans_regular.ttf
- 29 http://www.ecofont.eu/en_pro_ecofont_professional.html
- 30 http://www.bittbox.com/fonts/bb-free-font-whiteboard-modern-demo/
- 31 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/1-junction
- 32 http://s3.amazonaws.com/theleague/fonts/flaminia-type-system.zip?1239313368
- 33 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
- 34 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/3-flaminia-type-system
- 35 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/fonts/3-flaminia-type-system
- 36 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/40-excellent-freefonts-for-professional-design-2/
- 37 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/08/40-excellent-freefonts-for-professional-design/
- 38 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/category/fonts/