It may be the economical slowdown, the climate change, or even a random boost of creativity, but the competition between graphic studios is huge right now. Today, more than ever, you really need to show something special on your website to be noticed. So we made a selection of 30 portfolios that describe a studio or a freelancer with a unique personality. Please notice that you certainly need more than a nice “look” to make the design stand out; in particular, usability and accessibility are issues that need to be carefully considered when creating your next portfolio design.
Flash Based-Designs Link
Ola Interactive Agency3
A fun and straightforward website, with small videos running in the back to illustrate some of the company values, like creativity, speed and coolness! There’s a speaker on the left to kill the music.
A classic dark styled background with a thumbnail menu and awesome transition effects are all you need for a killer portfolio. Oh, and some pictures from one of the top 15 photographers in America.
Unique browsing system Link
Websites that let you scan the portfolio trough original and fresh techniques.
Design by Slint
This prolific studio from Singapore also has a grid-based fluid portfolio, where they show the works in a blog style way.
Any Which Way
Nothing fancy seems to be happening here at the first sight, but this website has a great navigation system: a mirror-like menu that stands as a fantastic alternative for the way over-used "carousel".
Special elements Link
Portfolios that use at least one remarkable element (widget, color scheme, game) to create an immersive adventure.
Crispin Porter + Boguski
Basically this website aggregates a YouTube video for a given campaign, the live news feed about it, Twitter bits, and blog pieces. It sure is the most social-ready portfolio of the selection.
Trust The KDU
The vintage design and the sepia tone of the photos work extremely well together and make a great portfolio.
Strong colors and striking, simple illustrations make from the new Carsonified website an instant classic.
Very clean and dynamic website with a powerful Twitter integration and a nice simple way to show the creative work.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/08/05/the-smashing-book-pre-order-now-and-save-20/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/08/05/the-smashing-book-pre-order-now-and-save-20/?utm_source=Smashing%2BMagazine&utm_medium=editorialbox&utm_content=editorialbox%2Btop&utm_campaign=Smashing%2BBook
- 3 http://www.olainteractiveagency.com/
- 4 http://www.olainteractiveagency.com/
- 5 http://www.your-majesty.com
- 6 http://www.your-majesty.com
- 7 http://enjoythis.co.uk
- 8 http://enjoythis.co.uk
- 9 http://valeriephillips.com/
- 10 http://valeriephillips.com/
- 11 http://www.ben-thomas.com
- 12 http://www.ben-thomas.com
- 13 http://www.studio-output.com
- 14 http://www.studio-output.com
- 15 http://lyndonwade.com
- 16 http://lyndonwade.com
- 17 http://www.cardondesign.com/
- 18 http://www.cardondesign.com/
- 19 http://www.kenjiroharigai.com
- 20 http://www.kenjiroharigai.com
- 21 http://ishothim.com/
- 22 http://ishothim.com/
- 23 http://www.orangelabel.com/
- 24 http://www.orangelabel.com/
- 25 http://counterfill.com
- 26 http://counterfill.com
- 27 http://www.x3studios.com/
- 28 http://www.x3studios.com/
- 29 http://www.lucashirata.com.br/
- 30 http://www.lucashirata.com.br/
- 31 http://www.workatplay.com
- 32 http://www.workatplay.com
- 33 http://www.zaum.co.uk/
- 34 http://www.zaum.co.uk/
- 35 http://cpeople.ru
- 36 http://cpeople.ru
- 37 http://www.davehillphoto.com/
- 38 http://www.davehillphoto.com/
- 39 http://www.greatworks.se/
- 40 http://www.greatworks.se/
- 41 http://www.homedecaramel.com
- 42 http://www.homedecaramel.com
- 43 http://www.bkwld.com/
- 44 http://www.bkwld.com/
- 45 http://elliotjaystocks.com/
- 46 http://elliotjaystocks.com/
- 47 http://www.mojaveinteractive.com/
- 48 http://www.mojaveinteractive.com/
- 49 http://www.worldofmerix.com/
- 50 http://www.worldofmerix.com/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.