Photography is a wonderful hobby enjoyed by lots of people all over the world. It’s a very enjoyable passtime, but also a very technical one. There’s a bewildering range of cameras, lenses and accessories, and photographers also have to get to grips with computers and image editing software packages. It can get very confusing, especially for newcomers to the hobby, and there always seems to be something to new to learn, even for experienced photographers.
With this in mind we’ve put together a list of over 50 free resources that will be useful to anyone involved in photography. We’ve compiled a list of the best and most comprehensive websites that will help you get the most out of your photography equipment. You’ll find a gold mine of articles on equipment and technique, plus advice from some of the most active and well-known professional photographers practising today.
We’ve divided these websites into categories for easy reference, but please bear in mind that many of these websites deal with more than topic. Many talk about both photography techniques and camera equipment, for example. We’ve categorised them according to how we think you will find them most useful. The resources section at the bottom of the article has links to more articles about photography websites, so check them out.
Editor’s note: Links checked January, 14th 2016.
Beginner’s Zone Link
These websites are an excellent place to start for beginners. They have content for more advanced users too.
The EOScars [Offline]
More and more digital SLRs are coming with a movie recording mode. The highest spec models rival the quality of high end movie recording equipment and have been used to shoot music videos and movie trailers. The EOScars compiles the best movies recorded with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II.
World Press Photo8
Anyone interested in photojournalism needs to check out this website. You can look at the winning images from the annual World Press Photo Contest and read interviews with professional photojournalists.
Technical Stuff Link
Depth of Field Master14
Depth of field is commonly misunderstood. This website explains depth of field very well. You can also print out depth of field tables for your lenses – a must for landscape and architecture photographers.
Photography Equipment Link
It’s stating the obvious but photography is impossible without the basic equipment of a camera or camera body and lens. There are hundreds of pieces of equipment and many brands to choose from. These websites will help you make sense of the choices.
Digital Photography Review24
Comprehensive reviews on just about every new piece of digital photography equipment released over the last few years. The first stop for anyone interested in purchasing new gear or understanding more about the features of what they already own.
Photography and Photoshop Technique Link
Photography Blogs Link
Discussion about the topics and techniques that matter most to contemporary photographers.
Toy Cameras Link
Toy cameras have become very popular over the last few years. Learn all about them at these websites:
Holga Blog [Offline]
All about holgas.
Square Frog [Offline]
Life through a plastic lens – techniques and tips.
Professional Photographers Link
One of the best ways to learn about photography is to study the work and ideas of professional photographers. Luckily, the trend for pros to blog about their work has created some priceless educational resources. Here are some of the best:
Humanitarian photography David duChemin discusses his career and work.
Interviews by Crash Taylor56
Social and wedding photographer Crash Taylor interviews some of the best known names in the business. Essential reading for anyone who wants to break into wedding or social photography.
Other Useful Resources Link
Pro-Imaging Photo Competitions [Not available anymore]
But make sure you read this before entering a photography competition. There are competitions that take away your copyright – this website lists the competitions that don’t.
In light reports of photographers being harassed by security guards and police, it’s a good idea to know your rights. These websites have the information that you need:
Last Click Link
- 87 Great Photography Blogs and Feeds72
- 29 Fresh Blogs and Photoblos to Add to Your RSS Readers73
- 85 Great Photography Blogs, Galleries and Sites You Can’t Afford to Miss74
- 40 Great Photography Websites, Portfolios and Resources [Offline]
- 90+ Online Photography Tools and Resources75
- Some Great Photography Techniques, Tips, Tutorials and Resources Part 176
- Some Great Photography Techniques, Tips, Tutorials and Resources Part 277
- 60 Photography Links You Can’t Live Without [Offline]
- 1 http://digital-photography-school.com/
- 2 http://digital-photography-school.com/
- 3 http://photodoto.com/
- 4 http://photodoto.com/
- 5 http://photography.about.com/
- 6 http://photography-now.net/
- 7 http://photography-now.net
- 8 http://www.worldpressphoto.org/
- 9 http://www.worldpressphoto.org/
- 10 http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography
- 11 http://exposurecompensation.com/
- 12 http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
- 13 http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
- 14 http://www.dofmaster.com/
- 15 http://www.dofmaster.com/
- 16 http://www.kenrockwell.com/
- 17 http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/index.do
- 18 http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/index.do
- 19 http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=HomePageAct
- 20 http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html
- 21 http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/
- 22 http://www.ephotozine.com/
- 23 http://photonotes.org/
- 24 http://www.dpreview.com/
- 25 http://www.radiantlite.com/
- 26 http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/
- 27 http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/
- 28 http://strobist.blogspot.com/
- 29 http://strobist.blogspot.com/
- 30 http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/
- 31 http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/
- 32 http://www.photoshopdaily.co.uk/
- 33 http://www.photoshopdaily.co.uk/
- 34 http://www.apogeephoto.com/
- 35 http://photojojo.com/content/
- 36 http://photojojo.com/content/
- 37 http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html
- 38 http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html
- 39 http://blog.epicedits.com/
- 40 http://blog.epicedits.com/
- 41 http://www.adidap.com/
- 42 http://www.lightleaks.org/
- 43 http://www.lightleaks.org/
- 44 http://www.fourcornersdark.com/
- 45 http://www.fourcornersdark.com/
- 46 http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/
- 47 http://www.thedigitaltrekker.com/blog/
- 48 http://www.thedigitaltrekker.com/blog/
- 49 http://pixsylated.com/
- 50 http://pixsylated.com/
- 51 http://www.photosmudger.com/
- 52 http://www.photosmudger.com/
- 53 http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/
- 54 http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/
- 55 http://www.photocrati.com/
- 56 http://www.interviewsbycrashtaylor.com/
- 57 http://www.interviewsbycrashtaylor.com/
- 58 http://www.photocompete.com/
- 59 http://www.photocompetitions.com/
- 60 http://blogs.photopreneur.com/
- 61 http://www.photonetcast.com/
- 62 http://www.photonetcast.com/
- 63 http://www.modelmayhem.com/
- 64 http://www.purestorm.com/
- 65 http://www.purestorm.com/
- 66 http://www.purestorm.com/
- 67 http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-and-the-law.html
- 68 http://www.krages.com/bpkphoto.htm
- 69 http://4020.net/words/photorights.php
- 70 http://www.jpgmag.com/
- 71 http://www.jpgmag.com/
- 72 http://blog.epicedits.com/2007/11/07/87-great-photography-blogs-and-feeds/
- 73 http://www.adidap.com/2009/07/17/29-fresh-blogs-and-photoblogs-to-add-to-your-rss-readers/
- 74 http://www.diyphotography.net/great-photography-blogs-galleries-and-photography-sites
- 75 http://mashable.com/2007/06/23/photography-toolbox/
- 76 http://www.wittysparks.com/2008/08/16/some-great-photography-techniques-tips-tutorials-and-resources-part-1/
- 77 http://www.wittysparks.com/2008/08/20/some-great-photography-techniques-tips-tutorials-and-resources-part-2/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.