Papervision3D1 (PV3D) is a popular open source 3D engine for Flash. It enables to create advanced three-dimensional objects displayed real time right in the web browser. With Papervision3D designers bring an impressive visual experience and user interaction to the web visitors. Interactive environment captivates and gives an opportunity to enjoy navigation and content exploring process. PV3D provides great solutions for product showcasing websites, advertising campaigns and portfolio designs.
Below you can find a collection of impressive Papervision3D websites and tutorials that hopefully will inspire you and give you an idea about how this technique can be used in your projects. It is important to remember that being based on Flash, Papervision3D often has similar issues in usability and is not recommended to be used in developing websites where simplicity and accessibility are essential.
Creative Papervision3D Websites Link
This website reminds of a little fairy-tale world floating in shining light space. Navigation is quite easy and enjoyable.
This digital styled website performs awesome transitions, typography visualization and sound effects.
Florian Bernard’s portfolio is done in a sleek cyber-punk style and offers a wonderful 3D performance. The thumbnail displaying mechanism implies the 360-degree rotation and can be transformed in several ways.
Nice and amusing website with a good use of space and easy navigation. You can find the information about Spanish web agency Dasai exploring a small green planet of the same name.
Barcinski&Jeanjean studio offers so much interaction in their portfolio. Website has a special option – wear 3D-glasses and enjoy all the fascination of three-dimensional environment. You can also play ping-pong while the site is loading. Excellent work!
Advertising & Social Campaigns Link
Air Jordan 2009
Clean and fresh design of this site is not less inspiring than personal stories of famous sportsmen collected in a 3D video gallery.
Coors Light Project Cold
3D beer can model creates a cool tactile effect. Cans seem to be good containers not only for beer but for content as well.
This promo website of the French bank Societe Generale shows how PV3D may come in handy to create social, communication-oriented mediums.
Panasonic: Everything matters
The statement “Everything matters” reflects the design guideline of this website ideally. Flash version of the site provides a creative and dynamic product presentation with cool transition effects and colorful animations. HTML version is also available for viewing.
Pepsi Music Challenge24
Fantastic Papervision3D website. Pepsi Music Challenge project delivers an exciting interaction experience by allowing visitors to play a funny music related game. GuitarHero fans will love it!
The Baileys Lounge
Another creative idea realized by means of Papervision3D – dive into the Baileys Lounge while turning over the pages of virtual folding book.
The Economist: Thinking Space26
The main purpose of The Economist’s research project “Thinking Space” is to learn where people get their ideas and inspiration. You can submit your own thinking space and get a section in the massive 3D construction on the main page.
It is a nice and clean website providing interesting visual effects and interaction. A good idea for an online hotel tour.
The Cigarette Is Dead28
Now comes a dark-styled website using PV3D for displaying timeline. The overall horror-movie style can probably leave a bad aftertaste, it is a powerful solution for anti-smoking campaign though.
This is the second PV3D-based website for Ultimate Fighting Championship official web presentations. (UFC8433 was the first one) Excellent usage of this technique can be observed in both cases.
FOXTEL: I’m Unique
IamuniQue project lets you build an interactive 3D portrait of yourself and share it with other users. New fun for social networking enthusiasts.
Papervision3D Flash Gallery
Three-dimensional image gallery is a good way to enrich your website with interactivity and visual attractiveness. This is a very detailed and informative tutorial on how to create a Papervision3D Flash gallery.
Introduction to Augmented Reality
Augmented reality is an ActionScript library used in combination with Papervision3D. With Lee Brimelow’s video tutorial you will learn the basics of how to get stated with this new trendy effect.
Papervision3D Collada Basics
This video guide describes how to create and import 3D textured models for use in PV3D.
Build A Wiimote Controlled Lightsaber Using WiiFlash and Papervision3D
Learn how to use a Wiimote within Flash and how to blend it with Papervision3D to get an interactive lightsaber.
Interactive 3D Cube
Another great tutorial from Lee Brimelow shows you how to use Papervision3D 2.0 to create an interactive cube navigator.
Geocoding in Papervision3D with Yahoo Maps53
This article shows how to use PV3D and Yahoo mapping API to display any location you enter on a 3D globe of the world. You can also watch a video presentation54 of the PV3D Geocoding application
- 1 http://blog.papervision3d.org/
- 2 http://www.x-prime.com/
- 3 http://www.x-prime.com/
- 4 http://www.hookusa.com/
- 5 http://www.hookusa.com/
- 6 http://www.lab9.fr/
- 7 http://www.lab9.fr/
- 8 http://www.zaramedia.com/
- 9 http://www.zaramedia.com/
- 10 http://www.ovaldesign.com.hk/
- 11 http://www.ovaldesign.com.hk/
- 12 http://13flo.com/
- 13 http://13flo.com/
- 14 http://www.tbc.us/
- 15 http://www.tbc.us/
- 16 http://www.scalena.com/
- 17 http://www.scalena.com/
- 18 http://www.barcinski-jeanjean.com/
- 19 http://www.barcinski-jeanjean.com/
- 20 http://www.freedomandpartners.com/
- 21 http://www.freedomandpartners.com/
- 22 http://www.whitevoid.com/portfolio.html
- 23 http://www.whitevoid.com/portfolio.html
- 24 http://www.pepsi.se/2009/
- 25 http://www.pepsi.se/2009/
- 26 http://thinkingspace.economist.com/
- 27 http://thinkingspace.economist.com/
- 28 http://www.thecigaretteisdeadtimeline.com/
- 29 http://www.thecigaretteisdeadtimeline.com/
- 30 http://www.bbc.co.uk/wrongdoor/
- 31 http://www.bbc.co.uk/wrongdoor/
- 32 http://100.ufc.com/
- 33 http://84.ufc.com/
- 34 http://100.ufc.com/
- 35 http://www.summerfestival.be/
- 36 http://www.summerfestival.be/
- 37 http://watchmenmotioncomic.com/
- 38 http://watchmenmotioncomic.com/
- 39 http://www.footlocker.eu/evolve/#/en/
- 40 http://www.footlocker.eu/evolve/#/en/
- 41 http://www.absolut.com/us
- 42 http://www.absolut.com/us
- 43 http://www.concavescream.com/main.html
- 44 http://www.concavescream.com/main.html
- 45 http://www.papervision3d.org/
- 46 http://www.papervision3d.org/
- 47 http://www.carlosulloa.com/
- 48 http://www.carlosulloa.com/
- 49 http://www.helloenjoy.com/
- 50 http://www.helloenjoy.com/
- 51 http://content.madvertices.com/articles/PV3DTraining/default.htm#
- 52 http://content.madvertices.com/articles/PV3DTraining/default.htm#
- 53 http://www.adobe.com/newsletters/edge/june2008/articles/article2/?trackingid=DEKYF
- 54 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-0ECqsfTU
- 55 http://www.adobe.com/newsletters/edge/june2008/articles/article2/?trackingid=DEKYF
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.