Some of the best festivals and conferences of the year are gone by now, but if we’d just want to judge them by their online presence we can do it from the comfort of our couch. There was some research involved in this article, you wouldn’t believe it how many of the biggest events in the world have so flat and unexciting websites. However, we’ve finally managed to find quite a few cool ones, so we wish you a pleasant and inspirational journey.
In this post we present some of the beautiful, original and inspirational web designs of festivals and conferences that took place or are going to take place this year. Please feel free to add links to further designs in the comments to this post!
Music Festivals Link
This one is kinda crowded but has some awesome visual effects that really bring the festival atmosphere to the web, displaying cool features, like a showcase with the best performances, recorded selection to watch online, and a radio station.
"A world of its own" seems to be not only the tagline of the festival but of the website too. Creative Flash use and a nifty 3D experience are the best features of this one.
Another innovative project, the Beachdown website has a horizontal style navigation system that scrolls the sticky notes with info, images and video.
One of the most appreciated rock music festivals in the world, V pumped some interactivity into its website: there’s a strong community component, a Twitter scanning system, and a poll where the fans could decide which onstage collaboration would they like to see.
Film & Art Festivals Link
Edinburgh International Festival25
Another color masterpiece, the Edinburgh International Festival is as reach in website features as in live events. Great usability and innovative multimedia gallery in the Try Before You Buy section.
The only minimalist entry in this roundup, the Colophon ’09 website has everything an event for magazine enthusiasts should have: a cool simple look, a huge searchable directory of indie magazines, tons of interviews, and an exclusive social network for mag lovers.
Amsterdam Film Experience
This Flash based website is a fully functional video jukebox with an innovative navigation system. Be sure to double click the flipping buttons.
A program focused website organized like a calendar is a great idea for a festival. Plus, there’s a nice community platform well integrated with the website.
The Media Festival
Another fresh design with irregular header, live news updater, popping colors, and lots of badges. Nuff said.
Web Conferences & Design Events Link
London Digital Week
Here it’s all about the blurry moving images in the header and the bright colors used for the categories. Awesome effect!
Future of Web Design
A light website with a clean blog approach and an excellent video gallery.
Very nice header with some motion involved, and a dynamic left aligned menu make it very clear and easy to use.
- 1 http://bumbershoot.org/
- 2 http://bumbershoot.org/
- 3 http://www.bonnaroo.com/
- 4 http://www.bonnaroo.com/
- 5 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/bigweekend/
- 6 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/bigweekend/
- 7 http://www.pukkelpop.be
- 8 http://www.pukkelpop.be
- 9 http://www.creamfields.com/
- 10 http://www.creamfields.com/
- 11 http://www.vfestival.com/
- 12 http://www.vfestival.com/
- 13 http://www.flowfestival.com/en/
- 14 http://www.flowfestival.com/en/
- 15 http://www.fremontoktoberfest.com/
- 16 http://www.fremontoktoberfest.com/
- 17 http://www.fremontoktoberfest.com/
- 18 http://www.orangecinemaseries.fr/evenement/tati/
- 19 http://www.pardo.ch/jahia/Jahia/home/lang/en
- 20 http://www.pardo.ch/jahia/Jahia/home/lang/en
- 21 http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en.html
- 22 http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en.html
- 23 http://www.animationshow.com/
- 24 http://www.animationshow.com/
- 25 http://www.eif.co.uk/
- 26 http://www.eif.co.uk/
- 27 http://www.colophon2009.com
- 28 http://www.colophon2009.com
- 29 http://www.aec.at/index_en.php
- 30 http://www.aec.at/index_en.php
- 31 http://www.artidea.org/
- 32 http://www.artidea.org/
- 33 http://www.aneventapart.com/
- 34 http://www.aneventapart.com/
- 35 http://azentrepreneurship.com/
- 36 http://azentrepreneurship.com/
- 37 http://sxsw.com/
- 38 http://sxsw.com/
- 39 http://the99percent.com/
- 40 http://the99percent.com/
- 41 http://www.freelancecamp.org/
- 42 http://www.freelancecamp.org/
- 43 http://techadventuredc.com/
- 44 http://techadventuredc.com/
- 45 http://www.electroluxdesignlab.com/
- 46 http://www.electroluxdesignlab.com/
- 47 http://www.canneslions.com/
- 48 http://www.canneslions.com/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.