Traditional drawing is certainly way harder than digital1 and it is true that people are able to progress much faster digitally, but one should learn the traditional type of drawing and painting before starting digital drawing, since it often lays out the foundation for screen design2.
This article contains a mixture of traditional drawing tutorials, drawing techniques and some methods for transforming and preparing your creations for screen design. Some are intermediate level and some are advanced tutorials that include general theory, useful tips, comic inspired art, sketch a pencil drawing, coloring processing, character sketching, shapes, proportional, perspective and much more. We hope that drawing tutorials and techniques in this post will be a great help to you.
Traditional Drawing Tutorials Link
Marilyn Portrait Tutorial3
A truly fantastic drawing tutorial to learn how to draw a portrait of Marilyn Monroe with pencil. Each step of the portrait is perfectly well explained and commented. This tutorial is very detailed, and requires a lot of patience.
This is a step by step tutorial on how to draw a realistic portrait. The artist assumes that you have a basic understanding of drawing and shading before attempting to draw a serious portrait. For this lesson he is drawing on 11″x14″ Fabriano Hotpressed Watercolor Paper. He is using Derwent Graphic Pencils ranging from 2H to 7B. For more information on any of the drawing tools that he mention in this tutorial, visit the drawing materials page.
How to Draw a Car9
For this tutorial the artist will show the different steps he takes in drawing a realistic looking car. He chose to draw an american classic, the Corvette. This tutorial will apply to any car though because for the most part, they are all the same. The key to drawing a car that will pop off the page is having a good balance of lights, midtones, and darks along with clean, sharp edges. He is using Derwent Graphic Pencils and Fabriano Artistico Bright White Watercolor Paper, he is also using mechanical pencils for small details.
How to Draw Optimus Prime From Transformers11
In this tutorial you will be learning how to draw one of the most popular of the Autobots, Optimus Prime. This drawing tutorial will show you in detail how to sketch, draw, and shade in this character that is popular around the world
Artist is going to show several step photos along the way on this one. Artist chose this photo because of it’s RICH content, and it’s HIGH amount of TONAL VALUES, CONTRAST as well as it being a high resolution file, Finding just the right photo is half the battle to a good drawing. NEVER EVER work with a low quality photo.
Hair drawing tutorial19
Drawing hair is definitely one of the trickiest part of almost every portrait. However, you will definitely like it if you acquire technique and skill in it. Therefore Artist introduce some easy and effective ways to draw wavy or straight hair or hair blowing in the wind. No matter how much chaotic the hair is, you’ll be able to draw it.
This tutorial explains two techniques of drawing hair on four portraits.
TRADITIONAL SKETCH RENDERING27
At most design schools they teach you how to use a single wooden pencil to create an entire rendering, sometimes referred to as a “Prisma-rendering” due to the type of pencil usually used (Prismacolor wood pencils). These are fast and very pretty looking techniques, and they are fairly easy to master. This will be more of a walkthrough then a tutorial in the sense that artist won’t describe every pen stroke, more the basic steps and thoughts behind. Ok, let’s go!
The Dragon Tutorial
In this great dragon inspired tutorial artist will teach you some techniques and useful tips, you can also use this techniques in you other fantasy realted drawings.
In this tutorial you can get ideas and techniques for drawing realistic wings stracture, Artist focuses at drawing wings.
Pencil Sketching by Max MaxBert Bertuzzi
very comprehensive theoritical tutorial, this article will increase knowledge and power of your drawing skill
Comic Story Step by Step49
If you are looking for a comic story guideline, here is a perfect step by step guide for you that will guide you starting with sketching and moving on through the inking and digital processes.
How to draw Marlon Brando step by step51
It is now time to show you “how to draw Marlon Brando step by step” All the steps and instructions are laid out in the simplest format possible to help make this tutorial a breeze.
Face drawing: the heroic male53
In this tutorial we’ll draw a character face of a hero-like character. In the process we’ll review an optimal placement of the facial features and the best ways to emphasize the features of the face that will make our character look manly and heroic.
Evil skull drawing55
Looking for a terrifying evil skull drawing tutorial? Just follow the steps and you should be able to walk away with a scary skull to use in your scary projects (whatever they might be).
Let’s start with the evil skull drawing tutorial!
Lone Wolf Pencil Drawing
Here is a new miniature speed pencil drawing. Artist wanted to make this one different from my other ones. He combined two drawings in one to make a single image. The sunset and the single wolf. It gives the final image a different look and feeling.
Traditional Drawing Tips & Techniques Link
How to Draw what you See: Techniques and Tips to Improve your Drawing Skills63
This article contains step-by-step images of the process Artist uses to create realistic looking drawings, as well as tips he have picked up over the years which anyone can use to improve their drawing skills.
Tips for drawing hands67
In this tutorial Artist will include many tips about drawing hands he has picked up which are useful for getting better at drawing hands, including foreshortening, nails, and finger shapes.
9 Steps to Creating Better Compositions73
Great compositions don’t just happen by accident. They take planning, patience, and a knowledge of all the visual elements at your disposal. The great thing is, no matter how much or how little talent you have, you’ll always be able to improve your art by sketching out a good composition before you begin.
Drawing clothes techniques75
A less general point that the portrait seems to pose few problems is the representation of clothing. In this tutorial, clothing can be summarized in two points: the folds and textures.
Editing Drawings 77
Editing Drawings by Cataclysm-X offers valuable tips for bringing out the best in your traditional drawings after they have lost their depth and luster due to scanning.I am sure this technique will help many traditional artists in the presentation of their work.
Proportions in any drawing assignment hold great value; therefore we have come up with these five most helpful techniques that will help you getting grips with proportions in your drawings.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/03/drawing-a-cartoon-in-illustrator/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/04/using-sketch-for-responsive-web-design-case-study/
- 3 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/marilyn-tutorial.php
- 4 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/marilyn-tutorial.php
- 5 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/portrait_tutorial.html
- 6 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/portrait_tutorial.html
- 7 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorials-How-to-draw-lips-103303840
- 8 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorials-How-to-draw-lips-103303840
- 9 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/how_to_draw_a_car.html
- 10 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/how_to_draw_a_car.html
- 11 http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/559/1/1/how-to-draw-optimus-prime-from-transformers.htm
- 12 http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/559/1/1/how-to-draw-optimus-prime-from-transformers.htm
- 13 http://fauna-art.net/Gallery/process.htm
- 14 http://fauna-art.net/Gallery/process.htm
- 15 http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/874/1/1/how-to-draw-a-ninja.htm
- 16 http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/874/1/1/how-to-draw-a-ninja.htm
- 17 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/drawing-tutorial.php
- 18 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/drawing-tutorial.php
- 19 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/hair-tutorial.php
- 20 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/hair-tutorial.php
- 21 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/drawing-eye-tutorial.php
- 22 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/drawing-eye-tutorial.php
- 23 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/eye_tutorial.html
- 24 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/eye_tutorial.html
- 25 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/mouth_drawing_tutorial.html
- 26 http://www.dueysdrawings.com/mouth_drawing_tutorial.html
- 27 http://www.designertechniques.com/tutorials/mikaellugnegardtraditionalrendering01-page1.htm
- 28 http://www.designertechniques.com/tutorials/mikaellugnegardtraditionalrendering01-page1.htm
- 29 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/hands-feet-tutorial.php
- 30 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/hands-feet-tutorial.php
- 31 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/rose-tutorial.php
- 32 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/rose-tutorial.php
- 33 http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/a-pseudo-sugar-skull-from-start-to-finish/
- 34 http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/a-pseudo-sugar-skull-from-start-to-finish/
- 35 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/dessin-cheveux-tutorial.php
- 36 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/dessin-cheveux-tutorial.php
- 37 http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/from-sketch-to-vector-illustration/
- 38 http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/from-sketch-to-vector-illustration/
- 39 http://enchantma.deviantart.com/art/Manga-Making-Tutorial-20758391
- 40 http://enchantma.deviantart.com/art/Manga-Making-Tutorial-20758391
- 41 http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-draw-a-fashion-figure-130763/
- 42 http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-draw-a-fashion-figure-130763/
- 43 http://www.elfwood.com/farp/theart/maeryhair/maeryhair.html
- 44 http://www.elfwood.com/farp/theart/maeryhair/maeryhair.html
- 45 http://zue.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Drawing-Hands-37882731
- 46 http://zue.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Drawing-Hands-37882731
- 47 http://sugarsugarhyperlolly.deviantart.com/art/Super-Sugar-Clothing-Tutorial-54742341
- 48 http://sugarsugarhyperlolly.deviantart.com/art/Super-Sugar-Clothing-Tutorial-54742341
- 49 http://www.boltcity.com/workshop/copper_tutorial/
- 50 http://www.boltcity.com/workshop/copper_tutorial/
- 51 http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/2076/1/1/how-to-draw-marlon-brando.htm
- 52 http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/2076/1/1/how-to-draw-marlon-brando.htm
- 53 http://www.drawing-factory.com/face-drawing-03.html
- 54 http://www.drawing-factory.com/face-drawing-03.html
- 55 http://www.drawing-factory.com/evil-skull-drawing.html
- 56 http://www.drawing-factory.com/evil-skull-drawing.html
- 57 http://pandabaka.deviantart.com/art/How-I-making-manga-part-2-133393223
- 58 http://pandabaka.deviantart.com/art/How-I-making-manga-part-2-133393223
- 59 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/portrait-graphite-tutorial.php
- 60 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/portrait-graphite-tutorial.php
- 61 http://pinkpigtails.deviantart.com/art/quot-Dance-of-Spring-quot-Tutorial-132637852
- 62 http://pinkpigtails.deviantart.com/art/quot-Dance-of-Spring-quot-Tutorial-132637852
- 63 http://emptyeasel.com/2006/12/08/how-to-draw-what-you-see-techniques-and-tips-to-improve-your-drawing-skills/
- 64 http://emptyeasel.com/2006/12/08/how-to-draw-what-you-see-techniques-and-tips-to-improve-your-drawing-skills/
- 65 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Shading-and-Blending-63643800
- 66 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Shading-and-Blending-63643800
- 67 http://www.ratemydrawings.com/tutorials/drawing/138-Tips_for_drawing_hands.html
- 68 http://www.ratemydrawings.com/tutorials/drawing/138-Tips_for_drawing_hands.html
- 69 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/circulism-tutorial.php
- 70 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/circulism-tutorial.php
- 71 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/3d-drawing-tutorial.php
- 72 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/3d-drawing-tutorial.php
- 73 http://emptyeasel.com/2006/11/24/9-steps-to-creating-better-compositions/
- 74 http://emptyeasel.com/2006/11/24/9-steps-to-creating-better-compositions/
- 75 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/dessiner-vetements-tutorial.php
- 76 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/dessiner-vetements-tutorial.php
- 77 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Editing-Drawings-78649061
- 78 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Editing-Drawings-78649061
- 79 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Detailed-Hair-part-1-72642274
- 80 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Detailed-Hair-part-1-72642274
- 81 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/portrait-tutorial.php
- 82 http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/tutorial/portrait-tutorial.php
- 83 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Proportions-112009276
- 84 http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Proportions-112009276
- 85 http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2008/02/14/how-to-draw-caricatures-1-the-5-shapes/
- 86 http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2008/02/14/how-to-draw-caricatures-1-the-5-shapes/
- 87 http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2008/03/11/how-to-draw-caricatures-head-shapes/
- 88 http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2008/03/11/how-to-draw-caricatures-head-shapes/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.