On January 13, 2010, the world was shocked to hear the news1 about the devastation that took place in Haiti. An earthquake with the magnitude of 7.0 hit the country hard. A few days later, we were informed of the hundreds of thousands of people that were killed due to this horrific event. When the people around the world heard of this tragedy, lots of them immediately took action. Millions of dollars have been raised thus far to help out the Haitians.
While I was reading Twitter on that day, it seemed like many designers got involved as well. Hundreds of tweets filled my stream saying that they have donated money to the cause of reviving and salvaging what’s left of Haiti. Today, I just want to showcase some of the designs that were created by designers who got involved and wanted to spread the word about helping the country of Haiti. Also, many designers have decided to blog about it and to donate proceeds from their work to help out those suffering in Haiti.
Help Haiti (Showcase of Designs) Link
Note: Please click on the images to see them in their websites and to learn more about their artists.
Around the Design Community Link
Here are some other posts from the design community that also deals with this subject at hand.
As I’m sure you all know, the nation of Haiti was completely devastated by a powerful earthquake last week. It’s kind of put things in perspective. Here I am sitting on my nice, shinny Macbook, blogging about beautiful images, logos, websites and such. Meanwhile, thousands and thousands of people have literally lost everything. For many, the loss was fatal.
After the catastrophic earthquake that struck Haiti last Tuesday, everyone is trying to help however they can and the design community is also trying to do it’s part. Such artists like James White, Chuck Anderson, Nathalie Bertin, and more are donating 100% of the sales to help Haiti and giving you a chance to help as well.
The empathy that provides designers with their intuitive and creative advantage can also ignite a compelling need to help others, such as when we witness the kind of devastation and suffering that nature has unleashed on the people of Haiti. Members have been asking how they can contribute toward saving lives and providing hope for the future, and whether there is a means for AIGA to organize help.
All of us know about the powerful earthquake that destroyed Haiti few days ago. Thousands of people died, lost their families, places to live, and work. In this article I’ve decided to find an examples of effective and well designed websites of non profit organizations that help Haiti.
Support the Cause Link
What have you done to spread the word or to help out this country in need? I suggest trying to find a charity and donating to help out those folks who are in desperate need. If you can also say a prayer for them, that would be wonderful as well. Let’s not forget this tragic day and let’s be more thankful for what we have, our families, our jobs and our homes.
I’d love to know about what else others have done to help out. Also, if you have any interesting designs that you have created about spreading Haiti, please feel free to leave your comment below. Thanks for viewing this post.
- 1 http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/12/haiti.earthquake/index.html
- 2 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/help-haiti/391771
- 3 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/AhITI/392356
- 4 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/S_O_S_-Haiti-poster/392596
- 5 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/awareness-poster-Hospitals-in-Haiti/392907
- 6 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/United-we-Heal-respect-Haiti/393912
- 7 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/United-we-Heal-respect-Haiti/393912
- 8 http://blog.signalnoise.com/2010/01/14/signalnoise-for-haiti/
- 9 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Help_Heal_Haiti/355994
- 10 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Help-Haiti/395709
- 11 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Nightmare-in-HaAti/395990
- 12 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/who-will-rise-up/396229
- 13 http://www.threadless.com/product/2191/Many_Hands_Make_the_Load_Lighter#zoom
- 14 http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesavage57/4276510769/
- 15 http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Ayudemos-a-HaitA/398413
- 16 http://ralphbalena.deviantart.com/art/Help-Haiti-150693167
- 17 http://cruciald.deviantart.com/art/Help-Hope-Haiti-150872297
- 18 http://www.flickr.com/photos/workerman/4294892632/sizes/o/
- 19 http://blog.echoenduring.com/2010/01/18/designing-to-help-relief-work-in-haiti/
- 20 http://abduzeedo.com/buy-art-help-haiti
- 21 http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/how-can-designers-help-haiti
- 22 http://mogdesign.eu/blog/26-well-designed-websites-that-help-haiti/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.