Menu Search
Jump to the content X X
Smashing Conf New York

We use ad-blockers as well, you know. We gotta keep those servers running though. Did you know that we publish useful books and run friendly conferences — crafted for pros like yourself? E.g. upcoming SmashingConf Barcelona, dedicated to smart front-end techniques and design patterns.

Professional Web Design: Our First eBook

The book contains a selection of our best articles about professional Web design and the business side of web development. It contains 10 already published articles and 2 exclusive, newly written pieces. The book costs only $9.90.

This e-book contains a selection of the best articles about professional Web design that have been published on Smashing Magazine in 2009 and 2010. The articles have been carefully edited and prepared for the PDF version; some screenshots and links were removed to make the book easier to read and print out.

This book presents guidelines for professional Web development, including communicating with clients, creating a road map to a successful portfolio, rules for professional networking and tips on designing user interfaces for business Web applications. The book shares expert advice, and it also helps you learn how to respond effectively to design criticism, use storytelling for a better user experience and apply color theory to your professional designs.

Buy now and download PDF right away!4

Order now!85

Everybody who buys the book supports Smashing Magazine and helps us to keep producing free high quality content. This book is not protected by DRM. It is available exclusively here, in the Smashing Shop. Please respect our work and the hard efforts of our writers. If you received this book from a source other than the Smashing Shop, please support us by purchasing your copy in our online store7.

Table of Contents Link

On 242 pages you will read:

• Harsh Truths About Corporate Websites (Paul Boag)
  • Portfolio Design Study: Design Patterns and Current Practices (Vitaly Friedman)
  • Creating A Successful Online Portfolio (Sean Hodge)
  • Better User Experience With Storytelling (Francisco Inchauste)
  • Designing User Interfaces For Business Web Applications (Janko Jovanovic)
  • Progressive Enhancement And Standards Do Not Limit Web Design (new article by Christian Heilmann)
  • Color Theory for Professional Designers (Cameron Chapman)
  • Is John The Client Dense or Are You Failing Him? (Paul Boag)
  • How To Identify and Deal With Different Types Of Clients (Robert Bowen)
  • How To Respond Effectively To Design Criticism (Andrew Follett)
  • Web Designer’s Guide to Professional Networking (new article by Steven Snell)
  • Group Interview: Expert Advice For Students and Young Web Designers (Steven Snell)

Please also spread the word on Twitter10 and share on Facebook11. We appreciate your support!

Footnotes Link

1. 1 http://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashingbook-dispatcher.php?d=smashing-ebook-series-1-professional-web-design
  2. 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ebook-professional-web-design-sample.pdf
  3. 3 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/products/smashingconf-oxford-2016
  4. 4 http://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashingbook-dispatcher.php?d=smashing-ebook-series-1-professional-web-design
  5. 5 http://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashingbook-dispatcher.php?d=smashing-ebook-series-1-professional-web-design
  6. 6 http://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashingbook-dispatcher.php?d=smashing-ebook-series-1-professional-web-design
  7. 7 http://shop.smashingmagazine.com
  8. 8 http://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashingbook-dispatcher.php?d=smashing-ebook-series-1-professional-web-design
  9. 9 http://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashingbook-dispatcher.php?d=smashing-ebook-series-1-professional-web-design
SmashingConf New York

Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Barcelona, on October 25–26, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.

The Smashing team loves high-quality content and cares about the little details. Through our online articles, Smashing Books, eBooks as well as Smashing Conferences, we are committed to stimulating creativity and strengthening the web design community’s creative forces.

Martin Leblanc

March 22, 2010 12:43 pm

I love Smashing Magazine and this ebook, but please don’t shut off access to the content.

(This is going to be a long list of comments – i can feel it)

MadeByKendall

March 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Will buy, if nothing else just to support your efforts..many thanks!

Smashing Magazine

March 22, 2010 12:49 pm

It’s 10pm here guys, we will be here for another hour to answer your questions, and clarify the issue.

I hope things go well for you all. I enjoy your work, and am glad to be able to help support you!

Jeroen Marechal

March 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Just got myself a copy of this ebook. It looks good so far! Keep it up!

Just got my copy. I get a lot of traffic from my features on your site and several have resulted in clients. Happy to help!

Great Price and i buy it right now.

Thanks for your Work

I am really critic with you because I expect the best, and I wish you the best, and I know the best things will come.

I just got done reading through the sample. Although I prefer to read on normal paper, I will probably buy it anyways.

Ignaty Nikulin

March 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Will buy it, because first book was something! Problem is that I moving to London and can order this book when found place to leave. Will be super if you sell those in shops :)

Wow guys, I wish we could help you with a lot more… Why don’t you just partner with another company/blog? You relly need to reduce your costs as you said. How about more ads? What else do you have in mind besides the PDF? Selling that eBook is just a short option, you need to think long term…

Smashing Editorial

March 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Thank you for your support, Luis – it means a world to us. We are considering various options right now, please stay tuned.

Martin Brochhaus

March 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Get in contact with Peter Sunde and become a beta tester for his new service “flattr” – im sure with this micropayment platform on your site you would earn hundrets of thousands of euros..

Anwar Bendaoud Andersson

March 24, 2010 6:47 am

Great idea Martin. SM should really follow up on this advice!

I’ll be buying the book, however, I’d think it would be awesome to see some openness in regards to this plea that you’ve posted here.

Since you made some drastic changes, redirected people here and are openly asking for money, I’d like to see some results. Will you tell us what the results are from this? How many bought the book, how does it effect your revenue in the coming months, etc etc.

I for one will be buying this book. Not because I think it’s worth $10 but because thanks to Smashing Magazine I have become a confident web-designer. When I left University Smashing Mag was the only place I could go to get answers for the problems I often face. I would also like to wish the team all the best in finding as much money as possible! Keep er lit!

UGH! I hate E-books! LOL Mainly because I just hate reading the screen after too long.

However, in support, I will get it… and just print out what I need.

I think the best platform is to continue to create some content for free…but some exclusive content should be paid for…

So your ebook today, while I’d be eager to help, doesn’t help me, if I’ve already read the articles online… Create a “quarterly” ..or whatever ebook with articles that aren’t on your website …exclusive…and i’d be glad to support and pay more.

The smashing book arrived back in january for me, and it was a great read…would also support in more of those projects as well.

Cheers.

I’m all for buying more e-books with content that we’ve not read! Thank you Smashing. Keep up the good work! And God bless you.

Cheers

From the sounds of your plea, you may want to invest some of your “money” into a copywriter, editor, or word processor so that you can avoid grammatical errors during these “times” of trouble.

Buying the book now. Please don’t stop providing great quality content!

Daniel Kurdoghlian

March 22, 2010 12:55 pm

..and what you learned today, smashing-mag?…
    I’m curious how many subscribers and followers you scared away..

I will definitely buy it. I believe in giving back to those that have given to us and you have given a huge amount of knowledge. Thank you for being such a great resource. Even if people don’t agree, I don’t think they should feel offended by asking for support.

Thanks again!

andy matthews

March 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Just a note on a spelling error. I’m sure you were tired, being there until 10pm:

“We have recently moved to an office and we hired more people, and we invesed more money”.

Invested is spelled wrong.