It’s time for something new. Recently, we launched an eBook series. The first eBook was about Professional Web Design. And now our second eBook, brand new, is dedicated to Rules and Guidelines For Successful Freelancing1. The book contains 260 pages and articles that have appeared here on Smashing Magazine as well as a couple of exclusive articles.
Being a great Web designer or developer is one thing — running a successful freelance business another. Whether you already have work experience in companies or have just graduated from design school, being self-employed entails a number of tasks that you most likely haven’t had to deal with so far. As a freelance Web designer, you also have to be a project manager, office administrator, accountant, controller and IT expert.
The eBook is, like its predecessor, a summary, a “best of” compilation of articles about professional freelancing that have been published on Smashing Magazine in 2009 and 2010. We re-arranged everything, corrected it carefully, added beautiful illustrations and — where necessary — updated the content. Many screenshots and links were removed to make the book easier to read and print.
The eBook, in PDF format, is ideal for archiving, for arm chair or mobile reading and, of course, for printing. In addition to the 21 published articles, the eBook contains 2 exclusive newly written pieces, with 20 exclusive beautiful illustrations by Ricardo Gimenes.
The book is not protected by DRM and is available exclusively in the Smashing Shop. Please respect our work and the hard efforts of our writers. If you have received this book from a source other than the Smashing Shop, please support us by purchasing your copy in our online store.
The authors are: Robert Bowen, Tim Mercer, Cameron Chapman, Paul Boag, Andrew Follett, Sam Barnes, Graham Smith, Ryan Scherf, Aurimas Adomavicius, Andy Rutledge, Luke Reimer, Rob Smith, Jeff Gardner, Peter Smart, Aaron Griffith, Alyssa Gregory and Thursday Bram.
Table of Contents Link
In the 260 pages, spread over four chapters, you will read:
- Essential Habits of an Effective Professional Freelancer (Rob Smith)
- Common Questions of Web Designers (Andy Rutledge)
- The Designer Who Delivers (Aurimas Adomavicius)
- Critical Mistakes Freelancers Make (Robert Bowen)
- The Importance of Customer Service (Robert Bowen)
- Creatively Handling the Admin Side of Freelancing (Robert Bowen)
- Pitching Like a Pro (Cameron Chapman)
- The Finances of Freelancing (Luke Reimer)
- How to Identify and Deal With Different Types of Clients (Robert Bowen)
- How to Improve Designer-Client Relationships (Aaron Griffith)
- How to Communicate with Developers Effectively (Ryan Scherf)
- How to Educate Your Clients on Web Development (Aurimas Adomavicius)
- How to Explain to Clients That They Are Wrong (Sam Barnes)
- How to Respond Effectively to Design Criticism (Andrew Follett)
- How to Persuade Your Users, Boss or Clients (Paul Boag)
- How to Create the Perfect Client Questionnaire (Cameron Chapman)
- Getting Clients: Approaching the Company (Peter Smart)
- Converting Prospects into Clients (Alyssa Gregory)
- Marketing Rules and Principles for Freelancers (Jeff Gardner)
- How Many Ideas Do You Show Your Clients? (Graham Smith)
- Freelance Contracts: Do’s And Don’ts (Robert Bowen)
- What’s in a Price: Guidelines for Pricing Web Designs (Thursday Bram)
- Quality-Price Ratio in Web Design (Jeff Gardner)
- 1 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/products/successful-freelancing-1
- 2 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/products/successful-freelancing-1
- 3 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashingbook-dispatcher.php?d=smashing-ebook-successful-freelancing
- 4 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/products/successful-freelancing-1