Professionals in any field should always keep business cards on them because you never know when you’ll meet a potential client, partner or like-minded person. Despite their small size, business cards are one of the most powerful and handiest marketing tools. Not only do they create a link between you and your new contact, they’re also a quick way to give a great first impression. Business cards promote your skills and achievements and serve as a little container for big ideas.
Don’t underestimate the process of designing business cards; a well-made card does not just share your contact details: it generates further sharing and buzz. Like any self-promotion tool, designing a business card requires solid brainstorming and careful implementation to get the best effect.
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- The Basics of Business Card Design1
- Designing and Producing Creative Business Cards2
- Business Card Design: Better Than A Plain Ol’ Business Card3
- The Ultimate Round-Up of Print Design Tutorials4
This post targets a diverse audience. It features a collection of remarkable business card designs that could help you in your search for creative ideas. The round-up of fresh tutorials and business card templates further down might come in handy for those who don’t have the skills or experience to design their own.
Showcase Of Original And Memorable Business Cards Link
Letterpress Cards Link
Letterpress printing has actually been the only form of printing text and images since it was invented by Johannes Gutenberg in the 15th century. Because of its distinctive qualities, such as crisp and tangible impression onto paper, letterpress work is now widely used for branding and identity development. Letterpress gives stronger visual definition to type and artwork and has a special touch, which is why it’s a popular technique for business card printing. Below you can see some beautiful examples of letterpress business cards.
This stylish letterpress business card was designed for the creative agency Space150 by designer Evan Nagan. The card is part of the agency’s periodic general redesign, which it conducts every 150 days. The elegant constellation theme and high-quality letterpress printing make for an excellent card.
This card promotes the portfolio of the German photographer Florian Muller (aka the White Rabbit). The use of the negatives pattern incorporates the card owner’s occupation well, and the surface is enhanced by an embossed rabbit.
The effective combination of blind and ink debossing, along with the subtle coloring along the edge, makes for a clean and exquisite business card that perfectly conveys the aesthetic of the photographer’s online portfolio.
Second World Design
The guys over at Second World took their branding very seriously, resulting in the clean beautiful letterpress card you see below.
This card was designed by photographer Riley Maclean for his company Kinetic Lens24. Combining various letterpress techniques and a great set of red tones, this business card has a multi-dimensional feel. It’s printed on thick 220-pound-bond cotton paper.
23rd And 5th28
Here is a beautiful business card showing fine typography and two-color letterpress. It was designed for the staff of the 23rd & 5th branding agency. This business card for the Director of Development features a QR code that drives contacts to a dedicated mobile website optimized for the iPhone, Blackberry and Android.
Die-Cut Business Cards Link
Something else that determines a business card’s memorability and appeal is shape. Today many individuals, businesses and organizations die-cut their cards, going beyond traditional dimensions. Die-cutting is an effective way to make a business card eye-catching, unique and even interactive. But remember that a die-cut card should still be compact enough to fit in a standard wallet or card holder. Alternatively, you could suggest some other way to carry or hold your card. Some noteworthy die-cut business cards are showcased below.
Derrick Mitchell, a designer from Kalispell, Montana, creates his business cards by hand with chip board, screen printing, labels and stamps.
This die-cut masterpiece belongs to the Israel-based designer Alteroy. The cardboard icons can be separated. Much effort was put into this business card, and the result is absolutely worth it.
Besides containing the contact info of German dentist Herbert Martin, this business card has another cool function: it helps you check your bite by way of a die-cut stencil. Designed by Petra Penz45.
Classic, With a Twist Link
Most of the business cards below have a classic rectangular shape and standard dimensions… but that is where their classic-ness ends. Creative ideas and skillful implementation make these cards look anything but ordinary.
Erich Hartmann52 designed his business card to spell out a bunch of his skills, along with his main occupation. This clever idea is nicely visualized by way of a two-sided card, with an offset logo on the front and letterpress on the back.
Grill Me 57
To see the info on this business card, grill it against a fire, because the card is stamped with lemon juice for ink. Quite an original idea, but using this effect for non-essential information or for an image, rather than contact info, might be more reasonable.
A beautiful artistic business card by graphic designer Stepan Prokop.
Combining Techniques Link
When it comes to developing promotional material for a brand today, the variety of choice is impressive. With all the different printing techniques, the loads of diverse paper and material available and relatively cheap digital technology, the process of designing a business card is limited only by the designer’s imagination. The following business cards rely on both paper quality and printing methods to create a memorable experience.
Design company Cinch Creative printed its business cards on 60-point Blotter paper with a fine natural texture. Thanks to this and the debossed logo and text, the card is a pleasure for both the eyes and hands.
Here’s a green approach to business card design. The cards for Fiverr CEO Micha Kaufman are made from recycled paper and cardboard. Moreover, the cards are completely hand-made. See details on Kaufman’s Facebook page.
This card, inspired by a boarding pass stub, was created by creative agency R3M1X3D82 for transportation company Groundflights. It is a successful mix of letterpress printing and die-cutting.
Premium paper, imitation rhino skin and a stylized typographic logo make this card chic indeed. Designed by Contreforme.
This vintage-looking business card, which features die-cutting, embossing and high-quality paper, was designed by the studio Second World for the film production company Paper Fortress.
The cool illusion on this business card was achieved with a thin transparent plate that makes it look as though this faux-3D brick is broken. The amazing card was created by Saatchi & Saatchi, Indonesia, for a karate club.
Something Completely Different Link
The cards showcased below considerably expand the parameters of the business card format. It seems that business cards can be grown, played with and even eaten! Look at the craziest business card concepts around.
Gitam BBDO Spicy
The Gitam BBDO agency uses spice sachets as business cards, associating each of its departments with a particular condiment.
BC Adventure Survival Training95
The cards of BC Adventure remain extremely useful even in situations where a business card is useless. They are made of organic beef jerky and are good to eat for up to a year.
This business card is a thin envelope stuffed with grass seed. The clean design, clever copy and sneaky seed surprise make for an adorable card. Designed by Brandon Knowlden.
For the most desperate self-promoters, peanut business cards are not a bad idea. Taberu Me103 uses innovative CO2 laser engraving technology to print on the peanuts. But before you hands yours out, make sure no squirrels or chipmunks are around.
This business card design is an ongoing project of Philadelphia-based industrial designer Wes Thomas. The laser-cut card can be quickly transformed in a cute desktop toy. This is no ordinary concept and is pretty labor-intensive, but who would refuse such a business toy for their desk?
Business Card Galleries Link
Only the truly unique are remembered. When designing anything for yourself, it’s always useful to look around for fresh ideas. Here are permanent showcase galleries where you can find trends and best practices for business card design.
- Card Observer107
- Card Nerd109
- The Art of the Business Card (Flickr pool)114
To get you started on your own business card, we’ve selected some fresh and useful tutorials and guides that cover various issues you might deal with in this area.
Create a Print-Ready Business Card in Illustrator116
In this tutorial, well-known designer and blogger Chris Spooner walks you through the process of creating a fun business card with a sketched illustration.
How to Create a Stylish Business Card Template in Adobe Photoshop118
In this tutorial, you learn how to create an elegant minimalist business card design in Photoshop. The source files are available for free downloading.
Create a Grunge Print-Ready Business Card
Use this tutorial to create a business card with nifty faded brush strokes in Photoshop.
How to Make a Print-Ready Business Card in Photoshop
In this tutorial, you will learn how to create a two-sided business card with crop marks and bleed.
Business Card Tutorial in Inkscape130
Here is a detailed guide on how to design a business card in Inkscape. While the result shown does not look that great, the principles of working in Inkscape are described quite well, so you can get a better result using this open-source graphics editor.
How to Design a Print-Ready Business Card Design in Photoshop135
This business card tutorial includes a couple of bonus templates, which you can download in PSD format and use for free.
How to Make your Own Photographic Negative Business Cards141
Now, here’s a completely different take on business card design. Photographer Steph Goralnik shares his technique for crafting a unique photographic negative business card.
How to Choose Business Card Paper
Paper is an important consideration when printing business cards. The right paper can make your card shine, while poor-quality stock can spoil even a top-notch design. Read this article to learn the key points and differences between various types of paper.
A template is definitely a great option for those who don’t have the skill to create a business card on their own. But even if you’re a professional designer, you may need the job done very fast or simply want to save time making customizations. This is when a template comes in handy. Below you’ll find a selection of well-designed free and commercial business card templates that you can take advantage of in your own projects.
Free Templates Link
Most of the templates in this category are free for personal and commercial use, but please be sure to read all accompanying legal usage notes before downloading the files.
Free Business Card Design Pumpkin
This “Pumpkin” business card template features 300 DPI resolution and CMYK color mode for professional printing, front and back sides and four color schemes: pumpkin, cream, Indian pink and brown.
Business Card Template
Here is a blank template for a standard US business card. Both JPEG and PSD versions of the template are available for free downloading.
Seextwood Business Card | More
A minimalist template in CMYK mode and 300 DPI resolution. The dimensions are 3.5 x 2.5 inches.
4 Blue Personal Business Card Templates | More
A set of four PSD business card templates in blue. The dimensions are 3 x 2 inches, and the resolution 300 DPI.
Premium Templates Link
Pure Style Business Card Template171 | More185179172
A minimalist two-sided business card design (3.5 x 2 inches) that can fit practically any profession or brand. The template comes in high resolution and requires Adobe Photoshop 8 or higher for editing. Price: $7
Business card (set 17) | More business card templates
These cheerful business cards might appeal to people in creative fields. Three license types are available; the basic one gives you this set for $5.
Typography Mini Business Card175 | More188182176
These bright typographic mini-cards come in two styles, grungy and clean, and include a black and white version for low-cost printing. The templates are print-ready and can be edited in Photoshop. Price: $6
Blue Bubble business card181 | More188182176
This clean and airy design will appeal to fans of minimalism. It is in print-ready CMYK, 300 DPI, and includes two PSD files and two high-quality JPG images. Price: $5
Black Business Card Template184 | More185179172
This business card has a rather universal design and would serve a personal brand, company or other project equally well. It is print ready; all you need to do is change the default text. Price: $7
The Black Family business Card Pack187 | More188182176
These super-original and cute business cards might be good for showing off members of a creative team. They are two-sided, in CMYK and 300 DPI, easy to edit and print-ready. Price: $6
Related Posts Link
You may be interested in the following related posts:
- Business Card Design: Better Than A Plain Ol’ Business Card190
- The Ultimate Round-Up of Print Design Tutorials191
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/04/basics-business-card-design/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/09/creative-business-cards-techniques-and-preparation/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/05/effective-business-card-design-better-than-a-plain-ol-business-card/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/10/the-ultimate-round-up-of-print-design-tutorials/
- 5 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/john_henry_donovan
- 6 http://johnhenry.ie/
- 7 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/john_henry_donovan
- 8 http://www.flickr.com/photos/crankypressman/4509362595/
- 9 http://www.flickr.com/photos/crankypressman/4509362595/
- 10 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/chris_piascik
- 11 http://chrispiascik.com/
- 12 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/chris_piascik
- 13 http://cardgala.com/gallery/space150/
- 15 http://creattica.com/business-cards/business-card-white-rabbit/39463
- 16 http://cardspress.com/gallery/one-in-zero-business-cards.html
- 17 http://cardspress.com/gallery/one-in-zero-business-cards.html
- 18 http://cardspress.com/gallery/montage-creative-business-card.html
- 19 http://cardspress.com/gallery/montage-creative-business-card.html
- 20 http://cardgala.com/gallery/paper-monkey-press/
- 21 http://www.papermonkeypress.com/
- 22 http://cardgala.com/gallery/paper-monkey-press/
- 23 http://cardspress.com/gallery/kinetic-lens.html
- 24 http://kineticlens.com/
- 25 http://cardspress.com/gallery/kinetic-lens.html
- 26 http://www.cardnerd.com/card-inspiration/laura-moretz
- 27 http://www.cardnerd.com/card-inspiration/laura-moretz
- 28 http://cardobserver.com/gallery/23rd-and-5th
- 29 http://cardobserver.com/gallery/23rd-and-5th
- 30 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/popupology
- 31 http://www.popupology.co.uk/
- 32 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/popupology
- 33 http://cardspress.com/gallery/silk-business-card.html
- 34 http://cardspress.com/gallery/silk-business-card.html
- 35 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/kaman
- 36 http://www.kamanco.ir/
- 37 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/kaman
- 38 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ideakitchn/4427453585/in/photostream/
- 39 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ideakitchn/4427453585/in/photostream/
- 40 http://alicecho.net/#250022/Amundson-Films
- 41 http://alicecho.net/#250022/Amundson-Films
- 42 http://www.businesscardcritic.com/2010/04/27/carlos-vazquez-the-mac-guy/
- 43 http://www.businesscardcritic.com/2010/04/27/carlos-vazquez-the-mac-guy/
- 44 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/herbert_martin
- 45 http://www.petrapenz.de
- 46 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/herbert_martin
- 47 http://trufcreative.com/truf_number_486/truf/
- 48 http://trufcreative.com/truf_number_486/truf/
- 49 http://www.behance.net/gallery/coco/307178
- 50 http://www.behance.net/gallery/coco/307178
- 51 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/erich_hartmann
- 52 http://erichhartmann.net
- 53 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/erich_hartmann
- 54 http://cardview.net/gallery/fran-rosa-business-card/630/
- 55 http://visualkultura.com/
- 56 http://cardview.net/gallery/fran-rosa-business-card/630/
- 57 http://cardview.net/gallery/bkk-grill-business-card/437/
- 58 http://cardview.net/gallery/bkk-grill-business-card/437/
- 59 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Rabiscos/317103
- 60 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Rabiscos/317103
- 61 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/sandra_boils
- 62 http://www.mentagrafica.com/proyectos/sandra-boils/
- 63 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/sandra_boils
- 64 http://cardview.net/gallery/grass-texture-business-card/125/
- 65 http://sniperyu.deviantart.com/
- 66 http://cardview.net/gallery/grass-texture-business-card/125/
- 67 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/van_der_buzz
- 68 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/van_der_buzz
- 69 http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatwhat/4588782704/
- 70 http://www.whatwhat.co.uk/
- 71 http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatwhat/4588782704/
- 72 http://adsoftheworld.com/media/dm/tam_cargo_business_card
- 73 http://yrbrasil.com.br/
- 74 http://adsoftheworld.com/media/dm/tam_cargo_business_card
- 75 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/cinch_creative
- 76 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/cinch_creative
- 77 http://ralev.com/print-design/feelmecrew-business-card/
- 78 http://ralev.com/print-design/feelmecrew-business-card/
- 79 http://www.flickr.com/photos/michakaufman/4586281073/in/photostream/
- 80 http://www.flickr.com/photos/michakaufman/4586281073/in/photostream/
- 81 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/groundflights
- 82 http://www.r3mx.com/
- 83 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/groundflights
- 84 http://www.behance.net/gallery/BUSINESS-CARD-COLLECTION/580430
- 85 http://www.behance.net/gallery/BUSINESS-CARD-COLLECTION/580430
- 86 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/philosophy_communications
- 87 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/philosophy_communications
- 88 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/hear_agency
- 89 http://www.chasehouston.com
- 90 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/hear_agency
- 91 http://cardview.net/gallery/broken-karate-business-card/405/
- 92 http://cardview.net/gallery/broken-karate-business-card/405/
- 93 http://www.fabiomilito.com/index.php?/2010/musical-businesscard-comb/
- 94 http://www.fabiomilito.com/index.php?/2010/musical-businesscard-comb/
- 95 http://adsoftheworld.com/media/dm/bc_adventure_survival_training_business_card
- 96 http://adsoftheworld.com/media/dm/bc_adventure_survival_training_business_card
- 97 http://www.samgough.co.uk/
- 98 http://www.samgough.co.uk/
- 99 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/dept_of_energy
- 100 http://deptofenergy.com/
- 101 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/dept_of_energy
- 102 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/taberu_me
- 103 http://www.arigatou3.com/english/
- 104 http://www.cardonizer.com/business_cards/taberu_me
- 105 http://westhomasdesign.com/journal/2009/10/business-card/
- 106 http://westhomasdesign.com/journal/2009/10/business-card/
- 107 http://cardobserver.com/
- 108 http://www.cardonizer.com/
- 109 http://www.cardnerd.com/
- 110 http://cardview.net/
- 111 http://cardgala.com/
- 112 http://creattica.com/business-cards
- 113 http://cardspress.com/
- 114 http://www.flickr.com/groups/artofthebusinesscard/
- 115 http://www.businesscardcritic.com/
- 116 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-print-ready-business-card-design-in-illustrator
- 117 http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-print-ready-business-card-design-in-illustrator
- 118 http://www.flashmint.com/wp/2010/07/how-to-create-a-stylish-business-card-template-in-adobe-photoshop/
- 119 http://www.flashmint.com/wp/2010/07/how-to-create-a-stylish-business-card-template-in-adobe-photoshop/
- 120 http://www.animhut.com/tuts/psd/tutorial-how-to-create-a-nebula-background-business-card/
- 121 http://www.animhut.com/tuts/psd/tutorial-how-to-create-a-nebula-background-business-card/
- 122 http://www.designers-paradise.co.uk/tutorial-26-Cool-print-ready-business-card-tutorial.html
- 123 http://www.designers-paradise.co.uk/tutorial-26-Cool-print-ready-business-card-tutorial.html
- 124 http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/06/how-to-design-your-business-card/
- 125 http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/06/how-to-design-your-business-card/
- 126 http://www.dawghousedesignstudio.com/archives/2010/business-card-design-walkthrough/
- 127 http://www.dawghousedesignstudio.com/archives/2010/business-card-design-walkthrough/
- 128 http://www.animhut.com/tuts/psd/psd-tutorial-design-a-dirty-business-card/
- 129 http://www.animhut.com/tuts/psd/psd-tutorial-design-a-dirty-business-card/
- 130 http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/business-card-tutorial-in-inkscapeorg.html
- 131 http://tutorialfreakz.com/business-card/
- 132 http://tutorialfreakz.com/business-card/
- 133 http://www.photoshopstar.com/graphics/making-creative-business-card/
- 134 http://www.photoshopstar.com/graphics/making-creative-business-card/
- 135 http://www.tuttoaster.com/design-a-print-ready-business-card-in-photoshop/
- 136 http://www.tuttoaster.com/design-a-print-ready-business-card-in-photoshop/
- 137 http://www.eyesontutorials.com/articles/5312/1/How-to-design-Business-Card/Page1.html
- 138 http://www.eyesontutorials.com/articles/5312/1/How-to-design-Business-Card/Page1.html
- 139 http://thetalentshowcase.wordpress.com/2010/06/27/tutorial-grungy-business-card/
- 140 http://thetalentshowcase.wordpress.com/2010/06/27/tutorial-grungy-business-card/
- 141 http://www.petapixel.com/2010/06/18/how-to-make-your-own-photographic-negative-business-cards/
- 142 http://www.petapixel.com/2010/06/18/how-to-make-your-own-photographic-negative-business-cards/
- 143 http://www.creativepro.com/article/paper-tips-how-to-choose-the-right-paper-
- 144 http://depart.deviantart.com/art/i-love-dA-business-card-174049900
- 145 http://depart.deviantart.com/
- 146 http://depart.deviantart.com/art/i-love-dA-business-card-174049900
- 147 http://freelanceswitch.com/freebies/freebie-freelanceswitch-business-card-template/
- 148 http://freelanceswitch.com/freebies/freebie-freelanceswitch-business-card-template/
- 149 http://www.freshbusinesscards.com/2010/05/bokeh-business-card/
- 150 http://www.freshbusinesscards.com/2010/05/bokeh-business-card/
- 151 http://cursiveq.com/free-business-card-template-for-photoshop-psd/
- 152 http://cursiveq.com/category/business-card-templates/
- 153 http://cursiveq.com/free-business-card-template-for-photoshop-psd/
- 154 http://www.psdgraphics.com/psd/business-card-template-construction-hazard-stripes-theme/
- 155 http://www.psdgraphics.com/category/print-templates/
- 156 http://www.psdgraphics.com/psd/business-card-template-construction-hazard-stripes-theme/
- 157 http://ibrandstudio.com/freebies/abstract-blue-business-card-template
- 158 http://ibrandstudio.com/freebies/abstract-blue-business-card-template
- 159 http://www.psprint.com/print_services/creative/downloads/die_gallery.asp
- 160 http://www.freshbusinesscards.com/2010/07/noise-modern-card/
- 161 http://www.freshbusinesscards.com/2010/07/noise-modern-card/
- 162 http://graphic-identity.blogspot.com/2010/01/minimax-positivo-business-card-template.html
- 163 http://graphic-identity.blogspot.com/2010/01/minimax-positivo-business-card-template.html
- 164 http://www.vectorportal.com/category/Templates/iType/180/type.asp
- 165 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/buscardtemp12.jpg
- 166 http://www.vector-eps.com/index.php/2010/06/vertical-business-cards-vectors/
- 167 http://www.vector-eps.com/index.php/tag/business-cards/
- 168 http://www.vector-eps.com/index.php/2010/06/vertical-business-cards-vectors/
- 169 http://designersdigest.co/archive/free-business-card-templates/
- 170 http://designersdigest.co/archive/free-business-card-templates/
- 171 http://www.flashmint.com/show-template-2968.html
- 172 http://www.flashmint.com/show-subtype-business-cards.html
- 173 http://www.flashmint.com/show-template-2968.html
- 174 http://www.freshbusinesscards.com/premium-business-cards/
- 175 http://graphicriver.net/item/typography-mini-business-card/92875
- 176 http://graphicriver.net/searches?term=business+card&type=files
- 177 http://mayindigo.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/typographic.jpg
- 178 http://www.flashmint.com/show-template-2970.html
- 179 http://www.flashmint.com/show-subtype-business-cards.html
- 180 http://mayindigo.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/flashmint2.jpg
- 181 http://graphicriver.net/item/blue-bubble-business-card/101730
- 182 http://graphicriver.net/searches?term=business+card&type=files
- 183 http://graphicriver.net/item/blue-bubble-business-card/101730
- 184 http://www.flashmint.com/show-template-2976.html
- 185 http://www.flashmint.com/show-subtype-business-cards.html
- 186 http://mayindigo.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/flashmint3.jpg
- 187 http://graphicriver.net/item/the-black-family-business-card-pack/98564
- 188 http://graphicriver.net/searches?term=business+card&type=files
- 189 http://mayindigo.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/black-family.jpg
- 190 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/05/20/effective-business-card-design-better-than-a-plain-ol-business-card/
- 191 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/10/02/the-ultimate-round-up-of-print-design-tutorials/