Update: 15 Dec 2011. Submissions are now closed! The winners will be contacted tomorrow and announced next week!
2012 is around the corner and the year is (already!) coming to an end. We’d like to know how upcoming holidays are celebrated in your city. Just send us a photo of your kind of Christmas or New Year’s Eve and with some luck you may be the winner of some truly smashing prizes! We’re giving away five wonderfully designed books as well as five golden tickets for our upcoming Christmas special bundles.
But I Don’t Celebrate Christmas… Link
Of course, not everybody celebrates Christmas, but there is still something special about the atmosphere that upcoming holidays create worldwide. You may take pictures of your office New Year decorations, a market in your town or even a winter wonderland you’ve discovered! You can also make a photo of a special event — an event that makes you relate to the year coming to an end, or even your list of your New Year’s resolutions, or anything else really. Just keep in mind to stay creative!
The Prizes Link
The best photos will be rewarded with one of the five books presented below. The winners can select which book they’d like to have. We hope that the book will be delivered in time before the holidays, but unfortunately we can’t guarantee it. We’ve found the books in a selection by Maria Popova over at Brainpickings1. As mentioned above, we’ll also be giving away five golden tickets for our upcoming Christmas special bundles, meaning there will be ten winners in total! So… what are you waiting for?
Stunning, ambitious, and thoughtfully curated, Visual Storytelling is part high-concept dictionary for a language of increasingly critical importance, part priceless time-capsule of bleeding-edge creativity from the Golden Age of information overload, the era we call home. Image source.
Moby-Dick In Pictures: One Drawing For Every Page4
This artbook collects Matt Kish’s lo-fi drawings in a 600-page visual masterpiece of bold, breathtaking full-page illustrations that captivate eye, heart, and mind, inviting you to rediscover the Melville classic in entirely new ways.
A rigorously researched, beautifully designed, thoughtfully curated anthology of the world’s most compelling work at the intersection of these two relatively nascent yet increasingly powerful techno-cultural phenomena, network science and information visualization. Image source7.
Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout9
In Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout, artist Lauren Redniss tells the story of Curie through the two invisible but immensely powerful forces that guided her life: Radioactivity and love.
344 Questions: The Creative Person’s Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment11
A pocket-sized compendium of flowcharts and lists to help you figure out life’s big answers by ever-inventive designer Stefan G. Bucher.
Submission Guidelines Link
- Your photo should have JPG format, a maximum size of 4000 x 3000 pixels and should not exceed 8 MB in size.
- Each participant may send one photo at most.
- You may take photos of anything or anyone, as long as it fits the theme of the contest and nobody is harmed. Don’t forget to mention the city where your photo was taken at!
- Please name your photo with your full name (john-peterson.jpg)
- Please do not send ZIP, RAR or other compressed archives — just the image.
- You must own the copyright of the photo you are submitting.
- Submit your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All selected photos will be published in an upcoming Smashing Magazine post. So, get your cameras ready and shoot!
Examples To Get You Inspired Link
Just to give you an idea and inspiration for your entry, here are some photos to get your creative juices flowing:
Deadline and Announcement Link
Please submit your photo by December 15th at the latest. The qualifying submissions and the winners will be announced a couple of days later after that. We will showcase the most interesting photos here on Smashing Magazine, including the names of the contributors.
Please note: your photo will be used only for this event, and you will retain the full rights to it.
Let’s Go! Link
On your marks. Ready? Set? Go! Send your photo to email@example.com! We look forward to your photos, folks!
Wishing Y’all Happy Holidays!
— The Smashing Team
(sp) (il) (vf)
- 1 http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2011/11/28/best-art-design-books-2011/
- 2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/3899553756/
- 3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/3899553756/
- 4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1935639129/
- 5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1935639129/
- 6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1568989369/
- 7 http://www.creativeapplications.net/featured/visual-complexity-mapping-patterns-of-information-books/
- 8 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1568989369/
- 9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0061351326/
- 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0061351326/
- 11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321733002/
- 12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321733002/
- 13 http://www.flickr.com/photos/10289534@N07/5282958615/
- 14 http://www.flickr.com/photos/pagedooley/2096958311/sizes/l/in/photostream/
- 15 http://www.flickr.com/photos/pagedooley/3089531148/sizes/l/in/photostream/
- 16 http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmyroq/4209724633/sizes/l/in/photostream/
- 17 http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapeverything/4102825241/sizes/l/in/photostream/