Every now and then, we look around, select fresh free high-quality fonts and present them to you in a brief overview. The choice out there is enormous, so the time you need to find them is usually time you should be investing in your projects. We search for them and find them so that you don’t have to.
In this selection, we’re pleased to present Signika, Plastic Type, Bariol, Alegreya, Metropolis, Typometry and other quality fonts. Please note that while most fonts are available for commercial projects, some are for personal use only and are clearly marked as such. Also, please read the licensing agreements carefully before using the fonts; they may change from time to time. Make sure to check the free quality fonts round-up from January 20121, too.
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- The Best Free Fonts for Designers2
- 23 Splendid High-Quality Free Fonts3
- 25 Impressive Free High-Quality Fonts4
- 33 Beautiful High-Quality Free Fonts5
Free Quality Fonts Link
A remarkable sans-serif typeface with a gentle character, Signika was developed for wayfinding, signage and other media in which clarity of information is required. Developed by Anna Giedrys of Poland, the typeface has a low contrast and tall x-height to improve readability at small sizes and at far distances. The typeface has a wide character set, supporting most European languages, small caps, pictograms and arrows. All weights from light to bold have alternative negative versions, optimized to solve the effect of juxtaposed positive and negative text setting, whereby negative text tends to look thicker. Available at Google Web Fonts7 and for free download at Fontsquirrel8.
The designers of this typeface were inspired by the plastics industry, exploring how they could use the various forms and imperfections of plastic in their design. The result of their experimentation is a freely available, beautiful, playful font, released under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license.
Sullivan is a bold display face that comes in three variations. Each variation can be used effectively on its own or layered on the others to create a modern, industrial visual effect. The typeface was designed by Jason Mark Jones and released under the name-your-price policy.
Corki is a distinctive condensed slab-serif typeface suitable for headlines. Four styles are available: Regular, Rounded, Tuscan and Rounded Tuscan. The typeface includes 134 glyphs: both Latin and Cyrillic scripts, plus two manicules and various arrows. It is available for free.
Bariol is a friendly, rounded, slightly condensed typeface, available in four weights and designed with versatility and readability in mind. It’s nice and familiar, without being too sweet, and very readable even at small sizes. Bariol Regular is available for free (a tweet or Facebook update is requested), but each font weight can be purchased for just $1.00.
This beautifully designed serif typeface has a classic, olden feel. The uppercase letterforms seem to be based on Roman script, while the lowercase characters rather have the feel of a humanist book. The family consists of 12 fonts (including regular, italic, bold, black, bold italic and black italic.)
Metropolis is a distinctive, experimental typeface in the Art Deco style. The design was inspired by the industrial movement of the 1920s, when skyscrapers where born. As the designer explains, “Using a double line technique, I wanted to create my own Art Deco style font that represented this era. The result is a bold, bumptious typeface with a stolidly calm disposition.” Metropolis could be a good choice when you are looking for a retro or retro-futuristic look. Released under Fontfabric’s Free Font EULA, you may use it in your private and commercial projects for free, but if you use it with a
@font-face declaration, then a credit to Fontfabric is required somewhere on your website.
An experimental display typeface inspired by geometrical forms. An interesting choice for unique patterns or just playing arond with glyphs. Designed by Emil Kozole. An advanced version of the typeface with 2 weights, 4 styles and 220 glyphs is available as well.
Tikal Sans Medium25
Tikal Sans is a family with curved terminating strokes, ending in sharp edges. With a contemporary feel, a tall x-height and OpenType contextual alternate letters, Tikal Sans offers a functional look with a friendly touch. The thin and black weights are great for display sizes, while the light, regular and medium weights are well suited to longer texts. Tikal Sans Medium and Tikal Sans Medium Italic are available for free, but registration is required.
If you are looking for a workhorse typeface, then Actor might be it. It has a tall x-height, which is why it requires fairly high line spacing. The digits of Actor are created as old-style figures. The font can be used for free via Google Web Fonts28.
Veneer Extras and Veneer Extras Italic31
Veneer is a versatile, handcrafted “letterpress” font that has an authentic vintage feel with a touch of grunge. The freely available extras include 70 glyphs, in both regular and italics. Registration is required for the free download.
This type family, designed by Ralf Herrmann, sets a new standard for legibility in signage and wayfinding. Herrmann started this project with extensive field studies, driving tens of thousands of miles to explore the legibilty of road signage typefaces in dozens of countries around the world. The results of these explorations, along with an extensive study of relevant scientific legibilty research, formed the theoretical framework for creating an “ultimate” signage typeface. Wayfinding Sans includes 400 glyphs in one style, with arrows. To get the font, a tweet or Facebook update is required.
José Nicolás Silva Schwarzenberg of the University of Buenos Aires designed this free font specifically for the South American indigenous language Wayuunaiki. Fortunately, the tyepface can be used not only by the 305,000 Wayuu people, but by everyone across the world. It is a medium-contrast serif font, optimized for the Web and efficient at smaller sizes. Poly is available in the Google Web Fonts36 library as well.
- 1 /2012/01/09/high-quality-free-fonts-2012/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/07/best-free-fonts-designers/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/01/high-quality-free-fonts-2012/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/25-new-free-high-quality-fonts-typography/
- 5 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/08/new-high-quality-free-fonts/
- 6 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Signika/4335367
- 7 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Signika
- 8 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/signika
- 9 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Signika/4335367
- 10 http://www.behance.net/gallery/PLSTK-Free-Font/3010257
- 11 http://www.behance.net/gallery/PLSTK-Free-Font/3010257
- 12 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=sullivan
- 13 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=sullivan
- 14 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Corki/2697507
- 15 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Corki/2697507
- 16 http://www.bariol.com/
- 17 http://www.bariol.com/
- 18 http://www.huertatipografica.com.ar/tipografias/alegreya/ejemplos.html
- 19 http://www.huertatipografica.com.ar/tipografias/alegreya/ejemplos.html
- 20 http://fontfabric.com/metropolis-free-font/
- 21 http://fontfabric.com/metropolis-free-font/
- 22 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Typometry-Free-Font/3831957
- 23 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Typometry-Free-Font/3831957
- 24 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Typometry-Free-Font/3831957
- 25 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/tikal-sans
- 26 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Signika/4335367
- 27 http://26plus-zeichen.de/fonts/actor/
- 28 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Actor
- 29 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Actor
- 30 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Actor
- 31 http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/yellow-design/veneer/
- 32 http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/yellow-design/veneer/
- 33 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=ranger
- 34 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=ranger
- 35 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Poly-a-free-web-font/2890189
- 36 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Poly
- 37 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Poly-a-free-web-font/2890189
- 38 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Typeface-Adec20-(free)/2075950
- 39 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Typeface-Adec20-(free)/2075950
- 40 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Frontage-Typeface-freefont/3292158
- 41 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Frontage-Typeface-freefont/3292158
- 42 http://www.huertatipografica.com.ar/tipografias/andada/ejemplos.html
- 43 http://www.huertatipografica.com.ar/tipografias/andada/ejemplos.html
- 44 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=blanch
- 45 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=blanch
- 46 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Valentina-typeface-free-font/3527197
- 47 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Valentina-typeface-free-font/3527197
- 48 http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/latinotype/sanchez/
- 49 http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/latinotype/sanchez/
- 50 http://www.ffdingbatsfont.com/erler/index.html
- 51 http://www.ffdingbatsfont.com/erler/index.html
- 52 http://www.entypo.com/
- 53 http://www.entypo.com/
- 54 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Great+Vibes
- 55 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Great+Vibes
- 56 http://files.korkork.com/index.php?/fonts/arvo/
- 57 http://files.korkork.com/index.php?/fonts/arvo/
- 58 http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/typedepot/banda/
- 59 http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/typedepot/banda/
- 60 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=edmondsans
- 61 http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=edmondsans
- 62 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/EB+Garamond
- 63 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/EB+Garamond
- 64 http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/EB+Garamond
- 65 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/noticia-text
- 66 http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/noticia-text
- 67 http://www.anamegda.com/Lusitana
- 68 http://www.anamegda.com/Lusitana
- 69 http://scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html
- 70 http://scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html
- 71 http://www.ndiscovered.com/index.php/exo-font-family
- 72 http://www.ndiscovered.com/index.php/exo-font-family
- 73 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Free-Typeface-NeoDeco/2919157
- 74 http://www.behance.net/gallery/Free-Typeface-NeoDeco/2919157
- 75 http://www.typeconnection.com/
- 76 http://www.typeconnection.com/
- 77 http://daneden.me/type/
- 78 http://www.typography.com/ask/recentTopic.php?rtID=92
- 79 http://daneden.me/type/
- 80 http://ilovetypography.com/2012/05/15/making-fonts-novel-typeface/
- 81 http://ilovetypography.com/2012/05/15/making-fonts-novel-typeface/
- 82 http://www.typographicposters.com/
- 83 http://www.typographicposters.com/
- 84 http://squaredsuperheroes.reneschiffer.de/
- 85 http://squaredsuperheroes.reneschiffer.de/
- 86 http://losttype.com/browse/
- 87 http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
- 88 http://www.google.com/webfonts
- 89 /tag/typography/