Frank is a responsive WordPress theme. It uses a modified version of the Foundation1 grid system. It also offers the unique feature of a modular home page layout system. The theme comes with various different layouts for your home page (1 column, 2 column, 3 column, 4 column, etc.) that can be mixed and matched. This allows for a home page with different content sections in different layouts.
With intense use of HTML5 and CSS3 Frank cuts down on complexity and improves performance. Frank works decently on Internet Explorer 8+. However, at the moment no guarantees are given for any earlier IE versions. It is packaged with the parent theme (in the
frank directory) as well as the child theme (in the
somerandomdude directory) which I use for my own site3. By using Frank, my home page weighs in at 43.65KB over 6 requests (Google Analytics accounts for ~15.5KB and 3 requests). In addition, 33.78% of global page loads completely within 1 second or less (55.75% in the US). On Google Page Speed4, the demo5 gets an overall PageSpeed Score of 97 (out of 100).
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- What To Consider When Choosing WordPress Themes6
- Are You Getting Cheated When Buying A WordPress Theme?7
- How To Get The Most Out Of A Premium WordPress Theme8
- A Guide To The Options For WordPress Theme Development9
Also, Frank uses a subset of Foundation to provide a responsive layout for desktops, tablets and phones. Add this to the theme’s small footprint and you have a mobile-optimized blog. The theme is 100% open source and developer-friendly. The parent theme (
/frank) is released under the GNU Public License10 and the child theme (
/somerandomdude) directory is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License11.
Demo and Downloads Link
- live demo14
- large preview15 (.png)
- check the theme on Github16
- download the theme for free17 (.zip, 349 Kb)
Why Did I Make Frank? Link
There are three reasons:
The first reason was to make good on a promise. I made the commitment that everything I created on my site would be open source. That is how Iconic18 was born, and this is how Frank came to be. My site is now 100% open source.
The second reason is that I believe that speed is an essential part of user experience. I wanted my site to reflect that belief.
The last reason is that WordPress has an unfair reputation of being a slow, resource-hungry blogging platform. Make no mistake, WordPress can be slow, but that is often due to poor use. I wanted to make a WordPress theme to break the unfair stereotype.
Frank shines for sites that need a no-frills blog that focuses on the reading experience. Frank is not for everybody, but it shines when used in its sweet spot.
Future Development Link
Frank is ready to be used, but there is still a long way to go until it’s in tip-top shape. This theme can and will get faster. Here’s what is currently being worked on.
- Greater typographic and visual polish
- Increased CSS optimization
- HTML cleanups and structural improvements
- Improved organization and structure of SCSS files
- Developer-friendly build tools
- Guides for optimal use of Frank
- 1 http://foundation.zurb.com/
- 2 http://somerandomdude.com
- 3 http://somerandomdude.com
- 4 https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights#url=http_3A_2F_2Fsomerandomdude.com_2F&mobile=false
- 5 http://somerandomdude.com
- 6 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/12/what-to-consider-when-choosing-a-wordpress-theme/
- 7 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/11/ripped-off-buying-wordpress-themes/
- 8 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/02/get-the-best-out-of-premium-wordpress-theme/
- 9 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/03/a-guide-to-wordpress-theme-options/
- 10 http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
- 11 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
- 12 http://somerandomdude.com
- 13 http://somerandomdude.com
- 14 http://somerandomdude.com
- 15 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/large-preview.png
- 16 https://github.com/somerandomdude/Frank
- 17 https://github.com/somerandomdude/Frank/archive/master.zip
- 18 http://somerandomdude.com/work/iconic
- 19 http://somerandomdude.com/2012/08/12/svg-css-injection/
- 20 https://twitter.com/felixhgren
- 21 https://twitter.com/jchristopher
- 22 https://twitter.com/onestepcreative