The brand new Smashing Mobile Book1 was officially launched a couple of weeks ago and since then we’ve been receiving remarkable feedback and overwhelming, positive book reviews. You thought it’s done now? Well, it’s not! We now have an exclusive bonus ready for you: The Mobile Book Addendum2 is now available for free download.
The Mobile Book Addendum is free of charge to anyone who orders the printed Mobile Book. Of course, if you have already ordered the Mobile Book, the Addendum has been added to you your .zip file in your personal dashboard4 — available in PDF, ePUB and Kindle. Also, keep in mind that the digital version of the Mobile Book and Addendum are included in the Smashing eBook Library5 — our annual subscription with 70% discount on all Smashing eBooks.
The Mobile Book (+Addendum!) Link
The future is mobile. As more and more people are turning to mobile devices, designers and developers are facing new challenges and opportunities. Web design has to adapt. But before it can do so, we have to do our homework — understand the new medium and discover the right techniques and tools to design for it. Our brand new Mobile Book serves exactly this purpose.
These extra chapters of the Mobile Book provide insights into design and development for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, as well as introduce techniques for advanced HTML5 Web applications and explore UX patterns on these platforms.
Table of Contents (Addendum) Link
Rian van der Merwe
|Mobile Design Patterns|
The key to using design patterns is not to get caught up in copying the exact implementations, but instead to witness the underlying reasons for why something works, and then adopt a unique design situation with authenticity, grace and vision. This chapter attempts to collect strategic patterns that reflect the underlying customer experience trends unique to the mobile environment, and use examples of particular implementations that call out important existing or emerging trends.
Chapter keywords: faceted refinement, parallel search, zero results recovery, tap-ahead, engagement, rollaway dashboard menu, tabbed views, reading and pagination.
|Nathan Barry||Getting Started With Design And Development For iOS|
As an experienced designer of iPhone and iPad applications, Nathan Barry takes us on a detailed journey through the iOS platform. Starting with general culture and language of iOS, he moves to iOS design patterns, technical implementations in Xcode, the design and development process for new iOS apps as well as pricing, marketing and submission guidelines. Each section is accompanied with examples, suggestions and best practices.
Chapter keywords: mobile, user experience, native applications, native as culture, interaction design principles, responsive Web design.
|Arturo Toledo||Designing Windows Phone Apps|
With its new Windows design language, Microsoft created an entirely new design methodology focused on the content of applications, relying more on type and less on graphics. In this chapter, Arturo Toledo, former UX designer at Microsoft, explains the new design concepts such Hub & Spoke model, Panoramas, Pivots and Pages, reviews Windows Phone design grid and design guidelines, provides UX advice on when what model is most appropriate and presents a workflow from the ideation phase to the design and development phase of a Windows phone app.
Chapter keywords: sketching, flow, hub & spoke model, panoramas, pages, list views, design grid, app bar, animations, branding.
Table of Contents: The Mobile Book (Printed) Link
|Jeremy Keith has been around on the Web for a while and saw the emerging mobile medium from its earliest days. With his preface for the Mobile Book, Jeremy introduces us to this new facet of the Web and the new possibilities and challenges that the Mobile industry produces as a relatively young medium.|
|Peter-Paul Koch||What’s Going on in Mobile?|
|This chapter provides a general overview of what’s going in the mobile industry today, who are its main players and how they influence each other. From a technical perspective, the chapter reviews the peculiarities of mobile networks and platforms, existing mobile browsers and guidelines for testing websites on mobile. You’ll understand the mobile market, how it works, what it involves and how it affects our daily work.
Chapter keywords: mobile value chain, operators, device vendors, fragmentation, Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, OS vendors, proxy browsers, open device lab, mobile network.
|Stephanie Rieger||The Future of Mobile|
|This chapter provides a glimpse of where the future of mobile might lead, and what technologies will lead us there. These include new low-power computer chips, new display technologies, new APIs and the growing penetration of near field communication (NFC). But more important than the technologies themselves is how they will need to work together, enabling new and exciting ways to do business, to connect with friends and family and to interact with the world around us.
Chapter keywords: connected devices, TVs, consumer customization, display technologies, RFID, NFC, Device APIs.
|Trent Walton||Responsive Design Strategy|
|The main components of Responsive Web Design(RWD) — flexible grids, flexible images, and media queries — are just the tip of the iceberg. And with the ever-increasing number of devices flooding the market, RWD is the most effective way to address them all at once. This chapter by Trent Walton features strategies, techniques and design workflow tips on building effective and bulletproof responsive designs.
Chapter keywords: image aspect ratios, resolution independence, breakpoints organization, vertical and em-based media queries, content choreography, image hierarchy, fluid type.
|Brad Frost||Responsive Design Patterns|
|As Responsive Design continues to evolve, we’re confronted with difficult problems about how to create adaptive interfaces that look and function beautifully across many screen sizes and environments. E.g. how do we handle navigation that’s four levels deep? This chapter features emerging responsive design patterns and explains how to use them meaningfully in your projects. Brad Frost provides useful tips and expert advice on various design elements covering everything from complex navigation to advanced data tables.
Chapter keywords: style guides, layout, navigation, conditional loading, progressive disclosure, background images, icons, maps, type, carousels, accordions, forms, tables.
|Dave Olsen||Optimization For Mobile|
|Although Responsive design per se has provided a great fundamental concept for designing mobile-optimized websites, the core ideas that make up these concepts pre-date the mobile revolution. In this chapter, Dave Olsen reviews what it takes to optimize mobile experiences in terms of performance. How do we keep responsive websites lightweight? What do we need to know about caching, lazy loading, latency? How can we start using RESS? Device detection or feature detection? Also, how do we develop and test our websites for performance? This chapter answers all these questions and more.
Chapter keywords: mobile performance, latency, localStorage, lazy loading, Data URI scheme, JS frameworks, RESS, browser detection, feature detection.
|Dennis Kardys||Hands On Design for Mobile (UX Perspective)|
|Mobile requires us to rethink the way we create, develop and build experiences for our users. In this chapter, you’ll look at some of the more glaring pitfalls to conventional processes, specifically as they pertain to how we design—and how we communicate design—for an increasingly mobile-accessed Web. You’ll learn about implementing and selling processes that support a realistic understanding of what it means to design with mobile in mind.
Chapter keywords: psychology, contextual interviews, collaborative design workshops, design studio methods, sketching, wireframing, convergent prototyping.
|Josh Clark||Designing With Gestures and Touch|
|Among the many new opportunities of the mobile medium are the capabilities of mobile devices. One of the major interaction changes, however, involves gestures and touch. In this chapter, Josh Clark explains how we can use them to improve the mobile user experience and provides concrete examples of implementations in real-life applications.|
Sample and Technical Details
- Download the free sample (PDF, 8.0 Mb)8
The full chapter “Responsive Design Strategy” by Trent Walton.
- 336 pages, 16.5 × 24.0 cm (6.5 × 9.5 inches).
Real quality hard cover, with stitched binding and a ribbon page marker.
- Delivery only via airmail from Berlin, Germany.
$5 worldwide shipping (check worldwide delivery times9).
- Get your Mobile Book now!10
Also available as an eBook (PDF, EPUB, Kindle).
60 Quality eBooks For €89/$99 A Year Link
Web design is an ever-changing industry, so if you want to learn how to get better at your craft and stay up-to-date with what’s going on, learn what techniques are emerging and what practices are changing, the Smashing Library is just what you are looking for.
The Smashing eBook Library grants you immediate unlimited access to all Smashing eBooks, released in the past and in the future, including digital versions of all of our printed books! The annual fee of €89/$99 covers the immediate access to the complete Smashing library — we think that’s a reasonable price for a total of 60 quality eBooks during the first year. Subscribe today!16
Snapshots Of The Mobile Book Link
Some of our Smashing readers and fans have already received their printed copies of The Mobile Book17 and have kindly sent us their pictures to share their joy. Thanks to everyone who has sent us a snapshot of their copies of the Smashing Mobile Book! Please feel free to send more pictures to ideas [at] smashing-media [dot] com!
Thank You For Your Support! Link
Thank you for your support, everybody—we truly appreciate it. And we hope that you’ll love the Mobile Book just as much as we do!
- 1 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/the-mobile-book-deluxe-bundle.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 2 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/downloadable/customer/products/
- 3 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/the-mobile-book-deluxe-bundle.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 4 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/downloadable/customer/products/
- 5 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-library-complete.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 6 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/the-mobile-book-addendum.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book%20Addendum
- 7 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/the-mobile-book-deluxe-bundle.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 8 http://provide.smashingmagazine.com/the-mobile-book-free-sample.pdf
- 9 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/delivery-times/
- 10 http://www.the-mobile-book.com/
- 11 /wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mbook5.jpg
- 12 /wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mbook5.jpg
- 13 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-library-complete.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 14 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-library-complete.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 15 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-library-complete.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 16 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-library-complete.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
- 17 http://www.the-mobile-book.com/
- 18 http://instagram.com/p/Uoo45yxAVM
- 19 http://instagram.com/p/Uoo45yxAVM
- 20 https://twitter.com/billymoat/status/290857343191760897/photo/1
- 21 https://twitter.com/billymoat/status/290857343191760897/photo/1
- 22 https://twitter.com/jordanmoore/status/288999170705080320
- 23 https://twitter.com/jordanmoore/status/288999170705080320
- 24 https://twitter.com/magnifydk/status/295811351421538304
- 25 https://twitter.com/magnifydk/status/295811351421538304
- 26 https://twitter.com/pottgruen/status/288538940074516480
- 27 https://twitter.com/pottgruen/status/288538940074516480
- 28 https://twitter.com/roessli/status/282107419142787072
- 29 https://twitter.com/roessli/status/282107419142787072
- 30 https://twitter.com/jasongittings/status/284438822022955008
- 31 https://twitter.com/jasongittings/status/284438822022955008
- 32 https://twitter.com/petehotchkiss/status/281740219236110336
- 33 https://twitter.com/petehotchkiss/status/281740219236110336
- 34 https://twitter.com/chrbutler/status/292296058770436097
- 35 https://twitter.com/chrbutler/status/292296058770436097
- 36 http://www.the-mobile-book.com
- 37 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/the-mobile-book-deluxe-bundle.html?pk_campaign=Addendum%20Post%2022%2F01%2F12&pk_kwd=Mobile%20Book
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.