With a phone or tablet in your pocket, you get instant access to a huge variety of podcasts — both audio and video. They keep you entertained while you’re commuting or on a long plane ride, and they provide useful information that you can integrate into your daily routine as a Web professional.
Keeping track of the ever-changing selection and finding quality podcasts that feature exactly the topics you are interested in can be painful. That’s where we come in. We have put together an extensive list that includes your soon-to-be favorite podcast — whether you are a developer looking for coding advice, a designer seeking inspiration or a startup businessperson. So, tune in, stay informed and learn new skills!
On The Grid1
On the Grid is a design podcast featuring Matt McInerney, Andy Mangold and Dan Auer. Every week, the three call in for a conversation about design’s effect on the world and the world’s effect on design.
Let’s Make Mistakes9
Mike and Leah talk about design, with a lot of tangents along the way. They are dedicated to bringing you the best podcasts about design and culture from an alternative point of view. They are committed to excellence through argument.
The East Wing11
The East Wing’s host, Tim Smith, and his expert guests talk about design, user experience, problem-solving and the keys to creating products with value. A new episode is published every Wednesday.
User Interface Engineering17
User Interface Engineering specializes in website usabilty and user experience. On its podcast, called SpoolCast, experts share their thoughts on designing with the user in mind.
User Experience Podcast19
Sharing its voice since 2006, the User Experience Podcast features a wide range of interviewees and commentary on everything UX. Features include developers talking about their development process and information on how to conduct interviews for user research.
The WebGL Podcast
This one is a podcast about WebGL. It covers the latest news and libraries, as well as tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your WebGL project. It is hosted by Paul Lewis who currently works on Google Chrome’s Developer Relations team.
HNpod is currently hosted by Michael Mahemoff, having been started by Alex Muir. In half an hour, it discusses the week’s top stories on Hacker News.
Ruby on Rails Link
Produced by Ryan Bates, RailsCasts targets the intermediate Rails developer, but beginners and experts will get something out of the tips and tricks as well. A free episode is released every other week.
Businesses and Startups Link
Treehouse Show Archives53
Teaching technology to the world is the mission of Treehouse, hosted by Nick Pettit and Jason Seifer. The team offers a dose of Web design and development news every Tuesday.
Paul Boag, creator of the longest-running podcast about Web design, shares tips and news for designers, developers and website owners. His daily audio tips provide some quick inspiration for people on the go.
5by5 | The Web Ahead71
The Web Ahead is a weekly podcast that covers changing technologies and the future of the Web. Topics include HTML5, mobile responsive design, iOS and Android. Hosted by Jen Simmons, the episodes are broadcast live but can be watched later.
5by5 | The Big Web Show73
The Big Web Show covers an interesting mix of everything Web. Topics include Web publishing, Web technology, art direction, content strategy, typography and more. Each week, host Jeffrey Zeldman welcomes a new guest. The show is broadcast live and can be watched later.
Techzing is a chat show hosted by Justin Vincent and Jason Roberts. Two episodes are released each week. The “Midweek Interview Show” features interviews with interesting people. In the “Weekend Discussion Show,” the duo talks about startups, tech in general and other topics.
5by5 | Build and Analyze77
Build and Analyze is a podcast hosted by Marco Arment and Dan Benjamin. Every week brings the latest news and discussion on mobile Web development, iPhone, iPad and iOS. You can watch the show either live or recorded.
The Gently Mad Podcast83
The Gently Mad is an interview show about what drives us as creators and what connects us as people. Each week, the hosts explore the stories, experiences and insights of awesome people who make awesome things.
Download This Show97
Download This Show is your weekly point of access to the latest developments in social media, consumer electronics, digital politics, hacktivism and more, brought to you by ABC Radio National.
5by5 | The Critical Path99
Critical Path is a talk show that contemplates the causality of success and failure in mobile computing. Using Apple as a lens to look at both telecom and traditional computing markets, the hosts try to understand what it means to be great.
5by5 | High Density101
High Density is an interview show that brings together the sharpest minds in the world to discuss how markets and business models are in a state of perpetual disruption. All signal, no noise, and the merciless pursuit of the truth.
Debug focuses on development, especially for iPhone, iPad, Mac and games, but it covers other platforms as well. Whereas Iterate (covered below) is all about designers, Debug is for developers.
Type is speech on paper. Typeradio is speech on type. It is a micro-FM broadcast, an MP3 Internet radio stream and a podcast station. Typeradio broadcasts questions, answers, performances, events and talks online and on stage.
Refactor.tv is a weekly podcast that discusses Web and mobile app development, open-source software and beer. Brought to you from San Francisco by two independent software developers, Sam Soffes and Steve Derico.
Just like a regular book club but for Web design books. Each month, the club selects a book, reads it as a group and meets online at a set time of the day. The author of the book then takes questions, some sent in beforehand and some asked live by listeners.
Until Next Time Link
We hope you enjoy these podcasts and that there’s some or many in your field of interest. Spice up your travel time or make the drive to work more productive. Let yourself be entertained by experts in our industry, and gain not only new skills but also insights from their lives.
Tell us which is your favorite and why? Of course, you’re welcome to share other inspirational podcasts with the community — simply mention them in the comments section below!
- 1 http://onthegrid.co
- 2 http://onthegrid.co
- 3 http://unmatchedstyle.com/category/draft
- 4 http://unmatchedstyle.com/category/draft
- 5 http://www.thefoxisblack.com/
- 6 http://www.thefoxisblack.com/
- 7 http://designchat.info/
- 8 http://designchat.info/
- 9 http://www.muleradio.net/mistakes/
- 10 http://www.muleradio.net/mistakes/
- 11 http://theeastwing.net/
- 12 http://theeastwing.net/
- 13 http://designpro.co/
- 14 http://designpro.co/
- 15 http://designfestival.com/category/podcast/
- 16 http://designfestival.com/category/podcast/
- 17 http://www.uie.com/brainsparks/topics/podcasts/
- 18 http://www.uie.com/brainsparks/topics/podcasts/
- 19 http://infodesign.com.au/uxpod/
- 20 http://infodesign.com.au/uxpod/
- 21 http://creativecodingpodcast.com/
- 22 http://creativecodingpodcast.com/
- 23 http://basementcoders.com/category/podcast
- 24 http://basementcoders.com/category/podcast
- 25 http://ruby5.envylabs.com/
- 26 http://ruby5.envylabs.com/
- 27 http://railscasts.com/
- 28 http://railscasts.com/
- 29 http://rubyrogues.com/
- 30 http://rubyrogues.com/
- 35 http://nodeup.com/
- 36 http://nodeup.com/
- 37 http://yayquery.com/
- 38 http://yayquery.com/
- 39 http://voicesoftheelephpant.com/
- 40 http://voicesoftheelephpant.com/
- 41 http://theindustry.cc/category/podcast/
- 42 http://theindustry.cc/category/podcast/
- 43 http://www.startupsfortherestofus.com/
- 44 http://www.startupsfortherestofus.com/
- 45 http://5by5.tv/founderstalk
- 46 http://5by5.tv/founderstalk
- 47 http://www.kalzumeus.com/blog/
- 48 http://www.kalzumeus.com/blog/
- 49 http://unmatchedstyle.com/category/bizcraft
- 50 http://unmatchedstyle.com/category/bizcraft
- 51 http://unfinished.bz/
- 52 http://unfinished.bz/
- 53 http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/category/treehouse-show-2
- 54 http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/category/treehouse-show-2
- 55 http://fsm.bdconf.com/podcast
- 56 http://fsm.bdconf.com/podcast
- 57 http://shoptalkshow.com/
- 58 http://shoptalkshow.com/
- 59 http://thechangelog.com/
- 60 http://thechangelog.com/
- 61 http://boagworld.com/podcast-archive/
- 62 http://boagworld.com/podcast-archive/
- 63 http://pleaseadvise.fm/
- 64 http://pleaseadvise.fm/
- 65 http://thisdeveloperslife.com/
- 66 http://thisdeveloperslife.com/
- 67 http://designchat.info/
- 68 http://designchat.info/
- 69 http://www.webdevradio.com/
- 70 http://www.webdevradio.com/
- 71 http://5by5.tv/webahead
- 72 http://5by5.tv/webahead
- 73 http://5by5.tv/bigwebshow
- 74 http://basementcoders.com/2012/10/episode-54-interview-with-jeff-atwood/
- 75 http://techzinglive.com/
- 76 http://techzinglive.com/
- 77 http://5by5.tv/buildanalyze
- 78 http://5by5.tv/buildanalyze
- 79 http://younggunsshow.com/
- 80 http://younggunsshow.com/
- 81 http://www.happymondaypodcast.com/
- 82 http://www.happymondaypodcast.com/
- 83 http://thegentlymad.com/
- 84 http://thegentlymad.com/
- 85 http://businessologyshow.biz/wordpress/
- 86 http://businessologyshow.biz/wordpress/
- 87 http://upfrontpodcast.com/
- 88 http://upfrontpodcast.com/
- 89 http://nonbreakingspace.tv/
- 90 http://nonbreakingspace.tv/
- 91 http://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-stack/
- 92 http://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-stack/
- 93 https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/design-matters-debbie-millman/id328074695
- 94 https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/design-matters-debbie-millman/id328074695
- 95 http://www.youtube.com/user/shanselman/
- 96 http://www.youtube.com/user/shanselman/
- 97 http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/downloadthisshow/
- 98 http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/downloadthisshow/
- 99 http://5by5.tv/criticalpath
- 100 http://5by5.tv/criticalpath
- 101 http://5by5.tv/hd
- 102 http://5by5.tv/hd
- 103 http://www.imore.com/category/debug
- 104 http://www.imore.com/category/debug
- 105 http://bjango.com/articles/iterate/
- 106 http://bjango.com/articles/iterate/
- 107 http://www.typeradio.org/
- 108 http://www.typeradio.org/
- 109 http://thisweekin.com/thisweekin-web/
- 110 http://thisweekin.com/thisweekin-web/
- 111 http://refactor.tv/
- 112 http://refactor.tv/
- 113 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwJ-EDiZoU
- 114 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwJ-EDiZoU
- 115 http://unmatchedstyle.com/category/book-club
- 116 http://unmatchedstyle.com/category/book-club
- 117 /2008/05/14/useful-podcasts-for-designers-and-developers/
Hold on tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf Oxford, on March 15—16, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.