Good developers are always looking for ways to be faster and to automate their workflows. Today, we present a series of workflows in Alfred that will boost your productivity and rock your world.
What Is Alfred? Link
For those who don’t know, Alfred1 is an award-winning Mac OS X app that saves time when you search for files online or on your machine. The new version 2 brings a series of improvements and, with the Powerpack2, enables you to create your own workflows.
Below you’ll find a curated list of workflows that will change the way you work.
Open With Sublime Text Link
One of my favorite features in Alfred is its powerful file and folder search capability. What if we take advantage of this to open files and folders in our favorite code editor — say, Sublime Text 33?
Can I Use… Workflow Link
Dash Workflow Link
No one knows everything about a given programming language or framework. We occasionally need to check how to use a particular method. Recently, I found an amazing app, Dash14, that looks up documentation for different APIs locally, no Internet connection needed. With this workflow, you can search Dash by filtering the keyword for each language. Note that Dash is a free external application, so make sure to download it15 before using this workflow.
- Dash Workflow16, developed by @willfarrell52271711
Terminal Finder Link
Some operations we prefer to do in the terminal, others in Finder. This workflow switches between them smoothly. Open the current Finder window in Terminal or iTerm, and vice versa.
Package Managers Workflow Link
Reusing code is an important part of software development, and these days we have a lot of solutions to distribute our code and to search for third-party packages. Need a Node.js module? Need a Grunt task? With this workflow, you can look up plugins and components for your favorite package managers in one place, quickly.
- Package Managers Workflow26, developed by @willfarrell52271711
Stop opening Photoshop every time you want to convert a color format. Convert HEX, RGB and HSL colors easily with this workflow.
Jenkins Workflow Link
Unit testing is great, but running a test manually every time you change a line of code is crazy. To get a more complete picture of code quality, we need to run more tests, or at least automate the ones that we already run. That’s why continuous integration systems are so important. With this workflow, you can list Jenkins34 jobs and see their status.
Open in FileZilla Link
FTP is still the most popular way to transfer files to a Web server. Here’s a workflow to help you connect through FileZilla39. Note that FileZilla is a free external application, so make sure to download it40 before using this workflow.
Domainr Workflow Link
Encode / Decode Link
Occasionally, we need to convert UTF-8 characters into HTML entities, or decode a URL. No need to waste time with those little things anymore. Transform query strings in base64, HTML, URL and UTF-8 with Encode / Decode.
Font Awesome Workflow Link
Font icons are great. Just type something like
<i class="my-icon-name"></i>, and there you have it. The problem is, we keep forgetting the exact class name of the icon we want, so we have to check for it in the documentation. Not anymore. Now we can search through Font Awesome55’s icon set with this workflow.
Source Tree Workflow Link
Some people prefer the terminal for Git commands, while others prefer a GUI. If you’re in the latter group, then the Source Tree60 workflow will help you list, search and open Git repositories. Note that Source Tree is a free external application, so make sure to download it61 before using this workflow.
GitHub Workflow Link
StackOverflow Workflow Link
TimeZones Workflow Link
Nowadays, most of us work with teams distributed across the world. I try not to bother my coworkers outside of working hours; so, before pinging them, I always check the time in their country. This workflow is just perfect for that. Get a list of the current time in various cities around the world instantly.
VirtualBox Control Link
Unfortunately, cross-browser compatibility is still a problem for developers. There’s no escaping it — you need to test that your website runs fine in different browsers and on different operation systems. One popular way to do this is to use a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox84, that simulates other operating systems. Note that VirtualBox is a free external application, so make sure to download it85 before using this workflow.
Create Your Own! Link
All of these workflows are awesome and will be pretty useful for a lot of people. But each one of us works in a different way; so, go ahead create your own workflow. It’s pretty simple. To encourage you, let’s see how to create a workflow to automate searches on Smashing Magazine in less than 10 seconds.
Want More? Link
The End? Link
There you have it! A collection of great tricks to automate your work. Hopefully, some will speed up your workflow. Maybe they will even inspire you to share some of your hidden secrets of productivity.
If your favorite workflow isn’t on this list, please share it with us in the comments section below. Have any of the above changed your life? If so, let us know how!
(al, il, ea)
- 1 http://www.alfredapp.com/
- 2 http://www.alfredapp.com/powerpack/
- 3 http://www.sublimetext.com/3
- 4 https://github.com/franzheidl/alfred-workflows/tree/master/open-with-sublime-text
- 5 https://github.com/franzheidl/
- 6 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/sublime-text/sublime-text.alfredworkflow
- 7 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/wiki/Extras#code-editors
- 8 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-subl-mini.png
- 9 http://caniuse.com
- 10 https://github.com/willfarrell/alfred-caniuse-workflow
- 11 https://github.com/willfarrell/
- 12 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/caniuse/caniuse.alfredworkflow
- 13 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-caniuse-mini.png
- 14 http://kapeli.com/dash
- 15 http://kapeli.com/dash
- 16 https://github.com/willfarrell/alfred-dash-workflow
- 17 https://github.com/willfarrell/
- 18 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/dash/dash.alfredworkflow
- 19 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-dash-bs-mini.png
- 20 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-dash-js-mini.png
- 21 https://github.com/LeEnno/alfred-terminalfinder
- 22 https://github.com/LeEnno/
- 23 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/terminal-finder/terminal-finder.alfredworkflow
- 24 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-fi-mini.png
- 25 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-tf-mini.png
- 26 https://github.com/willfarrell/alfred-pkgman-workflow
- 27 https://github.com/willfarrell/
- 28 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/package-managers/package-managers.alfredworkflow
- 29 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-pkg-bower-mini.png
- 30 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-pkg-grunt-mini.png
- 31 https://github.com/TylerEich/
- 32 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/colors/colors.alfredworkflow
- 33 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-colors-mini.png
- 34 http://jenkins-ci.org/
- 35 https://github.com/jeroenseegers/alfred-jenkins-workflow
- 36 https://github.com/jeroenseegers/
- 37 https://github.com/jeroenseegers/alfred-jenkins-workflow/raw/911b94ee0283f9d83beb2e3137901ecd900a778c/Jenkins.alfredworkflow
- 38 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-jenkins-mini.png
- 39 https://filezilla-project.org/
- 40 https://filezilla-project.org/
- 41 https://github.com/jeffmagill/alfred-open-in-filezilla
- 42 https://github.com/jeffmagill/
- 43 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/filezilla/filezilla.alfredworkflow
- 44 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/wiki/Extras#ftp
- 45 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-fz-mini.png
- 46 https://domai.nr/
- 47 https://github.com/dingyi/Alfred-Workflows/tree/master/Domainr
- 48 https://github.com/dingyi/
- 49 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/domainr/domainr.alfredworkflow
- 50 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-domain-mini.png
- 51 https://github.com/willfarrell/alfred-encode-decode-workflow
- 52 https://github.com/willfarrell/
- 53 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/encode-decode/encode-decode.alfredworkflow
- 54 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/687474703a2f2f662e636c2e6c792f6974656d732f324a336d3147314e34363035304930453077336e2f616c667265642d656e636f64652e706e67-mini.png
- 55 http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/
- 56 https://github.com/ruedap/alfred2-font-awesome-workflow
- 57 https://github.com/ruedap/
- 58 https://github.com/ruedap/alfred2-font-awesome-workflow/raw/9fdf87f5177d4979ca2422a49ca3d2ab48a94d8b/Font-Awesome.alfredworkflow
- 59 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-fonta-mini.png
- 60 http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/
- 61 http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/
- 62 https://github.com/zhaocai/alfred2-sourcetree-workflow
- 63 https://github.com/zhaocai/
- 64 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/source-tree/source-tree.alfredworkflow
- 65 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/wiki/Extras#git-client
- 66 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-st1-mini1.png
- 67 http://github.com
- 68 http://github.com
- 69 https://github.com/gharlan/alfred-github-workflow
- 70 https://github.com/gharlan/
- 71 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/github/github.alfredworkflow
- 72 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-gh-1-mini.png
- 73 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-gh-2-mini.png
- 74 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-gh-3-mini.png
- 75 http://stackoverflow.com
- 76 https://github.com/xhinking/Alfred
- 77 https://github.com/xhinking/
- 78 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/stack-overflow/stack-overflow.alfredworkflow
- 79 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-st-mini.png
- 80 http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/491-timezones-a-world-clock-script-filter-updated-to-v161/
- 81 http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/491-timezones-a-world-clock-script-filter-updated-to-v161/
- 82 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/raw/v1.7.9/time-zones/time-zones.alfredworkflow
- 83 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-tz-mini.png
- 84 https://www.virtualbox.org/
- 85 https://www.virtualbox.org/
- 86 https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/tree/master/AlfredApp_2.x/VirtualBox-Control
- 87 https://github.com/aiyodk
- 88 https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/raw/e4bd4bbbd5c7049da43bd161e27915cb227a1113/AlfredApp_2.x/VirtualBox-Control/VirtualBox-Control.alfredworkflow
- 89 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/wiki/Extras#virtual-machines
- 90 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-vb-1-mini.png
- 91 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/alfred-vb-2-mini.png
- 92 https://github.com/zenorocha/alfred-workflows/
- 93 http://www.alfredforum.com/forum/3-share-your-workflows/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.