By now, you might actually know how it works. The good ol’ Smashing Mysteries: the door that would never open1 and the rain that would never stop2. Well, the Mystery continues! To celebrate the launch of Paul Boag’s Digital Adaptation book, we’ve prepared a new riddle, and this time it’s a bit different and a bit easier.
How does it work? Below you’ll find three animated GIFs that contain a hidden message. Each GIF contains a few scattered letters (all uppercase) that you can use to build words. Once you put the words from all the GIFs together, you will be able to create a sentence. Please notice that no letters should be left unused. Once you’ve resolved the mystery, please tweet the full sentence
@smashingmag using the hashtag
Are you ready? Action! Link
Watch out for the clues in the descriptions under each animation. Remember: the key is to build one meaningful sentence out of the words scattered all across the GIFs.
What Can You Win? Link
Among the first readers who tweet the sentence with the hashtag
#smashing, we’ll raffle a quite extraordinary, smashing prize (and a couple of other Smashing extras):
- a roundtrip flight to Freiburg, Germany,
- full accommodation in a fancy hotel,
- a ticket to the Smashing Conference Freiburg 20146,
- full access to the Smashing eBook Library,7
- a signed edition of the Smashing Book #48,
- a signed edition of the Digital Adaptation9,
- your very own Smashing caricature, designed just for you.
Please notice that to avoid spoilers, comments are closed for this post.
We will announce the winners late Sunday, 30th of March, 23:59 CET. The Mystery has been resolved10 and the winners have been announced (warning: spoilers!).
Alright. Let’s get to work. Or have you already figured it out? ;-)
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/the-smashing-book-mystery-is-resolved-gifs-crazy-people-all-that-malarkey/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/the-mystery-resolved-the-rain-that-never-stops-frightened-cats-cake-is-a-lie/
- 3 http://provide.smashingmagazine.com/mystery-digital-adaptation/change.gif
- 4 http://provide.smashingmagazine.com/mystery-digital-adaptation/convincing.gif
- 5 http://provide.smashingmagazine.com/mystery-digital-adaptation/difference.gif
- 6 http://lanyrd.com/2014/smashingconf-freiburg/
- 7 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-library-complete.html
- 8 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-book-4-new-perspectives-on-web-design.html?pk_campaign=front-page-shop
- 9 https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/digital-adaptation-book.html
- 10 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/03/31/the-mystery-is-resolved-a-story-of-invisible-letters-and-shady-characters/
Hold on, Tiger! Thank you for reading the article. Did you know that we also publish printed books and run friendly conferences – crafted for pros like you? Like SmashingConf New York, on June 14–15, with smart design patterns and front-end techniques.