Typography can make all the difference. However, if your project has to get along on a very limited budget and you need to rely on free fonts, good ones are never easy to find. Luckily, we stumbled across some real gems lately. The following fonts can be downloaded for free and are bound to give your project — both private and/or commercial — a classy finishing touch.
Butler2 is a serif typeface inspired by a mix between Dala Floda and the Bodoni family. The idea behind it was to bring a bit of modernism to serif fonts by working on the curves of the classical serif fonts and adding an extra stencil family. The result is a font family of 334 characters, seven regular weights and seven stencil weights, text figures, ligatures, fractions, and more. A variety of glyphs make it a good fit for many different languages. Butler works best for posters, very big titles and books. Free for personal and commercial use.
Inspired by the chapped logotype on a vintage bike, Moriston4 is a sans-serif typeface with unusually high contrast and full, round curves. While the bolder weights are full of character, the lighter ones do work great even in larger pieces of text. Moriston comes in six weights and supports over 200 languages and a variety of additional number styles. You can pay what you want — however, only for a personal license.
Born5 is named after one of Barcelona’s most picturesque districts. Just like the district, the typeface brings together the old and the new to create a symbiosis between tradition and modernity. Born includes 262 glyphs, among them ligatures and uppercase numerals. Free for personal and commercial projects.
Sensa7 is a handmade font family consisting of 21 fonts — a demo of two of them, Sensa Brush and Sensa Sans, is free. Sensa Brush has a squiggly, handlettered look to it, while Sensa Sans looks more sleek and minimalistic. Sensa fits almost any design project — web and screen projects just like advertising, packaging, editorial or branding projects.
Badhead9 is a fresh font, great for branding, greeting cards, logotypes or any design with a strong and elegant touch. It comes with 246 glyphs and alternate characters that you can access using Open Type savvy software such as Illustrator or InDesign. Free to use, also in commercial projects.
The Againts13 typeface was inspired by ink and tints hand-drawn brush. Alternative glyphs and ligatures make it easy to make a beautiful creative mess, e.g. for headlines or posters. Available as OpenType and TrueType.
Eau Sans Link
Back in 1992, Yamaoka Yasuhiro wanted to design a perfectly faceless typeface. The result is Eau Sans15. Eau Sans was later re-formatted with numeric characters in three variations: proportional, lining and old-style figures. The font is available in OpenType format.
Another free brush font is Kust17 by Ieva Mezule, a fashion designer and painter. Every letter has a unique structure with a distorted look which was created by drawing the letters on hard paper with a thick brush and using pure black ink. Even if you can’t think of a use for Kust right now, make sure to check it out nevertheless.
League Spartan Link
League Spartan18 is a bold, modern, geometric sans-serif strongly influenced by ATF’s classic Spartan family. The typeface comes with an extensive characterset of over 300 glyphs and a single strong weight. For both personal and commercial use.
The sans-serif typeface Quark20 comes in six weights. Two of them, light and bold, can be downloaded for free. It offers tabular and proportional lining, as well as fixed-width numerals, and, for multilingual support, a variety of latin accents.
Atlético22 is a sporty statement. There are six weights in total, including thin, ultralight, light, regular, medium and bold versions. The font is free to download after you have shared it via Facebook and can be used for non-commercial projects.
You’ve seen any other free high quality fonts lately? Let us know in the comments to this post!
- 1 https://www.behance.net/gallery/27753367/Butler-FREE-FONT
- 2 https://www.behance.net/gallery/27753367/Butler-FREE-FONT
- 3 http://moriston.losttype.com/
- 4 http://moriston.losttype.com/
- 5 http://www.carlosdetoro.com/born/
- 6 http://www.fontfabric.com/sensa/
- 7 http://www.fontfabric.com/sensa/
- 8 https://pixelbuddha.net/freebie/free-font-badhead-typeface
- 9 https://pixelbuddha.net/freebie/free-font-badhead-typeface
- 10 https://www.behance.net/gallery/24940077/Melma-Font
- 11 https://www.behance.net/gallery/24940077/Melma-Font
- 12 https://pixelbuddha.net/freebie/free-font-againts-typeface
- 13 https://pixelbuddha.net/freebie/free-font-againts-typeface
- 14 http://www.yoworks.com/eau/index.html
- 15 http://www.yoworks.com/eau/index.html
- 16 https://www.behance.net/gallery/33481677/KUST-Free-Brush-Font
- 17 https://www.behance.net/gallery/33481677/KUST-Free-Brush-Font
- 18 https://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/league-spartan
- 19 https://www.behance.net/gallery/Quark-(free-font)/6804015
- 20 https://www.behance.net/gallery/Quark-(free-font)/6804015
- 21 http://fonts.artill.de/
- 22 http://fonts.artill.de/