Editor’s Note: Some people simply have the magic touch for digging up design goodness. Today, we are proud to present the brilliant gems that Veerle Pieters1 has dug out, letting us explore a fresh breeze of photography, art, type, print as well as web design projects.
As designers, we have our good and bad days. Some days ideas come naturally. Other days we struggle or have moments where we are really stuck. We are in urgent need of inspiration. Let me help you get through these moments of pain and suffering. Let me nurture your creativity. Sit back, relax, and feed your appetite. Here’s your monthly dose.
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- Colorful Inspiration For Gray Days: Illustration And Photography2
- Beautiful Photoshop Illustrations By Artists Around The World3
- Inspiring Illustrator Artworks By Artists Around The World4
- Design Something Every Day!5
Ben Thouard is a photographer from the South of France, specialized in surf photography. The attraction for me in this shot is the smoothness of the curves and the beautiful variations of blue.
Illustration depicting the future of the classroom. Her skirt has such inspiring pattern. Feet, hands and legs aren’t easy to draw and here the elegance is done with perfection. Designed by Sam Chivers.
Great color choices and expressions is what I noticed instantly. Perfectly fitting for a children’s book. Designed by Vincent Mahé.
Malika Favre has such unmistakable style. Usually consisting of repeating lines & bright colors. The shadows are also very strong and achieved with minimal color use. Designed by Malika Favre.
I’ve always enjoyed the era of advertising where they still illustrated everything. What inspires me in here are the structure of the paper, the watercolor feel and the expressions on the faces. Designed by Leifpeng.
This one also has the water color palette in combination with ink. The hair is the masterpiece in this one. Love how the hair flows with the subtle shadows to show volume. This illustration looks so real it’s like a photo. Designed by Sofia Bonati.
Illustration for Facebook events. This one is for a picnic. It’s not a color palette I would come up with but it works very well in this case. Designed by Eight Hour Day.
Every little detail in this illustration perfectly shows how the ladies in Courchevel behave. It’s all in the details, her sunglasses, the way her hand and fingers are drawn. The dog is also adorable. Designed by Richard Zielenkiewicz.
That hair and beard combo are the center pieces that gives this poster its rock’n roll feel. I also really dig the variety of patterns within the torso. Designed by Steve Wolf.
The atmosphere is just right for water. The hay rolls are a nice touch. This limited color palette fits the brand. Designed by Tom Haugomat.
I always struggle with simplicity and this illustration is a great inspiration because the animals are so perfect. They only consist of a few lines and the rest is done by color.
L’apéritif Amer Picon by Sepo Pozzati Severo / 1928. Pretty amazing that such an old illustration still serves as great inspiration. Love how the feet/shoes are done and create the illusion of breaking. Genius.
“Stacked” is an approach to the large post-war housing estates in Berlin. On the surface they may look the same but when examined closer you’ll find a lot of variation. The receptiveness in this one works so well together. Designed by Malte Brandenburg.
Clever how the flamingos are wonderfully simplified. The six birds together are so well integrated and create a perfect geometry. Smart use of shapes and colors. Beautiful! Designed by Pavlov Visuals.
A wonderful color palette by Inma Lorente that invites you into the drawing. The sharper pencil lines are also working well together with the color pencils look.
I always love to see how someone translates a title into an illustration. In this case it triggers your imagination and makes you fantasize. Love how the books are connected. Designed by Max Reyes.
Nature photography is one of my favorites. Getting the colors just right is one of the hardest things in photography I think. In this instance it’s just perfect and even with the snow in the back it still gives a perfect balance between warm & cold tones. Found on George the Explorer59.
Everything that ticks off my boxes. Great color choices and geometry. I still mainly doodle in notebooks but this is another example that makes me want to try the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. The textures and colors look so real. Designed by Samy Halim.
Pur simplicity on first look, but if you examine closer you’ll find some amazing details. For example the different patterns of the roofs of the houses or all the beautiful details of his shoes. Be sure to check out the larger version to discover all of them. Found on Poolga66.
Original how the inside of the mouth is divided into 3 different color pieces to create the illusion of depth. Not your everyday color palette as well. Designed by Helbetico.
The layering of the trees is genius — super simple, yet effectively adding depth to the design. There much to discover also. Designed by Made by Radio.
Lovely vintage style and color palette. The subtle reflection on the water is beautifully done.
I really love the fantasy in this one, and how the lines in between the drawers of the archive wall go from dark to very light color. It creates this effect of perfect reflection. Designed by Davide Bonazzi.
The shapes of the people are just prefect. Creating this out of proportion differences is what makes this illustration so great, but also the subtle color palette and pattern details are very inspiring. Designed by Keith Negley.
One of those vistas that makes you feel like you are on top of the world. I especially like the color transitions between the mountains and the clouds.
I love badges. This one is very attractive and is transmitting emotions. Colours are also working very well together.
Great usage of lines, not easy to maintain balance when they are that heavy. Those pink accents are very well done. These extra bright touches result in a perfect color palette. Designed by Martín Azambuja.
One of the great classics! Great photography by Kristof Ramon combined with some smart graphic design. Beautiful tone of colors. Featured by Ronde van Vlaanderen.
Meat Balloon Link
A bit of humor in an illustration is almost always a winning combo. I could swear this was an illustration done by the Spanish <a href=”http://www.brosmind.98com”>
Brosmind brothers. A very similar illustration style.
The humor you also find in this illustration. I hadn’t seen it immediately but on closer inspection you’ll see it. Designed by Modi Shibuya.
Many little details create an inspiring illustration. There are quite a few in this one.
Created with the purpose to practice composition and color techniques. Great experiment with a very satisfying result. Perfect shadow and light effects too. Designed by Alex Pasquarella.
Legend Coppi cornering on cobbles on the way to victory in Paris-Roubaix, 1950. So well captured considering the technology that they didn’t have back then.
A perfect example of how to let go every detail and only remain the basic shapes. An illustration style you recognise from far. Very strong.
This speaks to me because of the very inspirational and smart use of lines, colors and textures.
Look at that eye of the roaster. Love it! That roaster looks very confident. The straight lines are in perfect proportion and adds to his tough attitude. Designed by Steve Wolf.
That light is pretty spectacular! Look at those perfect gradients in the sky and snow, and how the light falls on the roof o the cabin. Featured by UK FilmLab.
The expressions on the faces are so cleverly done with just minimal design. The dotted pattern is also a nice touch. Lots of fun details to look at, that adds to the atmosphere of suffering at the fitness. Designed by Rami Niemi.
A wonderful color palette. One of those editorial illustrations so well expressed. Love how small the little people look. Not easy. Designed by David Bonazzi.
Adorable Easter illustration. Inspiring organic feel. Designed by Barbara Dziadosz.
Five Thirty Eight Link
A piece on the process/data of making NFL players into madden game gods. One first sight you may think such a collage is easy to accomplish but it isn’t. Hardest thing of all is keeping everything well balanced so it doesn’t become overcrowded.
A book cover illustration drilled down to just the basics. Clever use of colors that speak. Designed by Yuki Bang.
Illustration for the legendary furniture company Herman Miller. The randomness of pattern use is wonderfully combined with a series of objects. Love the off color registration effect. Designed by Script & Seal.
Sometimes you don’t need many elements to create a visually inspiring piece. Those colors contrast so well. Designed by Script & Seal.
JetAway Magazine Link
Fantastic illustration that covers a whole range of facial emotions expressed in just a few lines. So great to learn from. I can look at this for a while. Designed by Dan Woodger.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/author/veerle-pieters/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/02/colorful-inspiration-gray-days-illustration-photography/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/11/100-photoshop-illustrations-by-artists-around-the-world/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/03/100-beautiful-illustrator-artworks-by-artists-around-the-world/
- 5 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/12/design-something-every-day/
- 6 http://www.fubiz.net/en/2016/03/15/impressive-photographs-of-waves-by-ben-thouard/
- 7 http://www.fubiz.net/en/2016/03/15/impressive-photographs-of-waves-by-ben-thouard/
- 8 http://www.fubiz.net/en/2016/03/15/impressive-photographs-of-waves-by-ben-thouard/
- 9 https://dribbble.com/shots/2537541-Tropical
- 10 https://dribbble.com/shots/2537541-Tropical
- 11 https://dribbble.com/shots/2537541-Tropical
- 12 https://dribbble.com/shots/2537541-Tropical
- 13 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34646071/Six-recent-projects
- 14 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34646071/Six-recent-projects
- 15 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34646071/Six-recent-projects
- 16 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34717399/Demain-Children-Book
- 17 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34717399/Demain-Children-Book
- 18 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34717399/Demain-Children-Book
- 19 http://malikafavre.com/kuoni
- 20 http://malikafavre.com/kuoni
- 21 http://malikafavre.com/kuoni
- 22 https://www.flickr.com/photos/leifpeng/73148920/sizes/o/in/set-1538995/
- 23 https://www.flickr.com/photos/leifpeng/73148920/sizes/o/in/set-1538995/
- 24 https://www.flickr.com/photos/leifpeng/73148920/sizes/o/in/set-1538995/
- 25 https://www.behance.net/gallery/17183127/Girls-with-fruits
- 26 https://www.behance.net/gallery/17183127/Girls-with-fruits
- 27 https://www.behance.net/gallery/17183127/Girls-with-fruits
- 28 http://eighthourday.com/work/facebook-events
- 29 http://eighthourday.com/work/facebook-events
- 30 http://eighthourday.com/work/facebook-events
- 31 http://monsieurz-zielenkiewicz.blogspot.be/2014/09/chiwawa-courchevel.html
- 32 http://monsieurz-zielenkiewicz.blogspot.be/2014/09/chiwawa-courchevel.html
- 33 http://monsieurz-zielenkiewicz.blogspot.be/2014/09/chiwawa-courchevel.html
- 34 https://dribbble.com/shots/2591031-Mavericks-Poster
- 35 https://dribbble.com/shots/2591031-Mavericks-Poster
- 36 https://dribbble.com/shots/2591031-Mavericks-Poster
- 37 https://www.behance.net/gallery/33256633/Evian-illustrated-campaign-
- 38 https://www.behance.net/gallery/33256633/Evian-illustrated-campaign-
- 39 https://www.behance.net/gallery/33256633/Evian-illustrated-campaign-
- 40 https://www.behance.net/gallery/27877197/african-postcards
- 41 https://www.behance.net/gallery/27877197/african-postcards
- 42 https://www.behance.net/gallery/27877197/african-postcards
- 43 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/193303008981263643/
- 44 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/193303008981263643/
- 45 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/193303008981263643/
- 46 http://www.maltebrandenburg.com/portfolio#/stacked/
- 47 http://www.maltebrandenburg.com/portfolio#/stacked/
- 48 http://www.maltebrandenburg.com/portfolio#/stacked/
- 49 https://dribbble.com/shots/2602604-Flamingo-Dance
- 50 https://dribbble.com/shots/2602604-Flamingo-Dance
- 51 https://dribbble.com/shots/2602604-Flamingo-Dance
- 52 http://poolga.com/poolga/inma-lorente-spring
- 53 http://poolga.com/poolga/inma-lorente-spring
- 54 http://poolga.com/poolga/inma-lorente-spring
- 55 https://www.behance.net/gallery/29042467/Books-can-take-you-places
- 56 https://www.behance.net/gallery/29042467/Books-can-take-you-places
- 57 https://www.behance.net/gallery/29042467/Books-can-take-you-places
- 58 http://www.georgetheexplorer.com/
- 59 http://www.georgetheexplorer.com/
- 60 http://www.georgetheexplorer.com/
- 61 http://www.georgetheexplorer.com/visit-scotland/
- 62 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34987495/Geometric-birds-(Procreate-iPad-Pro)
- 63 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34987495/Geometric-birds-(Procreate-iPad-Pro)
- 64 https://www.behance.net/gallery/34987495/Geometric-birds-(Procreate-iPad-Pro)
- 65 http://poolga.com/poolga/lucas-jubb-day-time
- 66 http://poolga.com
- 67 http://poolga.com/poolga/lucas-jubb-day-time
- 68 http://poolga.com/poolga/lucas-jubb-day-time
- 69 https://dribbble.com/shots/2611138-Social-Marketing
- 70 https://dribbble.com/shots/2611138-Social-Marketing
- 71 https://dribbble.com/shots/2611138-Social-Marketing
- 72 http://www.georgetheexplorer.com/
- 73 http://www.georgetheexplorer.com/
- 74 http://www.georgetheexplorer.com/
- 75 https://dribbble.com/shots/2598712-FUN
- 76 https://dribbble.com/shots/2598712-FUN
- 77 https://dribbble.com/shots/2598712-FUN
- 78 http://ideastorm.bigcartel.com/product/vintage-venice-travel-poster
- 79 http://ideastorm.bigcartel.com/product/vintage-venice-travel-poster
- 80 http://www.davidebonazzi.com
- 81 http://www.davidebonazzi.com
- 82 http://www.davidebonazzi.com
- 83 http://www.keithnegley.com/AICIO-Looking-back
- 84 http://www.keithnegley.com/AICIO-Looking-back
- 85 http://www.keithnegley.com/AICIO-Looking-back
- 86 https://twitter.com/photomatt/status/715392389947371521
- 87 https://twitter.com/photomatt/status/715392389947371521
- 88 https://twitter.com/photomatt/status/715392389947371521
- 89 https://dribbble.com/shots/2614248-Mystery-Project-76-3
- 90 https://dribbble.com/shots/2614248-Mystery-Project-76-3
- 91 https://dribbble.com/shots/2614248-Mystery-Project-76-3
- 92 https://www.behance.net/gallery/35477271/Illustrations-II
- 93 https://www.behance.net/gallery/35477271/Illustrations-II
- 94 https://www.behance.net/gallery/35477271/Illustrations-II
- 95 https://twitter.com/rondevlaanderen
- 96 https://twitter.com/rondevlaanderen
- 97 https://twitter.com/rondevlaanderen
- 98 http://burnttoast.myportfolio.com/meat-balloon
- 99 http://burnttoast.myportfolio.com/meat-balloon
- 100 http://burnttoast.myportfolio.com/meat-balloon
- 101 https://www.behance.net/gallery/31986133/MODI-SHIBUYA-Grand-Openning
- 102 https://www.behance.net/gallery/31986133/MODI-SHIBUYA-Grand-Openning
- 103 https://www.behance.net/gallery/31986133/MODI-SHIBUYA-Grand-Openning
- 104 https://dribbble.com/shots/2622981-Neighbors
- 105 https://dribbble.com/shots/2622981-Neighbors
- 106 https://dribbble.com/shots/2622981-Neighbors
- 107 http://www.alexpasquarella.com/sky-cities/
- 108 http://www.alexpasquarella.com/sky-cities/
- 109 http://www.alexpasquarella.com/sky-cities/
- 110 http://www.fabbricadellabici.com/post/141730213490
- 111 http://www.fabbricadellabici.com/post/141730213490
- 112 http://www.fabbricadellabici.com/post/141730213490
- 113 https://www.behance.net/gallery/32017317/Hansens-Yoghurt
- 114 https://www.behance.net/gallery/32017317/Hansens-Yoghurt
- 115 https://www.behance.net/gallery/32017317/Hansens-Yoghurt
- 116 https://dribbble.com/shots/2619093-G-M-Website-Explore
- 117 https://dribbble.com/shots/2619093-G-M-Website-Explore
- 118 https://dribbble.com/shots/2619093-G-M-Website-Explore
- 119 https://dribbble.com/shots/2616611-Bloody-Mary-Morning-SXSW
- 120 https://dribbble.com/shots/2616611-Bloody-Mary-Morning-SXSW
- 121 https://dribbble.com/shots/2616611-Bloody-Mary-Morning-SXSW
- 122 https://twitter.com/ukfilmlab/status/709312831951400960
- 123 https://twitter.com/ukfilmlab/status/709312831951400960
- 124 https://twitter.com/ukfilmlab/status/709312831951400960
- 125 http://www.raminiemi.com/Mr-Porter
- 126 http://www.raminiemi.com/Mr-Porter
- 127 http://www.raminiemi.com/Mr-Porter
- 128 http://www.davidebonazzi.com/uploads/1/7/8/2/17822545/5389103_orig.jpg
- 129 http://www.davidebonazzi.com/uploads/1/7/8/2/17822545/5389103_orig.jpg
- 130 http://www.davidebonazzi.com/uploads/1/7/8/2/17822545/5389103_orig.jpg
- 131 http://basiadziadosz.tumblr.com/post/141651510144/have-a-happy-easter-weekend-everybody
- 132 http://basiadziadosz.tumblr.com/post/141651510144/have-a-happy-easter-weekend-everybody
- 133 http://basiadziadosz.tumblr.com/post/141651510144/have-a-happy-easter-weekend-everybody
- 134 http://www.yukibang.com/urban-walkabout
- 135 http://www.yukibang.com/urban-walkabout
- 136 http://www.yukibang.com/urban-walkabout
- 137 http://www.scriptandseal.com/#/herman-miller/
- 138 http://www.scriptandseal.com/#/herman-miller/
- 139 http://www.scriptandseal.com/#/herman-miller/
- 140 http://www.scriptandseal.com/#/nylon-book/
- 141 http://www.scriptandseal.com/#/nylon-book/
- 142 http://www.scriptandseal.com/#/nylon-book/
- 143 https://www.behance.net/gallery/35561197/Fortune-Various-illustrations
- 144 https://www.behance.net/gallery/35561197/Fortune-Various-illustrations
- 145 https://www.behance.net/gallery/35561197/Fortune-Various-illustrations
- 146 https://www.behance.net/gallery/19794971/The-City-of-New-York
- 147 https://www.behance.net/gallery/19794971/The-City-of-New-York
- 148 https://www.behance.net/gallery/19794971/The-City-of-New-York