Please note that I’ll be on vacation for the next four weeks, so please don’t expect any new Web Development Reading List before October, 7th. Enjoy September, your work, your life!
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- Local Storage And How To Use It On Websites1
- Meet “Inclusive Front-End Design Patterns”, A New Smashing Book2
- Ways To Reduce Content Shifting On Page Load4
- Jason Zimdars explains why not shipping a feature can be a virtue5. An article about hidden costs and why shipping does not equal success.
- While many think Apple isn’t in the Artificial Intelligence game, this exclusive look gives some insights6 into why Apple handles things differently. An interesting read that reveals how Apple tries to do Artificial Intelligence with less user data and without tracking you — contrary to the industry’s big players.
Concept & Design Link
- The Web Methodology Project10 is a fresh guide to building web projects, and even though it’s still a work in progress, it already looks very useful. So keep an eye on it.
Tools & Workflows Link
- It’s now possible to mitigate MIME confusion attacks in Firefox14 by sending the header
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniffto the browsers.
- I’ve already shared some thoughts on using SRI, but now Troy Hunt explains why it’s important to use it right now15 if you reference external third-party scripts, for example jQuery, from its CDN.
- When using cookies on a website, you should set the
SameSiteoption to stop cross-site timing attacks16.
- Mischa Andrews on why making websites and web apps accessible is not super-hard17 yet neglected so often and how we can get out of this mess.
- React.js comes with its own component model already built-in. However, it can still make sense to use Web Components in React.js22 applications as they offer some more advantages of the web platform and are a native web standard.
- Michael Scharnagl shares some neat techniques to reduce content shifting during page load23 to ensure a smooth reading experience for users. By setting intrinsic ratios for media,
font-size-adjust, or new techniques such as scroll anchoring, you can improve the situation enormously.
Work & Life Link
And with that, I’ll close for this week. If you like what I write each week, please support me with a donation25 or share this resource with other people. You can learn more about the costs of the project here26. It’s available via email, RSS and online.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/10/local-storage-and-how-to-use-it/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/inclusive-design-patterns/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/08/ways-to-reduce-content-shifting-on-page-load/
- 5 https://m.signalvnoise.com/not-shipping-is-a-virtue-b880badb623c
- 6 https://backchannel.com/an-exclusive-look-at-how-ai-and-machine-learning-work-at-apple-8dbfb131932b
- 7 https://m.signalvnoise.com/not-shipping-is-a-virtue-b880badb623c
- 8 https://m.signalvnoise.com/not-shipping-is-a-virtue-b880badb623c
- 9 https://m.signalvnoise.com/not-shipping-is-a-virtue-b880badb623c
- 10 http://webmethodologyproject.com/guide/
- 12 https://github.com/google/closure-compiler-js
- 13 https://www.npmjs.com/package/google-closure-compiler-js
- 14 https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2016/08/26/mitigating-mime-confusion-attacks-in-firefox/
- 15 https://www.troyhunt.com/protecting-your-embedded-content-with-subresource-integrity-sri/
- 16 https://www.igvita.com/2016/08/26/stop-cross-site-timing-attacks-with-samesite-cookies/
- 17 https://medium.com/@MischaAndrews/the-inaccessible-web-how-we-got-into-this-mess-7cd3460b8e32
- 18 https://medium.com/@MischaAndrews/the-inaccessible-web-how-we-got-into-this-mess-7cd3460b8e32
- 19 https://medium.com/@MischaAndrews/the-inaccessible-web-how-we-got-into-this-mess-7cd3460b8e32
- 20 http://adamvanwinden.tumblr.com/
- 22 http://staltz.com/react-could-love-web-components.html
- 23 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/08/ways-to-reduce-content-shifting-on-page-load/
- 24 https://m.signalvnoise.com/its-urgent-really-8050dfe3b921
- 25 https://wdrl.info/donate
- 26 https://wdrl.info/costs/