FRONTLINE is PBS’s flagship investigative documentary series, which explores the issues of our time through powerful storytelling. Our investigations have helped breathe new life into terrorism cold cases, freed innocent people from jail, prompted U.N. resolutions, and spurred both policy and social change. We’ve won every major journalism and broadcasting award, including 89 Emmy Awards and 20 Peabody Awards. Today, our dedicated cadre of reporters, producers and digital makers report across platforms — from our documentaries and podcast series, to longform written narratives and transmedia projects. In an age of 24⁄7 breaking news, we remain dedicated to thoughtful, incisive accountability journalism.
FRONTLINE is also committed to presenting more voices, perspectives and experiences across our platforms. To foster a work environment that values inclusiveness and reflects the broad perspectives of the American public, we encourage qualified applicants from all racial, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities and functional limitations to apply, especially those from historically marginalized communities.
FRONTLINE is looking for a creative, talented front-end developer to join its award-winning digital team. We’re seeking someone committed to telling deeply reported stories in an innovative, digital-first experience. We are story-first, so our developer will be involved from the outset in helping to create an experience that not only meets the project’s needs technically, but also journalistically.
Our work requires a nimble approach to development that involves staying up-to-date with the latest trends, and introducing emerging technologies into the tech stack to complement a fast-paced news environment. This person should be able to juggle short and long-term interactive projects on an evolving timeline, and be flexible enough to troubleshoot solutions on the fly.
- Work closely with FRONTLINE’s senior designer, reporters, producers and editors to create innovative digital projects
- Build internal tools that contribute to FRONTLINE’s award-winning reporting
- Evaluate third-party tools and libraries to determine how effectively they can serve digital reporting efforts
- Shape the developer roadmap for general site maintenance, architecture improvements, and digital projects
Skills & Experience
- Comfortable with WordPress development
- Experience with a python web framework (Flask, Django, etc.)
- Experience with data visualization and mapping in D3
- Skilled in responsive web design
- Ability to problem-solve creatively
- Effective and professional communication skills
- Strong collaborative nature
Bachelor’s degree preferred.