At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced front-end software engineer with a deep understanding of the web and a focus on maintainability, resilience and how to deliver the best experience to users? Then join an agile team of talented software engineers and contribute to building the next generation of web applications for CERN’s Business Computing Group. CERN, take part!
You will join the Business Computing Group (BC) where 70+ talented international colleagues are responsible for delivering the information systems for all of CERN’s business functions.
The product management driven group is working for clients across the whole Organisation (HR, Finance, Planning, Safety, Security, Purchasing, Logistics and Accelerator Operations). The type of products under the group’s responsibility ranges from custom-made solutions for a few users to large and widely integrated systems with 15,000+ users. Hence, working for the BC Group provides numerous perspectives for being in touch with different technologies and business areas.
As a Front-End Software Engineer, you will be responsible for contributing to the front-end strategy of the Business Computing group. More specifically, you will take on the following responsibilities:
- Translate (snippets of) high fidelity mock-ups into identical responsive front-end interfaces.
- Implement, test, document and maintain web user interfaces.
- Challenge and convince product managers, business analysts, and UX designers to find the best balance between functionality, development, sustainability and performance.
- Contribute to establish best practices, standards and quality metrics for the front-end ecosystem of the Group.
- Understand, suggest and apply behavioural interface best practices, like auto-focus, keyboard-only interaction etc.
- Mentor junior front-end developers.
Master’s degree or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of computer science, digital media or a related field.
- Extensive experience in the implementation and maintenance of front-end code.
- Experience with front-end tools (dependencies, build, etc).
- Experience with mobile development.
- Knowledge of front-end security and performance.
- A good understanding or experience with UX and/or UI design would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: web development and maintenance.
- Knowledge of best practices for developing secure software: understanding of OWASP resources.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures: Scrum/Kanban, issue tracking systems, Git, dependencies and build tools (NPM/Yarn, Webpack, etc).
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software: migration of user interfaces from old technologies to new standards.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization: focusing on the broader picture; being able to set aside individual or team needs in the interest of the Organization; setting ambitious, challenging but realistic goals; being ready to take initiatives and calculated risks in the interests of CERN; promoting synergy and cooperation between the various parts of the Organization.
- Building relationships: showing a sincere interest in the concerns and perspectives of others; understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities; being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals; sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions; readily admitting to mistakes.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; actively seeking feedback on own performance and taking steps to improve it; demonstrating a receptive approach to feedback; being open to criticism and reconsidering position accordingly.
- English spoken and written with the ability to draw-up specifications and/or reports and/or to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.06.2019. Apply via the ‘Apply’ button.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: FAP-BC-UI-2019-54-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further.