Brown University is seeking Front-end Designer to join its growing web and digital communication team. The ideal candidate is a visual designer, user experience expert and technologist who will works in a team environment to create designs for Brown’s digital platforms, including the University’s flagship website, Brown.edu.
Reporting to the Director of Web & Digital Communication Strategy, the Front-end Designer creates visual designs for Brown’s digital platforms and assists in the development of front-end code to power those designs. The Front-end Designer is responsible for designing beautiful, functional websites and design system components that convey the University’s messaging strategy, visual identity and brand. The goal is to create designs that achieve Brown’s communication and marketing objectives through an understanding of layout and visual hierarchy that meets the needs of end-users.
The Front-end Designer works collaboratively with the practice lead for UX design and front-end development to ensure that Brown’s digital communication platforms are modern, functional and aligned with the strategic communication goals of the University. The ideal candidate is a well-rounded digital expert who can solve complex communication and marketing challenges while serving as an advocate for users.
The Front-end Designer is part of Brown’s central web and digital team in the Office of University Communications (OUC). OUC offers cohesive marketing strategies, visual identity and multi-platform visual design; web and digital communications strategy and front-end development; photography; video production; and print production and mail services.
- Bachelor’s degree in visual design and three to five years of professional experience (or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.)
- Job Competencies
- Demonstrated expertise in web design, design fundamentals, visual identity systems and W3C standards.
- Ability to articulate an understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy in web and mobile interfaces.
- Knowledge of web accessibility standards, including WCAG and Section 508.
- Expert-level knowledge of digital design and development tools such as Sketch, InVision, Zeplin, etc.
- Experience with front-end prototyping tools, such as Webflow or CodePen
- Ability to contribute ideas and execute the ideas of others competently; ability to work autonomously and on a team.
- Desire and willingness to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of an institution, its key stakeholders, audiences and partners, and to communicate in a professional manner to all levels of leadership across disciplines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality.
- Agency experience is preferred.
- A portfolio of web/digital design work is a prerequisite for the position.
All offers of employment are contingent upon consent to criminal background screening check satisfactory to Brown.
To Apply, please use this link to directly view the position on Brown’s Career Site: https://brown.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/staff-careers-brown/job/South-Street-Landing/Digital-Strategist—Web-Producer_REQ147557-1
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
(Please visit our website and get to know us better at: www.brown.edu)
Located in historic Providence, Rhode Island and founded in 1764, Brown University is the seventh-oldest college in the United States. Brown is an independent, coeducational Ivy League institution comprising undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Engineering, and the School of Professional Studies.
With its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional undergraduate instruction. Brown’s vibrant, diverse campus community consists of about 4,500 staff and faculty, 6,200 undergraduates, 2,000 graduate students, 490 medical school students, more than 5,000 summer, visiting, and online students, and over 700 faculty members. Brown students come from all 50 states and more than 115 countries. Brown is frequently recognized for its global reach, many cultural events, numerous campus groups and activities, active community service programs, highly competitive athletics, and beautiful facilities located in a richly historic urban setting.
Brown offers competitive benefits such as a generous retirement plan and education programs; details are available at: http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/human-resources/