Wild Me is a non-profit organization looking for a designer who is interested in developing cutting edge solutions to translate machine learning workflows and results into engaging and easy-to-understand displays for wildlife biologists. This competitively paid, full time position requires a candidate who can learn quickly and is comfortable working with evolving software and requirements on a small team focused on advanced, open source software for wildlife conservation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Wild Me team members and project stakeholders (e.g., field biologists and customers) to scope, design, code and deliver software solutions with great visual appeal.
- Use good analytical and technical problem-solving skills to design and deliver software solutions that effectively translate the nuances of machine learning into visual displays that are informative for a global audience of biologists and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Research cutting-edge technologies and novel technical solutions to help improve how we display our applications and services.
- Maintain a basic curiosity about wildlife conservation
- Work independently with minimal supervision while maintaining active participation within the team
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- Passionate about pixel level detail and smooth UI interactions
- At least three years of professional experience writing production level software
- Familiarity with Sass or Less
- Familiarity with tools such as Grunt, Gulp, Bower, Git
- Experience with Restful APIs and data manipulation with JSON
- Proven experience and high tolerance for ambiguity working through product incubation to final release
- Ability to stay resilient in the face of new hardware or software challenges
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- This role requires ability to travel nationally and internationally about 10%
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in computer sciences, computer engineering, electrical engineering or related field from accredited institution and 3 plus year’s relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
You Get Bonus Points For
- Foreign language skills
- Experience working with international customers
- Software i18n and l10n experience
- Proven experience in wildlife conservation projects
- Experience with cloud services (e.g., Azure)
- Experience with crowdsourced data collection and citizen science activities
- Experience building systems at scale
- Willingness to help teach others, including volunteers and Wild Me engineering staff
- Work in an open, highly collaborative environment.
- Consistently advocate for and implement good design.
- Show enthusiasm for design, research and application in machine learning, helping us bring machine learning at scale to wildlife biologists across the globe.
- Cross-train in and integrate with Wild Me’s existing identification and detection pipeline
- Write funding proposals and attend meetings with clients that expect a high degree of competency
- Move to Portland, OR to work in-person at Wild Me’s office
Please send a CV and portfolio to: email@example.com