BuzzFeed’s Site Group is looking for a frontend Software Engineer to help build a more accessible, performant and engaging web experience on buzzfeed.com. This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media — from viral quizzes to Pulitzer-Prize winning investigative series — who wants to work on projects with huge scale and impact.
As a software engineer on the Site team you’ll be a key part of our ongoing project to build the next generation of buzzfeed.com using Next JS and React. Our mission is to create a cohesive web experience that builds around our audience and business together, making buzzfeed.com the best place to consume content on the web.
You would be reporting into a Senior Engineer in the London office, surrounded by passionate and talented individuals who are generous with their time and invested in seeing you grow within BuzzFeed. Day to day, you’ll be collaborating with engineering, product, design and data science colleagues in New York, Los Angeles and Minneapolis.
What you’ll do
- Build accessible and resilient components and site features that are served across buzzfeed.com to millions of global users.
- Create reusable patterns that improve the consistency of the codebase.
- Operate in a data-driven way, using insights you collect on user behaviour to create compelling and engaging experiences
- Collaborate with other software engineers, designers, product managers, and others, taking learning opportunities that will arise every single day.
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed and get a deep understanding of large-scale media companies’ architecture and operations
Who you are
- You understand that the web is for everyone and build inclusive, accessible systems.
- You are a passionate, empathetic engineer who enjoys contributing to, and leading, technical projects and working with engineers at all levels
- You value testing, instrumenting and documenting your work.
- You adapt quickly to change and love to ship and iterate, building on new user research, insights and data.
- You have some familiarity with a modern JS framework such as React, Vue, Svelte etc. (or you are enthusiastic about learning more about them).
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, and birthday treats