Duties and Responsibilities
Loyola University Chicago, Marketing and Communication (UMC) seeks a candidate who will be part of a team directly responsible for the design and development of the University website. This includes the creation of related micro-sites and projects. This person will play a key role creating and implementing web strategy for electronic marketing under the direction of the University’s Art Director and Director of Web Marketing, but will have a direct report relationship with the Senior Web Designer.
As a member of a group of several full-time designers, this person will have a formal role teaching teammates to design for the web. Education will also extend to a web strategy group, a multi-media group, and content providers across the University. Outside of UMC, the position will work closely with information technology personnel and content providers across the University (more than 350) to ensure brand/template standards are being met.
As the University’s most important channel for communicating with prospective and current students and other key audiences (donors, alumni, faculty and staff, media, general community, parents), an ability to understand customer needs and develop strategies and implement online technologies is critical.
- Provides strategic development of the University’s website and actively participate in the evolution of the site adapting to emerging technologies and changing audience needs.
- Serves as part of the web design team designing and building University pages/sites and providing custom design work, as needed. Clients range from enrollment management to advancement to the President’s Office.
- Prepares sites by installing programming language using authoring and formatting tools and ensuring cross-platform compatibility.
- Educates teammates (designers, web project managers, student interns, and content providers across the University) on principles of web design and technology applications.
- Develops and maintains University web brand and style standards.
- Maintains state-of-the-art technical and creative skills including implementation of emerging rich media to deliver targeted messages to University audiences.
- Performs other duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree and two to four years of experience in design/marketing environment with a significant focus on Web projects and Web programming. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, web development.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in design/marketing environment with a significant focus on web design/redesign to accomplish strategic business and marketing goals is strongly preferred.
- At least three years’ experience in web programming.
- Project management skills with demonstrated success integrating web design and effective application of marketing, business and other strategic principles.
- Ability to multitask with proven track record in meeting project deadlines.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, and exceptional client-service and team-participation skills.
- Proven ability to share knowledge and teach others.
- Understands the purpose, processes, and principles of multimedia and interactive storytelling.