The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
We are hiring a UX Director to lead the development of user-focused digital platforms and products to support all of NRDC’s engagement efforts. Now more than ever, NRDC wants to make sure that we are building digital experiences that are driven by the needs of our audiences so they can find what they are looking for and stay engaged with our work. These platforms include the organization’s main web platform, www.nrdc.org, subsidiary websites, and our engagement tools like forms, data visualizations, and apps.
The role will oversee the content and channel analysis, web and digital development, lead digital design, and manage a mix of staff and vendors who will deliver against the work. The UX Director will work with the Senior Director of Data and Digital Technology to align engagement and audience strategy with the tools that we build. This will include developing research, approach, and measurement of our user experience to make sure we meet our strategic audience goals and align with our mission. The UX Director must be a collaborative leader who can work to define and execute against goals.
- Lead all aspects of product design (conceptual design, prototyping, detailed design, usability testing, and implementation) and the backend systems to support.
- Align communications strategies with organizational goals to ensure that what we are building serves the institution, its supporters, and target audiences – grounded in benchmarking, user research, analysis and engagement.
- Lead a geographically dispersed team – responsible for employee engagement, retention and performance management. Responsible for digital security across all platforms and implementation of necessary upgrades to ensure ongoing security.
- Work with a variety of internal stakeholders from across communications and the organization to align programmatic need to user-centric strategy.
- Lead research, design, and development processes to inform our digital experiences and gain efficiency, remove obstacles, and simplify problems.
- Benchmark progress against strategic goals and KPI’s. Use that data to make adjustments to strategy and experience.
- Innovate and create a digital design and infrastructure and can be iterated upon to meet short- and long-term strategic objectives.
- Lead an internal team and vendors responsible for the project management, design, development, and analysis of our digital properties.
- 7-10 years of experience in user experience design, information architecture, interaction design and proven success in strategic web development.
- 10 years of experience managing a team.
- Experience developing compelling, user-centered digital experiences across multiple platforms. Please provide work samples and portfolios.
- Ability to navigate user and business needs to develop tools that serve the institution and brand.
- Background in data and analytics with experience using data to drive design decision-making.
- Strong managerial skaills.
- Experience working in an agile environment a plus.
- Experience working with Asana, Sketch, InVision and Jira.
- Superior relationship-building, communication within cross-functional teams and with multiple stakeholders.
- Background in web development or managing a team of developers a plus.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.