The School of Business & Applied Arts at Madison College in Madison, Wisconsin is now hiring for two full-time instructors who will complement the depths and strengths of the Web and Graphic Design faculty, program and certificates. As programs that have always prided themselves in staying current in the design and illustration field, we feel it is important that the successful candidates demonstrate analog, digital and cutting-edge technological expertise. We are calling for a wide pool of candidates from which we will interview for these two positions. Start date(s): One for Fall 2020 and one for Spring 2021.
This position is responsible for instruction of Graphic Design and Web Design at the college level. This includes developing a relevant and progressive curriculum, designing and implementing effective learning strategies and environments, utilizing innovative teaching techniques and technology, delivering instruction of high quality, assessing student learning, advising students, and participating in college service activities at the department, school and college levels. Our faculty work effectively with a diverse college community of students, other faculty, staff, and administrators to create a more just and equitable institution.
This position reports to the Dean of the School of Business & Applied Arts
Madison College’s dedication to promoting equity, inclusion and diversity is reflected in our Mission, Vision, and Values. Hiring an inclusive workforce that mirrors our student population is more than just a commitment at Madison College—it is the foundation of what we are striving to do. Come be part of our great team!
Are you accustomed to working 12 months out of the year but only want to work 9 months? If so, this opportunity is for you!
This position will be open until filled, with a first review date of June 15, 2020, at 11:59 pm. After this date, the recruitment may close without further notice. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Madison College provides a generous benefits package of time off, holidays, health/vision/dental/life insurance options, and you will be able to participate in the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS). Newly hired instructors serve a three-year probationary period.
Current Madison College employees must apply to the internal career site by logging into Workday
Salary Information: $62,000 - $82,000
Department: School of BAA_FT Faculty
- Facilitate student learning by developing appropriate instructional strategies to fit students’ needs to support student engagement.
- Evaluate student performance and provide regular feedback in courses taught by the instructor.
- Contribute to student success and retention by advising students with course selection, career concerns, internships, and other matters.
- Serve as an advocate for students and engage in activities that help students achieve their goals such as writing letters of recommendation, and/or helping students link with internships, service learning, job shadowing and other forms of networking.
- Provide support to the program, the school, and the college by attending and engaging in events and meetings and participating fully within the team environment.
- Continually revise curriculum to improve student learning.
- Continually improve teaching through professional development activities and the integration of new techniques and technology. This includes the development and implementation of an individualized professional development plan.
- Other duties as defined by the department, college, or officials.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Skill in communicating effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated skill in communications and human relations with populations of diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds and persons with disabilities.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and learning. This includes, but is not limited to, knowledge/experience with current educational methods/strategies such as learner-centered instruction, active learning, assessment, evaluation, collaborative techniques, and strategies aimed at closing the achievement gaps across race, gender, class, and disability (through inclusive pedagogy).
- Desire and ability to teach courses at both the collegiate transfer and technical/occupational program levels.
- Ability to communicate complex and difficult concepts and ideas to students with varied backgrounds and levels of preparedness.
- Engage in continuous improvement in the quality of instruction by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques and delivery methods, as well as incorporating appropriate use of new and emerging technologies into the learning environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues on course and program promotion, direction and innovation.
- Demonstrated commitment to the college mission, vision and values. Compliance with college policies, directives, work rules, and Faculty Responsibilities. Positive engagement with colleagues, handles conflict directly and professionally, contributes to team discussions, collaborates and helps colleagues, assumes the best from colleagues, provides and accepts constructive feedback, follows through on commitments, and supports final decisions that are made.
Master’s Degree or MFA Degree in Illustration, Graphic Design, Fine/Studio Art, or a closely related field, AND Four (4) years (8,000 hours) professional experience (other than teaching) in Illustration, Graphic Design, or related field
Bachelor’s Degree or BFA in Illustration, Graphic Design, Fine/Studio Art, or a closely related field, AND Five (5) years (10,000 hours) professional experience (other than teaching) in Illustration, Graphic Design, Fine/Studio Art, or a closely related field
Bachelor’s Degree in a major unrelated to Illustration, Graphic Design, Fine/Studio Art, or a closely related field, AND An Associate of Applied Arts degree in Illustration, Graphic Design, AND Six (6) years (12,000 hours) professional experience (other than teaching) in Illustration, Graphic Design, Fine/Studio Art, or a closely related field
An Associate of Applied Arts degree in Illustration, Graphic Design, AND Seven (7) years (14,000 hours) professional experience (other than teaching) in Illustration, Graphic Design
- Experience with or willingness to learn different modes of instruction (online, hybrid, Classroom Live, and modes of the future.
- Experience teaching course content using a learning management system (e.g. Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace, Angel).
Madison College is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty who thrive on teaching and working in a multicultural environment. The college seeks candidates interested in contributing to the diversity and inclusive excellence of the academic community through their teaching and service.
(applications missing the required materials will not be considered)
- A link to your portfolio website.
- A single PDF in response to the following ESSAY QUESTION: Select one of your professional design projects. In 300 to 500 words, please describe your involvement, process and how it met the client’s goals. Please, include a sample of the design in this PDF. If appropriate, provide a hyperlink within the PDF.
If you are experiencing application issues please contact the HR hotline, (608) 246-6900.
Madison Area Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Rosemary Buschhaus, J.D., SPHR, SHRM-SCP, Associate Vice President, Human Resources, 1701 Wright St Madison, WI 53704 (608) 246-6900
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1917677
Welcome! Thank you for visiting our career site, where Madison College is committed to matching talent to opportunity. We are known for our real-world, smart approach to learning – offering students innovative, high-tech career pathways and college transfer opportunities with more than 150 programs to choose from. Madison College is a great place to work and has been for over 100 years, serving more than 33,000 students in 12 south-central Wisconsin counties. The College offers generous salaries, benefits, and an inspiring work environment. Employees enjoy a culture dedicated to lifelong learning, wellness and inclusiveness.
Take some time and look around — once you’ve have a chance to explore our current opportunities, apply to the ones you feel best suit your interests, background and experiences. Thereafter, you can keep track of your application status and watch for new opportunities that might be of interest to you.
Along with our competitive wages, check out the benefits that we offer: https://madisoncollege.edu/careers
Learn More about Madison College: https://madisoncollege.edu/about
As part of the application process, finalists will undergo a background check including criminal history, educational verification, and references. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify you from employment. All cases are considered on an individual basis, and the offense will be compared to the position for which you are applying.