Constructive, a leading social impact design & digital design agency based in NY with a remote US staff, is looking for a full-stack WordPress web developer with great front-end and back-end chops to help us create digital experiences that help make the world a better place. We’re also looking to add freelance talent if you’re looking for a part-time gig.
While this job can either be in NYC or remote, you must be legally able to work in the United States and be physically in the US or Canada. We’re looking for a creative, flexible thinker who has a proven track record of success leading web development projects that demand a high degree of creative and technical complexity. Take a look at what will be expected from, and what you’ll get in return. If you are a WordPress web developer who excels at translating sophisticated UX and design into elegant and usable experiences for users and website admins, are hungry to collaborate in close-knit teams of senior strategic and creative experts to push boundaries, and believe that the best digital experiences happen when strategy, technology, and design work together, then we’d love to hear from you.
And if you care deeply about the mark on the world you leave and share our deep commitment to using strategic, creative, and technical expertise to make a positive impact on issues like climate change, education, and social justice, then we think you’d love working with us and our clients.
About The Senior Developer Role
As a WordPress developer at Constructive, you will take the lead on developing complex websites for leading nonprofit and educational organizations. Working alongside our technology team, you will create content management systems, data visualizations, single-page applications, automation scripts, and everything in between. You’ll also integrate with third-party systems such as Salesforce, MailChimp, Network for Good, and Stripe.
We’re a collaborative company with very high standards who puts team-first. So you should really know your stuff, take responsibility for the quality of your work, want to work in tandem with others, love to share new ideas and approaches, and not have a big ego.
Senior Developer Responsibilities
We’ll need you to have strong, demonstrated success having done all or most of these things
- At least 5 years of web development experience and at least 3 years of heavy full-stack WordPress development
- Deep expertise in PHP software development best practices and object-oriented programming
- Deep experience creating cross-browser/cross-platform responsive websites
- Deep understanding of custom theme development and plugin development
- Excellent knowledge of development workflows, git, deployment
- Strong experience with content migrations from existing websites
- Significant experience integrating with common 3rd-party CRM, email marketing, and payment platforms
- Experience building design systems using component libraries and reusable front-end patterns
- Experience with accessibility such as WCAG compliance requirements
Additional Skills We Really Value
- Experience with TailwindCSS/AlpineJS
- Experience with Laravel (our core platform uses it heavily)
- Experience integrating with Salesforce
- Experience creating custom plugins/themes and exposing APIs via WP-JSON
- Advanced animation abilities
- Experience with Infrastructure, system administration & DevOps
- Familiarity with hosting solutions such as Pantheon, WP Engine, Heroku, or AWS
- Experience with Data Visualization platforms (D3, Highcharts)
- Experience using Sage, Extended ACF & CPT, and popular composer libraries
What We Offer
We do our best to make sure everyone at Constructive is taken care of with a great mix of salary, benefits and perks, opportunities for professional growth, and a healthy dose of time off. Our clients are essentially all nonprofits—so if you’re in it solely for the money, there are places that will probably offer you a bit more of that. We expect this position to have a base salary starting at $80K and going up from there depending on your experience and value-added skills. In addition, we offer the following robust benefits and perks.
- Company-Sponsored Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 401K plan with 4% company match
- Annual profit sharing plan
- Ongoing employee-driven micro-bonuses (via Bonusly)
- Discretionary performance-based bonuses
- 2 weeks paid vacation (+1 additional day per year, up to 15 maximum)
- Paid vacation between Christmas & New Year’s
- 1⁄2-day Summer Fridays (Approx 16) 1 week paid personal/sick days
- Flexible work schedules
- Annual professional development stipend
- New client bonus (2.5% of largest contract in year 1 for any non-inbound client)
- The feeling of satisfaction knowing that your work is helping make the world a better place
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We believe strongly that diversity is one of our greatest strengths—that the more perspectives we bring to the mix, the better we are as people and the better partner we are for our clients. So, in considering if Constructive is a good fit for you, know that all we care about is that you’re qualified to do the job, share most or all of our values, and want to be here. These are the things we’ll be evaluating for every applicant—and if you meet those and add to our diversity, all the better.
Then please send an email titled “Senior Developer” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- A resume
- A cover letter telling us a bit about you and what excites you about joining our team
- Links to your own website, websites you’ve worked on, github, whatever
- Answers to the following questions – What values drive you in your work? – What are the three most important things to being a great web developer? – What do you like to do when you’re not working?
- Desired salary (if freelance, your freelance rate)