Gravity Works is looking for a UX & DesignOps Manager to join our collaborative, communicative team. We are excited to find skilled candidates who enjoy the work they do on the web, who are ready to lead and grow a creative team, and who see value in the impact their work can have.
Our UX & design team — the Uxicorns — is responsible for creating designs and crafting content that meets clients’ needs while showcasing our standard for high-quality, engaging, accessible work. While the majority of our visual and content design work is for responsive websites, Gravity Works also creates mobile apps, posters, and branding. Our content work also includes sales proposals, marketing materials, blogging, and social media.
The UX & DesignOps Manager will lead design and user experience on small- and large-scale projects. This includes managing tasks and personnel needs for our designers and content strategist. They will also manage tasks and personnel needs for the Uxicorns, which includes a creative director, a designer, and a content strategist. Working closely and collaboratively with the team, the UX & DesignOps Manager will identify areas for mentorship and professional development. They will help the team deliver work that combines strategic goals, modern digital and brand design, compelling content, and emerging technology. Gravity Works is committed to following accessibility best practices and modern web standards. As technology grows and evolves, we evolve too: together as a team, we are always learning about and trying new techniques, processes, and tools.
UX team members work cross-functionally with Gravity Works’s production teams, which are led by a project manager and include multiple front-end and back-end developers. We work with a wide range of clients and projects as a consulting company. Teamwork is critical, but you will need to independently manage your time and tasks, and those of your team.
At Gravity Works, we are fully invested in our mission to promote and support diversity, equity, and inclusion. We create a safe, respectful space advocating for team members with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. Every day, we commit to growth and strive to amplify historically-underrepresented voices within our company and our larger communities. Through listening and learning, we find new ways to improve our efforts and welcome candidates who align with these values.
Gravity Works is a partially distributed company. We have been 100% remote since March 2020 due to COVID-19, but when it is safe to do so, about a third of our team may choose to work from our office in Lansing, Michigan, while others are welcome to continue to work fully remotely. We have employees in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, South Carolina, and New York. We stay in touch throughout the day with Slack and we use tools like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Google Meet to handle remote meetings. The Uxicorns often collaborate using tools and resources like Figma, The Noun Project, and Hemingway.
To apply for this position, please submit your information through LinkedIn. We’d love to hear from you even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements.
- Develop trusted relationships with team members and clients.
- Run team meetings with UX & design team; analyze internal operations and identify areas of process enhancement and professional development.
- Guide cross-team adoption of modern, efficient design and UX processes, following industry trends and emerging developments.
- Transform complex concepts and workflows into simple, understandable, user experiences within sitemaps, wireframes, and usability testing.
- Maintain familiarity with accessibility best practices; understand and advocate for their importance to the design and UX processes.
- Guide cross-functional collaboration across teams, and schedule one-on-one time with Project Managers and Front-End Developers to assist with complex tasks.
- Consult with other team leaders on strategic initiatives and needs.
- Assist with estimating and project resourcing; consult on budgets and requirements for potential projects and sales opportunities.
- Seek out and use data and customer insights to inform UX recommendations.
- A working environment that promotes work-life balance and allows for a flexible schedule.
- Competitive salary plus a range of benefits, with medical and dental insurance, holidays and vacations (including your birthday and paid vacation for conferences), and conference attendance budget.
- A safe, respectful space that advocates for diverse, inclusive skills and perspectives.
- The opportunity to work on a wide range of interesting and challenging projects.
- Individual and team-wide opportunities for professional development.