DevCollaborative is seeking a front-end developer based in the United States who is experienced in working in Drupal and/or WordPress and, with some training, is willing to work in both systems.
Why We Need You
We are looking for someone who cares about making websites accessible and who understands accessibility basics, writes well-documented code, strives to follow coding standards and use best practices, and has an always-learning mindset.
Successful candidates will have strong technical skills, as well as patience and compassion for explaining technical concepts to others in plain language. They will be able to manage themselves in a 100% remote-work environment and excel at communicating well, both with other team members and with clients.
What We Offer You
- The opportunity to work with a small team on meaningful projects that have a positive social impact.
- We’re a remote team; you can work from anywhere.
- A 30-to 35-hour work week (your choice), with flexibility where you need it.
- Annual salary: $70,000-$85,000, based on experience and desired length of work week.
- Generous time off: 1 week of sick time, 2 weeks of PTO, 2 weeks of holidays annually.
- 401(k) plan.
- Please note that we do not offer health insurance benefits at this time.
- On-the-job mentoring - we’ll help you find your footing and keep helping you along the way.
- A culture that prioritizes the healthy boundaries that people need to balance their work and non-work lives.
- Support from the team when you need it - we don’t work in silos, and neither will you.
The Work You’d Do
- Writing and debugging front-end code for Drupal and WordPress sites, including but not limited to:
- Theme template files, Drupal preprocess functions, theme hooks in Drupal and WordPress
- Drupal and WordPress site-building tasks, including but not limited to:
- Enabling and configuring modules and plugins relevant to the site’s front-end
- Configuring displays via the CMS admin interface
- Evaluating and improving accessibility in visual design comps from designers, as well as in modules, plugins, and custom code
- Working with local development environments and command line tools
- Attending meetings with the project team to provide updates
- Collaborating on, planning, and completing development tasks
- Peer reviewing coworkers’ code changes
- Providing insight to improve front-end expertise of co-workers, contractors, and clients
- Providing estimates for client requests and for the sales process
- Setting priorities, expectations, and communicating with project managers and clients around project needs and task progress
We want you to have:
- An understanding of the Drupal module and/or WordPress plugin ecosystem, including paid development experience working with code in Drupal 8⁄9 and/or WordPress
- A willingness to learn Drupal or WordPress front-end development if you don’t know both
- Recent experience with all aspects of Drupal and/or WordPress theming, including UI familiarity, configuration, and basic site administration, creation/manipulation of theme files
- Comfort working with command-line tools, including Git and package managers
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and best practices
- Experience identifying and resolving accessibility-related issues
- Experience with using Git for version control, preferably in a team setting
- Knowledge of and adherence to Drupal and/or WordPress coding standards and best practices
- Familiarity with developer tools available in modern browsers
- Familiarity working with a team that includes project managers and other developers using a project ticketing systems such as Asana
- Debugging experience in IE11+, mobile browsers, and common modern browsers
- A professional, collaborative, and proactive approach to people and problems
- Strong written and verbal professional communication skills
- An always-learning mindset and an enjoyment of helping others learn with you
- Positive and encouraging attitude toward assigned work and co-workers
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and within deadlines
- Self-directed: able to work independently and within a virtual team, and consistently manage your own time and tasks
- A desire for a healthy work/life balance: we plan for a 30- or 35-hour work week, based on your preference.
DevCollaborative is a remote, distributed team of web technology experts who build websites exclusively for nonprofit organizations in Drupal and WordPress. We are an intentionally small team of employees and contractors based in the US in the northeast, Chicago, Colorado, and the west coast.
In all our work, we focus on the accessibility and sustainability of content, design, and code. We have clients on both coasts doing progressive, innovative work to make things better. We aim to build them clear, usable, long-lasting, inclusive websites that help them get their important work done.
We approach technical challenges with our whole brains, using our experience to solve problems with the client’s big picture in mind. Does this sound like you, too?
For More Information https://devcollaborative.com/jobs/front-end-dev