Are you knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the web and design systems? Do you strive to understand user needs and create the best solution possible? Are you able to guide the design process from early sketches to wireframes to high-fidelity prototypes? Do you take pride in being thorough? If the answer is yes, you will make an excellent addition to our team!
We’re looking for a UX Designer to join our UX Design Team to develop new features and experiences for our internal websites and applications. Using design research methods, you will provide understanding of people, context of use, and usability, and craft a strategy rooted in those insights. You will deliver on that vision through effective collaboration, planning, interaction design, and visual design. As a specialist in UX and human-centered design (HCD) principles, you will help define and build a culture of UX at the SEI.
What you’ll do:
- Set the vision for UX and lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle from discovery to launch.
- Collaborate with small multi-disciplinary teams and partner closely with engineering, product, and business partners to explore problems and find sophisticated and practical solutions to design challenges.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts (wireframes, mockups, and prototypes) to communicate workflows, interactions, ideas, and solutions.
- Identify and translate common design patterns into design system components.
- Be autonomous. You’ll take full ownership of your work, and take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- Be an advocate for HCD across to organization by teaching others and creating tech exchanges.
Who you are:
- Have proven design skills. You have the ability to research problems, simplify complexity, develop and communicate new ideas, and create valuable user experiences.
- Have experience in designing responsive user experiences on the web leveraging a design system.
- A hardworking systems thinker and problem solver who can connect the dots between various user groups and process workflows and turn them into simple and impactful design solutions.
- Have a people-focused design mentality. You are always seeking ways to improve designs through feedback, whether through hands-on user research or team design critiques.
- An effective facilitator. You’ve structured workshops to drive outcomes quickly and effectively. You’re familiar with standard methodologies but are just as comfortable challenging them.
- An articulate communicator and passionate storyteller. Your presentations are rooted in human needs as well as design rationale, and they clearly convey a message to a target audience.
- Have the ability to deliver high-quality work and care about the impact.
- Have an online or PDF portfolio that exhibits thoughtful process, strong design artifacts, and excellent visual design and writing skills.
Who we are:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Its core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect-free, within budget and on time, every time.
The UX Design Team builds user-facing products to help deliver key business information to our employees, improve business processes, and increase organizational performance.
Our benefits philosophy encompasses three driving priorities: choice, control and well-being. Through Carnegie Mellon University, SEI offers a wide range of competitive employee benefits to help you live well, including comprehensive health insurance, tuition benefits, and a generous PTO and retirement savings policy to name a few.
To learn more, visit these resources:
Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Benefits at Glance to get a listing of all employee benefits.
Staff Member Benefits to get detailed information about benefits for employees who are not faculty.
Why work here:
- Work with cutting edge technologies and experts to solve tough problems for the government and the nation.
- Get 8% monthly contribution for your retirement, without having to make a contribution yourself.
- Get tuition benefits to CMU for you and your dependent children.
- Enjoy a healthy work/life balance with a flexible work arrangement.
- Get access to university resources including campus fitness facilities, mindfulness programs, child care, free transportation on the Port Authority Transit System, etc.
- Enjoy annual professional development opportunities to attend conferences and training or obtain a certification.
- Get relocation assistance.
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements, including use of facial coverings, daily self-assessment and weekly Tartan Testing.