We are seeking a Product Owner to be an essential part of HRiA’s substance use and gambling helplines portfolio.
HRiA’s core services comprise four clusters: (1) capacity building assistance (CBA), (2) grantmaking for biomedical research and community health initiatives, (3) research and evaluation, and (4) health and racial equity. HRiA’s CBA services include training, technical assistance, technical support, and communications services.
As part of our CBA services portfolio, HRiA operates statewide substance use helplines in Massachusetts, Illinois, and Vermont, and an integrated problem gambling helpline in Massachusetts. The helplines comprise state-specific websites and online portals, as well as a single, centralized contact center that manages calls and chats from residents of multiple states. The helplines connect consumers with comprehensive, accurate, and current information about substance use disorder and problem gambling, and referrals to treatment, harm reduction, prevention, and recovery services available in their states. The Illinois Helpline also supports clinicians with resources to support and increase the number of prescribing clinicians of medication for opioid use disorder through the START MOUD project, facilitates access to the helpline via the Illinois prescription monitoring program, and provides additional resource support for callers via the Help is Here telephone menu offering links to state benefits, housing, food, shelter, and mental health service lines.
To learn more about HRiA and our helplines, visit the following:
- HRiA: hria.org
- IL Helpline for Opioids and Other Substances: www.HelplineIL.org
- VT Helplink: VTHelplink.org
- MA Substance Use Helpline: HelplineMA.org
- Massachusetts Gambling Helpline – gamblinghelplinema.org
This person will work with the web and helpline teams to scope, define, and prioritize maintenance, updates, and improvements to the helpline websites. Most work will be performed independently, but the Product Owner will work closely with various teams for planning and execution. The Product Owner should be experienced with and comfortable managing simultaneously a variety of projects from start to finish.
The position is ideal for a self-starter with strong analytical and organizational skills and a creative mindset and approach. This position is a Level 4B (Senior Manager) role at HRiA, with a salary range of $75k to $85k depending on experience and skills.
The Product Owner will be a champion for the helpline websites and responsible for their oversight. The Product Owner will apply analytics and organizational expertise and creativity to prioritize and deliver improvements to the various helpline websites. In addition to making improvements, they will help to maintain the helpline websites and incorporate a CI/ CD cycle for these sites. The Product Owner will also have an integral role in developing any new websites as the helpline portfolio expands.
This is an exempt, full-time position that either can be based in the Boston office or fully remote anywhere in the US. Currently HRiA’s Boston office is closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and all staff are working remotely (with the option for vaccinated staff to work in the office as desired). HRiA’s office will reopen in early to mid-2022 in a “hybrid model,” enabling Boston-based HRiA employees the option to work remotely and/or in the office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- For helpline websites, define new features in sprint planning, ensure bug fixes are completed, and conduct routine maintenance on schedule
- Determine the structure and direction of helpline web properties in coordination with internal and external stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with internal project teams on project planning and implementation
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop roadmaps and product plans
- Create and manage project plans to develop new web assets and execute changes and updates to helpline websites
- Ensure the best user experience using available tools, within budget and other resource parameters
- Provide subject matter expertise to clients by translating complex technical language into plain language and vice versa
- Define new features for the helpline websites and scope time and resource needs
- Create roadmaps for future development cycles in coordination with web team and other internal and external stakeholders
- Help to create budgets and scope for new helpline websites and related products
- Working with the web and project teams, contribute to the development and operationalization of Continuous Improvement/ Continuous Development cycles for helpline websites.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of work duties that will be required in this position. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the rights of any supervisor to assign, direct, and contract work of staff under their supervision. The use of a particular illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties, not mentioned, that are of a similar level or difficulty.
- At least five years of experience as a project manager, product owner, or project owner for web based projects.
- Strong project management skills (for web-based projects) with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects
- Successful track record of delivering products on time and on budget
- BA/ BS in Computer Science, Business, or similar field with three years of experience, or five years related experience in lieu of a degree
- Understanding of the CI/ CD cycle and ability to apply it in this role
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Solid verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to value diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives
- Experience in thought leadership on innovative digital strategy solutions for helplines or similar public health interventions
- Product Owner Certification and/ or Project Manager Certificate
- Experience and/or interest in the social sector, public health, and/or health communications
- Experience with state and federal web contracts
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience managing and working with vendors such as designers and developers.
- Graphic design experience
- Fluency in another language beyond English
How to Apply:
HRiA is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced staff. The organization encourages multiple perspectives and experiences, supports a multicultural environment, and strives to hire and retain a diverse work force that reflects the populations we work with and the communities where we work. Diversity is a core value of HRiA resulting in culturally competent services, materials, resources, and programs. Our hiring and business practices appreciate the strengths offered through different backgrounds.
HRiA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
HRiA offers exceptional employee benefits that include a 35-hour work week; employer funded health, dental, and life insurance; a retirement plan that includes an employer-funded tax-deferred annuity; generous vacation time starting at four weeks; sick time; and flexible work schedules.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume online.