Are you interested in building digital tools to increase personal and economic freedom for more people? We’re looking for an Expert WordPress Developer who loves building websites with a purpose to join our team and add to our culture.
Our friendly, talented team works in a casual, collaborative atmosphere to build impactful websites for our clients, who include the leaders in national nonprofit, research, corporate, and advocacy.
We’re an Arlington-based digital advocacy firm which primarily assists clients on free-market and personal liberty issues with apps, ads, and ideas. We’ve been fortunate to assist our clients in building some awesome projects, and we want you to be a part of what we build next.
Talented developers can pick up new languages and frameworks relatively quickly, so we do not have hard experience requirements for specific languages or frameworks. But expertise in WordPress is the main hard skill we’re looking for since it’s what you’d be building sites with day to day.
- A very competitive salary and a twice-annual career development review and bonus program
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- Parking or Metro benefits
- A flexible schedule to optimize work-life integration
- We are looking for someone to be in our Arlington office 3-4 days most weeks, with significant flexibility to work from home
How do you know if you’d be a good fit?
- Are you the kind of person who always has a few projects going on at once?
- Do you sometimes stay up late at night tinkering with new languages and frameworks, or hacking away at an undocumented API?
- Are you the kind of person who isn’t afraid of making and admitting a mistake — and then learning from it?
- Do you enjoy learning from people with different backgrounds and skills than your own?
- Implement the technical aspects of new client WordPress sites
- Development of website backends, including WordPress taxonomies, custom fields, customized database configuration, and external APIs
- Migration of content from existing websites into WordPress
- Some development of responsive website frontends, using WordPress templates built on Timber, Sass, Advanced Custom Fields Pro, and the Gutenberg editor (though most of the heavy lifting here is already being completed by other team members)
- Assist our team of PMs, designers, and other developers in planning and designing new sites. We value developer input throughout the development process — there are no silos.
- Troubleshoot and resolve usability and technical issues on existing client sites
- Test and deploy feature and plugin updates to existing client sites
- Provide technical consultancy services to clients and fellow team members
- Develop reusable, easy-to-understand code
- 4+ years experience with WordPress, ideally in a client service capacity
- Expertise implementing responsive designs
- Experience using debugging tools such as XDebug and Chrome Inspector
- Strong understanding of most aspects of front-end and back-end website development
- Excellent written communication skills
- High ability to self-manage task workload and ask for help when there are competing project priorities — our developers aren’t out on an island!
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
- Experience with the Gutenberg editor
- Experience with WP Engine and Pantheon hosting platforms
- Experience with Advanced Custom Fields Pro
- Experience with Timber / TWIGExperience with Laravel
- Experience with Sketch and/or Invision