About the role
Are you a knowledgeable and passionate frontend developer that enjoys collaborating with developers, designers, and content creators? Do you write maintainable, performant, and high-quality code with an eye for good design? Are you able to adapt to new technologies and scenarios to find the right solutions? Do you strive to create the best user experience possible? If the answer is yes, you will make an excellent addition to our team!
We’re looking for a Senior Frontend Web Developer to join our Development Team to drive the frontend experience for the SEI website and several internal web applications. You’ll collaborate with designers to craft reusable components and design patterns that are incorporated into our design system to help us deliver a consistent and delightful user experience. You’ll use modern web technologies to build, operate, and enhance our web presences. As a specialist in frontend technologies, you will play a key role in shaping the technical direction of our websites and web applications.
What you’ll do
- Take ownership and lead frontend development for the SEI website.
- Collaborate with developers, designers, and business teams to build, operate, and maintain websites and web applications built for speed, scalability, and reliability.
- Be autonomous. You’ll take full ownership of your work, and take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- Collaborate with designers to craft accessible, reusable components and consistent design patterns.
- Represent the team and be a significant influence in the overall vision and long-term goals for the team and products.
Who you are
- More than 4 years of experience with modern web development.
- Structured, creative, and enjoy sharing knowledge and working collaboratively with developers, designers, and other team members.
- Write performant, testable, maintainable code with a good eye for design.
- Understand modern frontend ecosystem, including but not limited to bundling (e.g., webpack, gulp, vite), linting, static typing (e.g., TypeScript), and automated testing.
- Have experience implementing design systems or component libraries.
- Have experience working in an agile development team using a methodology such as Scrum.
- Focus on quantitative outcomes and delivering measurable product improvement.
Who we are
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Its core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect-free, within budget and on time, every time.
The Development Team works collaboratively with IT, business leaders, and technical staff to create enterprise-level business solutions that help the organization maintain and evolve technologies, business processes, and architectures to deliver a cohesive, and integrated business platform that constantly improves our organizational performance.
Our benefits philosophy encompasses three driving priorities: choice, control and well-being. Through Carnegie Mellon University, SEI offers a wide range of competitive employee benefits to help you live well, including comprehensive health insurance, tuition benefits, and a generous PTO and retirement savings policy to name a few.
To learn more, visit these resources:
- Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- Benefits at Glance to get a listing of all employee benefits.
- Staff Member Benefits to get detailed information about benefits for employees who are not faculty.
Why work here?
- Work with cutting edge technologies and experts to solve tough problems for the government and the nation.
- Get 8% monthly contribution for your retirement, without having to make a contribution yourself.
- Get tuition benefits to CMU for you and your dependent children.
- Enjoy a healthy work/life balance with a flexible work arrangement.
- Get access to university resources including campus fitness facilities, mindfulness programs, child care, free transportation on the Port Authority Transit System, etc.
- Enjoy annual professional development opportunities to attend conferences and training or obtain a certification.
- Get relocation assistance.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran. Read our Statement of Assurance to learn more.
CMU’s COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements, including use of facial coverings, daily self-assessment and weekly Tartan Testing.