Here’s What We Do For Our Members And Communities Worldwide
We believe in an open, diverse, and accessible web. With your help, we want to reward people doing great work to make it happen. That’s why we try to support community events and projects and the people behind them. We want to keep things fully transparent, so here we’ll be reporting what we do.
Of course, the ongoing Covid-19 situation has affected what everybody does, and also what we can do to organize physical events, and send things around the world. We have, however, tried our best to support our own Smashing Member community, as well as other local and global communities, in these challenging months.
This Is What We’ve Been Doing In The Past 250 Days (Friday, October 1, 2021)
Primarily for Smashing Members:
- We organized 3 Smashing Meets events and made the videos available,
- We ran 3 Live Audit sessions and made the recordings available,
- We released the “Image Optimization” book and made the eBook available for free,
- We provided discounts to 25 Smashing Workshops and made the recordings of some of the sessions freely available afterwards,
- We provided a lot of discounts on lovely products and services via partner deals,
- We started the refer a friend action allowing new & existing members a free month,
- We helped a friendly NGO to get a better website through our Smashing Meets — Actions Speak Louder — event,
- We gave some loyal & active members some Smashing prizes for being Smashing through our loyalty action,
- We provided 10 ‘Happy’ Memberships to people who would normally not be able to join our community.
For Communities worldwide:
- We published about 40 newsletters with handy tools and resources,
- We published about 200 articles, 10 podcasts
- We ran 3 free online workshops on accessibility, Jamstack and interface design, available for everyone to watch and rewatch,
- We gave away about 10 diversity tickets to our workshops
- We talked and moderated at various other conferences, events and festivals (including some in-person events again :)
- We’ve participated in Projector, a design school in Ukraine, and Women Developer Academy in Moscow, Russia.
- We (pro-bono) taught quite a few classes at schools worldwide
We have consistently been coaching new voices in the industry to write articles, speak at (online) meetups or conferences, and do workshops with us. In the coming period, we hope to bring you even more exciting new voices and topics.
Once the Covid-19 situation allows us to, we plan to set up local Smashing meetups around the world — in cooperation with existing communities — and support them with books, swag, and more.
We are still offering educational group memberships, and we hope to offer support to more people who want to learn but can’t afford it — through Smashing eBooks, webinars, and other learning materials.
Thank You So Much
It’s all made possible with your contributions. Your support allows us to bring you great content, pay all our contributors fairly, and reduce advertising on the site. You made it happen. So thank you.