White Hat UX
Most things in life come with a dark side. For years, the online space has acted as a playground for thieves, bandits and murky types who will use every trick in the book to make you do the opposite of what you set out to do. But there is hope. The next generation in user experience is coming.
Small websites are not the only ones tempted by the dark forces. Many of the world’s largest brands make use of dark patterns — some do so because of ignorance, while others lack the courage to admit their wrong doings. White Hat UX focuses on creating unique user experiences without a dark side. Leave the dark side and read the book. It is filled with inspiration to free yourself from the dark forces and join the next generation in user experience – White Hat UX.
About The Book
Whom This Book Is For
White Hat UX - The Next Generation in User Experience is the right book for you when you find yourself in one of the following situations:
- You’re not trained in UX, yet you now have the responsibility for it
- You struggle to follow along in the conversations about user experience in your team
- You are a manager and want to understand how your company can become leaders in the modern digital market (hint: serving a great user experience is a competitive advantage)
- You want to learn about ethical design but you’re not sure where to start
White Hat UX starts by defining UX — done in a straightforward way that allows people with limited UX knowledge to gain a clear understanding of the field.
Table of Contents
- White Hat, Grey Hat and Black Hat UX — A Brief Introduction to UX — Privacy Zuckering — Black Hat UX: 12 Design Patterns — UX Gone Wrong
- The Competition is Only a Click Away — Test Methods in UX — Test Reports and Release Notes — Windows 10 Privacy — Quality Assurance and Quality Control — Baseline
- The Principle of Least Astonishment — UX and Scrum — Shitstorms and Candystorms — Grey Hat UX: 7 Anti-Patterns
- Join the Light Side of the Force+
- White Hat UX Design Patterns — From Dark Patterns to White Hat UX — Becoming Proficient — Things Take Time — Strategic White Hat UX
About The Author
Trine Falbe is a researcher, consultant, speaker and lecturer focused on empowering people through ethical design. She is the author of the book White Hat UX.
She is deeply committed to working truly human centered and building honest, transparent experiences. Over the past years, a lot of her work has been focused on designing for, and with children.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions, we are right here to answer them. We love our customers, and we’d love to help you in any way or just listen to your story. So please feel free to ask questions via @smashingmag on Twitter — we’ll get back to you right away. Just in case: here are answers to some frequently asked questions.
- How much does shipping cost to my country?+
No shipping costs — wherever you are in the world! We ship everywhere, worldwide, via airmail shipping. What you see is what you pay. No ifs or buts.
- Delivery times to my country?+
All books will be shipped via airmail to keep delivery times as short as possible. You can find the anticipated delivery time for your country in the overview page on delivery times.
- Is the eBook included?+
Yes, of course! The eBook is included with printed books, so you can start reading the eBook right away. All eBooks are available in PDF, ePub and Amazon Kindle formats.
- What payment methods are accepted?+
We accept PayPal, VISA, MasterCard and American Express. Of course, we use a secure connection, with 256-bit AES encryption and a green GeoTrust Extended Validation SSL CA certificate. And no, we don’t store your credit card data on our servers. (Obviously.)
- Is there a money-back guarantee?+
Yes, absolutely! No risk at all — our 100-day full money-back guarantee keeps you safe. Don’t hesitate to return your purchase. You’ll get your money back without ifs, ands, or buts!
- I have a question that is not covered here.+