Heather Burns is aech policy and regulation specialist from Glasgow, Scotland. She researches, writes, and speaks extensively on laws, regulations, and political issues which impact the craft of web development. She hand-coded her first web site in 1997 and was a professional web designer from 2007-2015.
Heather is a component maintainer of the WordPress.org core privacy team, a founding member of a coalition of privacy team members collaborating across open source CMS projects, and was named a Mozilla Open Leader for her work on open source privacy.
Developing And Designing For Privacy
Protecting your users’ data is the most important thing you will ever do as a developer, but it isn’t always easy to know where to start. With GDPR, ePrivacy directive and upcoming legislation initiatives to regulate the use and collection of data, as designers and developers, we need to know how to design and build to avoid legal battles down the road.
In this webinar, you’ll learn:
- how to define a healthy approach to user privacy;
- integrate the Privacy by Design framework into your workflow;
- learn about current and upcoming privacy legislation;
- and pick up a few tools to help you evaluate your work for best privacy practice.
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- All About Icons
Marc Edwards on Oct 20, 2020 .
- Accessibility With(out) Priorities
Chen Hui Jing on Sep 1, 2020 .
- End-to-end Testing With A Real Browser
Umar Hansa on Aug 13, 2020 .
- Getting Projects Out The Door Faster And Less Painful
Kristina Podnar on Aug 6, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Bradbury Thompson: Type Can Be A tool, A Toy, And A Teacher
Andrew Clarke on Jul 28, 2020 .
- Enterprise Accessibility
Jerome Hardaway on Jul 21, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Emmett McBain: Art Direction As Social Equity
Andrew Clarke on Jul 2, 2020 .