Rémi Parmentier is a french front-end developer working at his own small web development agency, Tilt Studio. Rémi runs workshops, gives talks and writes articles on his blog to help others code better HTML emails. Rémi also likes Game Boy consoles and Jurassic Park.
Email Coding Guidelines
Coding HTML emails is a beast of its own with lots of differences from coding web pages. In this presentation, Rémi will share a few coding guidelines that will give you a better comprehension on how to make your emails code cleaner and work as good as possible in Gmail, Apple Mail and other mail clients.
We’ll cover most up-to-date email coding best practices. This includes the following issues:
- Use an HTML5 doctype.
- When to use <table>s for layout.
- Make an email work without <style>.
- Prefer modern styles over ancient HTML attributes.
- Use padding or margin for spacing.
- Improve the accessibility of your email.
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- All About Icons
Marc Edwards on Oct 20, 2020 .Recording available.
- Accessibility With(out) Priorities
Chen Hui Jing on Sep 1, 2020 .
- End-to-end Testing With A Real Browser
Umar Hansa on Aug 13, 2020 .
- Getting Projects Out The Door Faster And Less Painful
Kristina Podnar on Aug 6, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Bradbury Thompson: Type Can Be A tool, A Toy, And A Teacher
Andrew Clarke on Jul 28, 2020 .
- Enterprise Accessibility
Jerome Hardaway on Jul 21, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Emmett McBain: Art Direction As Social Equity
Andrew Clarke on Jul 2, 2020 .