Zach is a Web Craftsperson with the award winning Filament Group. He’s currently fixated on web fonts and static site generators. His public speaking résumé includes talks in eight different countries at events like Beyond Tellerrand, Smashing Conference, CSSConf, and The White House. He also helps herd NEJS CONF and the NebraskaJS meetup.
The Five Whys Of Web Font Loading Performance
Five Why’s is a nuts and bolts, practical, step-by-step walk-through case study to improve the web font performance of the default WordPress theme. It goes through the arsenal of tools we have at our disposal to improve web font loading, and shows real data on how each method changes the performance profile of the site.
In this webinar you’ll leave with:
- Why invisible text when a web font loads is bad.
- How to make text visible when a web font loads.
- Different methods to minimize reflow when fallback text re-renders with a web font.
- Performance considerations with third party hosting providers.
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- All About Icons
Marc Edwards on Oct 20, 2020 .Recording available.
- Accessibility With(out) Priorities
Chen Hui Jing on Sep 1, 2020 .
- End-to-end Testing With A Real Browser
Umar Hansa on Aug 13, 2020 .
- Getting Projects Out The Door Faster And Less Painful
Kristina Podnar on Aug 6, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Bradbury Thompson: Type Can Be A tool, A Toy, And A Teacher
Andrew Clarke on Jul 28, 2020 .
- Enterprise Accessibility
Jerome Hardaway on Jul 21, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions With Emmett McBain: Art Direction As Social Equity
Andrew Clarke on Jul 2, 2020 .