Zach is a Web Craftsperson with the award winning Filament Group. He’s currently fixated on web fonts and static site generators. His public speaking résumé includes talks in eight different countries at events like Beyond Tellerrand, Smashing Conference, CSSConf, and The White House. He also helps herd NEJS CONF and the NebraskaJS meetup.
The Five Whys Of Web Font Loading Performance
Five Why’s is a nuts and bolts, practical, step-by-step walk-through case study to improve the web font performance of the default WordPress theme. It goes through the arsenal of tools we have at our disposal to improve web font loading, and shows real data on how each method changes the performance profile of the site.
In this webinar you’ll leave with:
- Why invisible text when a web font loads is bad.
- How to make text visible when a web font loads.
- Different methods to minimize reflow when fallback text re-renders with a web font.
- Performance considerations with third party hosting providers.
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- Inspired Design Decisions: Otto Storch (Typography And Layout)
Andrew Clarke on Mar 24, 2020 .
- Building A Modern Electron App With React Hooks
Cassidy Williams on Mar 19, 2020 .
- Live UX Review, With Paul Boag
Paul Boag on Mar 10, 2020 .
- Video Killed My Data Plan: Performant Video Delivery On The Web
Doug Sillars on Feb 25, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions: Neville Brody
Andrew Clarke on Feb 4, 2020 .
- TypeScript For Smashing People
Stefan Baumgartner on Jan 29, 2020 .
- Form Design Patterns With Adam Silver
Adam Silver on Jan 15, 2020 .