Andy Clarke is a well-known web designer, design consultant, and mentor. He’s been called plenty of things since he started working on the web. His ego likes terms such as “Ambassador for CSS,” “industry prophet,” and “inspiring,” but he’s most proud that Jeffrey Zeldman once called him a “triple-talented bastard.” With his wife Sue, Andy founded Stuff & Nonsense in 1998, where they’ve helped companies around the world to improve their designs by providing consulting and design expertise.
Inspired Design Decisions: Otto Storch (Typography And Layout)
Until a few months ago, Andy Clarke hadn’t heard of Brooklyn-born designer Otto Storch. Although he was an award-winning graphic designer, unlike many of his contemporaries, Storch and his work have been largely overlooked. Storch amassed a vast body of work, and it’s an incredible shame that his work isn’t more widely known, especially online. There’s no Wikipedia page devoted to Storch, and no one has published a book about him or his work.
Otto Storch was a prolific designer and in this seventh instalment of Inspired Design Decisions webinars, Andy Clarke will explore how Storch inspires his designs for the web. By the end of the session you will find answers to the following questions:
- How do we use CSS Shapes to go beyond basic shapes to add energy to our designs?
- How do we use rotations on text for extra impact?
- How can we use mirroring and reflections to add interest to a design?
Enter password to watch:
Tools and Setup
To join Smashing TV webinars, please install the Zoom client for Meetings, which is available for all the main OSs. It may take a little time to download and install, so please grab it ahead of time if you can. If you are a Smashing Member, please sign in first. Once you did, return to this page, and you should see a webinar URL.
We run practical sessions every week. No fluff, just actionable techniques and strategies for building and designing better experiences. Here are a few recent ones:
- Inspired Design Decisions: Otto Storch (Typography And Layout)
Andrew Clarke on Mar 24, 2020 .
- Building A Modern Electron App With React Hooks
Cassidy Williams on Mar 19, 2020 .
- Live UX Review, With Paul Boag
Paul Boag on Mar 10, 2020 .
- Video Killed My Data Plan: Performant Video Delivery On The Web
Doug Sillars on Feb 25, 2020 .
- Inspired Design Decisions: Neville Brody
Andrew Clarke on Feb 4, 2020 .
- TypeScript For Smashing People
Stefan Baumgartner on Jan 29, 2020 .
- Form Design Patterns With Adam Silver
Adam Silver on Jan 15, 2020 .